US Olympic swimmers lie about being robbed 3 replies

Please wait...

FileTrekker Über Admin

I'm spending a year dead for tax reasons.

267,181 XP

15th December 2002

36 Uploads

22,453 Posts

1,698 Threads

#1 2 years ago

Two swimmers from the US Olympic team lied to police about being robbed after a night out. Brazilian police were suspicious from the beginning as their statements didn't make sense.

They have apologised and returned to the US after one agreed to pay $11,000 to a charity to avoid prosecution.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-37127499

Nutty, really. Why they would feel the need to ruin potentially one of the biggest moments of their careers with this sort of madness is beyond me. Alcohol, I guess, but one would assume athletes shouldn't be drinking anyway?

Danny King | Community Manager | GameFront.com

Serio VIP Member

The Dane

149,846 XP

11th November 2006

3 Uploads

12,506 Posts

37 Threads

#2 2 years ago
But Rio's civil police head Fernando Veloso said the four Olympic gold medallists had not been robbed.

I guess they'd know who they rob. They have standards.

RadioactiveLobster Forum Admin

Jeff is a mean boss

565,221 XP

28th July 2002

0 Uploads

53,112 Posts

1,329 Threads

#3 2 years ago

What f'ing morons.

From what I understand, they don't have to lie. Just spend enough time in RIO and you're bound to get mugged at some point.

If there is no image, Mikey broke something...

Nemmerle Forum Mod

Voice of joy and sunshine

298,291 XP

26th May 2003

0 Uploads

28,141 Posts

5 Threads

#4 2 years ago

'Rio police say'... for whatever that's worth. Right up there with, 'a country that engages in ethnic cleansing claimed.'

There are no particularly credible parties in this. I could totally see a couple of people having a good night and breaking a door. I could also see police not authenticating their identities, or even - considering the area - trying to do so and being misunderstood or not believed. Or even armed security guards trying to restrain someone and it being taken as a robbery, especially if the person is confused.

Could be anything, some of the things it could be aren't even mutually exclusive.