The Bad

217,010 XP

7th December 2003

0 Uploads

20,003 Posts

6 Threads

#1 1 year ago

Do you wear them? What kind?

I never really cared about watches and haven't worn them ever since mobile phones were able to display the time. Recently I have looked a bit into the topic of higher quality watches and kind of like them. Those watches are marketed for a niche group by companies that seem a little shady, so I don't trust them to be reliable.

To elaborate a bit, I'm a bit of an aerospace fanboy and watchmakers have a long tradition of selling products by pretending to be somehow associated with watches. It is true that precise watches used to be important in navigation and that some watches made it into space, but it is mostly marketing. There are two companies in particular that I like. One sells watches that use old German aircraft/engineer brand names. Here are two examples I like:

Spoiler: Show
b15428044d61-3027b3dd.jpg
53feb1bc7727-3027b3dd.jpg

The other sells new watches under the name of an old Soviet brand (translation: navigator's).

26193662710_1_574572a70a963.jpg

Then there are of course brands like Breitling or Breguet who can be relied to make high quality watches but have insane price tags...

Andron Taps Forum Mod

Faktrl is Best Pony

261,592 XP

10th September 2007

4 Uploads

21,746 Posts

1,754 Threads

#2 1 year ago

Not really, but I kind of used to have a goal where if I was in a job where I made enough money I'd save up for a Rolex.  Specifically one of these:

Rolex Submariner Actually I once went into a jewelry store that sells them (the kind where they have to buzz you in) because I just wanted to see one up close and I told the lady there, "Heh, maybe when I graduate from law school," in an obviously facetious tone and she asked me when was graduation :p

Still, you never know.  Also, your pics aren't showing.

"I'd shush her zephyr." ~ Zephyr.

MrFancypants Forum Admin

The Bad

217,010 XP

7th December 2003

0 Uploads

20,003 Posts

6 Threads

#3 1 year ago

Pics are showing for me, maybe I'll just paste the links if it doesn't work.

I don't know about Rolex. I associate it with an exaggerated, ostentatious display of wealth. I don't mind expensive watches per se, but 10k€ is a bit too much. I own one rather expensive watch (family heirloom), an Omega Speedmaster Professional Mk II, but I don't like the design too much, so I don't usually wear it.

Lindale Forum Mod

Mister Angry Rules Guy

241,125 XP

1st February 2010

0 Uploads

23,429 Posts

2 Threads

#4 1 year ago

I don't need a watch because my phone already has a clock. Honestly, I have not used a watch at all since clocks on phones became a thing.

"MrFancypants"I don't know about Rolex. I associate it with an exaggerated, ostentatious display of wealth.

Because it is. You are paying for the privilege of wearing the name, not the watch.

filesnation_by_lindale_ff-da1kplo.png

FileTrekker Über Admin

I'm spending a year dead for tax reasons.

269,297 XP

15th December 2002

85 Uploads

22,518 Posts

1,747 Threads

#5 1 year ago

I do wear a silver analogue watch, not a super expensive one, but I like to have a real watch - for some reason I find it much more natural to check the time on the watch than my phone or whatever, feels a lot more convenient.

I tried just using a phone for the time for a while and I hated it, honestly.

Danny King | Community Manager | GameFront.com

MrFancypants Forum Admin

The Bad

217,010 XP

7th December 2003

0 Uploads

20,003 Posts

6 Threads

#6 1 year ago
"Lindale"I don't need a watch because my phone already has a clock. Honestly, I have not used a watch at all since clocks on phones became a thing.

That was my mentality for the last years. Nowadays they force me to wear "business casual" all day long. I don't like it, but I get paid for it. And since I get paid for it I can do it right. A nice watch works well with a suit, I think.

Don't really want to spend too much on it though. I started reading up on watches, quartz vs mechanical, companies and types. Kind of fun.

Serio VIP Member

The Dane

149,931 XP

11th November 2006

3 Uploads

12,511 Posts

38 Threads

#7 1 year ago

You could always get a smartwatch. When you're not using it, it's just a standard watch with a digital face. When you need it, you can use it to set your calendar, send messages, transfer money. 

Nemmerle Forum Mod

Voice of joy and sunshine

298,365 XP

26th May 2003

0 Uploads

28,147 Posts

5 Threads

#8 1 year ago

Hmm, I've got one of these. Actually, precisely this one since this is a photo of it :p

abRq48p.png

It's handy for meetings and when you want to escape from a conversation without getting your phone out and being really rude. There are pluses and minuses to it. I imagine the utility of them is going to increase as voice recognition gets better - which kinda goes for small form factor devices in general IMO.

MrFancypants Forum Admin

The Bad

217,010 XP

7th December 2003

0 Uploads

20,003 Posts

6 Threads

#9 1 year ago

I don't really like the design of most smart watches. There are some hybrid watches that look ok, but I think the functionality is very basic. Pretty sure I'm more in the market for a lower end mechanical watch.

Nemmerle Forum Mod

Voice of joy and sunshine

298,365 XP

26th May 2003

0 Uploads

28,147 Posts

5 Threads

#10 1 year ago

Well, Timex are alright for that sort of thing. Or were, I think. :/