Tips on sleeping better? 25 replies

Please wait...

FileTrekker Über Admin

I'm spending a year dead for tax reasons.

269,315 XP

15th December 2002

87 Uploads

22,519 Posts

1,747 Threads

#1 2 years ago

So, I'm shit at sleeping.

I'm shit at falling asleep, shit at staying asleep, shit at getting out of bed when I wake up because, yes, I've had little sleep.

I don't know what it is, some days I'm worse than others, but it's been a long time since I had a good night of sleep. Are there any remedies or strategies you guys use to help you go to sleep and, just as importantly, stay asleep?

Danny King | Community Manager | GameFront.com

Andron Taps Forum Mod

Faktrl is Best Pony

261,593 XP

10th September 2007

4 Uploads

21,746 Posts

1,754 Threads

#2 2 years ago

I use prescription medication, but you can get OTC benadryl (diphenhydramine) gel capsules in a 12 pack for $1.  I would start with that and see how it works.

"I'd shush her zephyr." ~ Zephyr.

random_soldier1337

I live on Gaming Forums

452 XP

17th June 2008

0 Uploads

2,039 Posts

5 Threads

#3 2 years ago

Is there something troubling you perhaps? Like serious, "My life is so fucked," trouble or something that you simply can't stop thinking about. I was going through a slightly rough patch recently and found it hard but nowadays things have eased up and I find that I can persist on 7-8 hours of sleep per day. Whereas during those times even 10 hours didn't feel enough and I fell asleep at like 2 in the morning.

Also I find it best not to focus on something while trying to sleep. It usually keeps you awake. Try to either shut off your brain (don't think AT ALL; it's difficult but it's a form of meditation) or think in abstract, wordless thoughts. Paint a pretty picture in your head of strange worlds and enthralling cosmic vistas or something like that. That's usually what I do when I get too focused and start literally talking to myself in my head.

Oh and maybe practice a healthy lifestyle. Most everybody seems to, here but I'm not sure about every user. Jog a good sweat up whenever you can, eat according to the food pyramid and what not.

EDIT: Or yeah as above and for most of everybody here who would pretty much be skeptical towards my post, see a doctor, get meds, hallucinogens, alcohol, smoke weed, etc. But seriously, if it is bothering you that much and seems severe enough may be best to just see a doctor. There really is no other way around it, especially if you are not willing to try anything else.

unic0rn

50 XP

2nd May 2016

0 Uploads

239 Posts

0 Threads

#4 2 years ago
Lindale Forum Mod

Mister Angry Rules Guy

241,130 XP

1st February 2010

0 Uploads

23,429 Posts

2 Threads

#5 2 years ago

Chamomile tea.

filesnation_by_lindale_ff-da1kplo.png

Barbas

Hound dog

50 XP

2nd May 2016

0 Uploads

440 Posts

0 Threads

#6 2 years ago

Try having a bath or shower about an hour or less before you go to bed, and don't eat anything in that last hour, or drink anything besides water. That should at least stop you from waking up during the night.

Calvin%2B%2526%2BHobbes%2Bsnow%2Bforts.jpg

Serio VIP Member

The Dane

149,931 XP

11th November 2006

3 Uploads

12,511 Posts

38 Threads

#7 2 years ago

I can say this from years of personal experience; stay away from valerian. Yes, it's effective, but it has some of the most annoying after-effects. It makes you drowsy as hell the day after, to the point where concentrating and functioning is impossible.

I suggest staying away from caffeine, as the most obvious pointer. Maybe put on some piano music when you get home, to wind yourself down?

Mikey Über Admin

Caffiene Fuelled Ravings of an undiagnosed Sociopath.

45,925 XP

13th June 2008

1 Uploads

3,881 Posts

218 Threads

#8 2 years ago

"FileTrekker"So, I'm shit at sleeping.

I'm shit at falling asleep, shit at staying asleep, shit at getting out of bed when I wake up because, yes, I've had little sleep.

I don't know what it is, some days I'm worse than others, but it's been a long time since I had a good night of sleep. Are there any remedies or strategies you guys use to help you go to sleep and, just as importantly, stay asleep?

I used and got addicted to sleeping pills.

That sure was fun.

I would not recommend it.

Mikey - GameFront.com - Lead Developer

Lindale Forum Mod

Mister Angry Rules Guy

241,130 XP

1st February 2010

0 Uploads

23,429 Posts

2 Threads

#9 2 years ago

Also, don't look at a screen within the last hour. That means the telly, the computer, your phone, anything. No electronics within the last hour.

filesnation_by_lindale_ff-da1kplo.png

Aeia

Live with honor, die for justice!

90 XP

3rd May 2016

0 Uploads

181 Posts

1 Threads

#10 2 years ago

I had some good tips in mind which always work for me, but then found out that members here have already posted most of them.

First, I do agree with random_soldier1337. I can't say that you are stressed, but yes, you do appear to be a thinking machine all times. Today I did this and that successfully and tomorrow I need to accomplish that and that, but if this and that happens then this can't be done like this and that might happen which will lead to ... There is no quick, immediate cure of overthinking. You will need to change your mindset slowly and let your mind relax and rejoice at what you have accomplished already, instead of only focussing at what you want to accomplish in the future/now. A high strung mind usually ends up with shallow, disturbed sleep and disturbed, annoying dreams.

I wouldn't say that all electronics are bad for sleep, but yes, bright screens would definitely have to be shutdown or laid aside when you hit the bed. Unless you have a job in the defense ministry or you work overtime as a contract killer, turn off your phone or put it on offline/flight mode before sleeping. A better idea would be to put your phone on pager mode, but most modern phones don't have that profile available. Phone gaming is severely discouraged.

Also, reading a book (paperback, not electronic) helps a great deal with sleep. Especially fiction work in genres of fantasy, folk legends of some indigenous people, and also childhood stories. I have discovered how interesting childhood stories are to read!

Sleep in complete and utter dark. The only light you can/should have, should be starlight/moonlight, coming from an open window. Turn off the night-bulb and shutdown any inlet of light pollution. Red and yellow colored lights are especially bad for sleep.

Don't stress yourself for sleep. If you cannot sleep, don't get worried or stressful. Think about fantasy worlds, mages and wizards and fairies and Na'vi people and treasure hunts and dinosaurs ... if you find your thoughts returning to daily business again and again, don't try to push them. Instead, simply start thinking about your fantasy world/story where you left it.

Washing your legs (upto knees) with cold water, 20 minutes before hitting the bed, sends much of the blood towards the leg area and helps make you sleepy. A better idea might be taking a full shower with cold water. Just make sure you don't freeze yourself to death.

Power gym, 2-3 hours before the bed would exhaust your body sufficiently to help your mind relax.

And lastly, if you have digestion problems, none of the above will work until you rectify them first.