Follow A Paranoid

186,730 XP

25th November 2006

0 Uploads

18,518 Posts

0 Threads

#1 2 years ago

Time Travel Impossible

I guess we have to classify Back to the future, Dr. who and all the other works of sci-fi that has time travel elements in it as fantasy now.

Thanks alot science.

Signature brought to you by Carl's Jr.

Lindale Forum Mod

Mister Angry Rules Guy

241,005 XP

1st February 2010

0 Uploads

23,420 Posts

2 Threads

#2 2 years ago

Except, you should not be classifying Dr. Who as possible anyway. As a Dr. Who fan, you need to be open to accepting the silly, and the absurd. That is just how it works.

filesnation_by_lindale_ff-da1kplo.png

Dipship

Smarter than your average stump.

71 XP

26th June 2003

0 Uploads

26,967 Posts

0 Threads

#3 2 years ago

Crap, there goes my retirement plan.

When in doubt, gas it!

NeoRanger

The Curse of Snake

50 XP

29th August 2004

0 Uploads

180 Posts

0 Threads

#4 2 years ago

Didn't we already know that? I thought we did.

Regardless, Doctor Who is science fantasy (as Terry Pratchet described it once), but considering that this is still theoretical, any other material that's mostly scientifically accurate can probably still be considered science fiction.

FileTrekker Über Admin

I'm spending a year dead for tax reasons.

268,521 XP

15th December 2002

69 Uploads

22,494 Posts

1,729 Threads

#5 2 years ago

This isn't strictly true.

Time travel into the future, for example, isn't just theoretically possible, it's scientifically a proven and a fundamental part of general relativity.

Anything that is moving faster through the universe than an object relative to it is travelling through time more slowly than the object moving more slowly, on a basic level, the faster you go, the slower time passes.

By getting on a high speed train I am, ever so slightly, travelling into the future compared to someone remaining stationary, by a tiny tiny tiny tiny tiny amount.

Geostationary satellites pull this off every day. Because time passes more slowly for objects in orbit of the Earth by something in the order of a sixth of a billionth of a second, satellites in orbit are constantly travelling slowly into the future relative to us here on Earth. Every now and again, they have to be resynchronized with time here on Earth.

If you could travel away from the Earth at a great speed, then return, you can leap a fair distance into the future. The faster to the speed of light you can travel, the further into the future you can go.

So time travel into the future isn't just theory, it is scientifically proven as possible.

Time travel into the past is another problem altogether.

While there's no real physics problem that would prevent it; it does violate the laws of causality in a very serious way.

The past can be observed, however, and we're observing the intent history of the universe all the time. As the universe is so huge, and light takes so long, billions of billions of billions of years to travel across it, we can observe this light and look right back into the distant past, to the beginnings of the Universe itself.

There is a theory that travelling faster than the speed of light would potentially have permitted travel back in time; but more than likely what would happen is if you travel faster than the speed of light, you would become massless and effectively accelerate at an infinite rate; you would essentially be everywhere, all of the time, and therefor that would be impossible.

So time travel into the past is impossible, as far as we understand the laws of the universe today.

But there are other theoretical ways scientists believe that time travelling into the past may not necessarily be impossible. Certain types of black hole, for example, may potentially be able to tunnel through the fabric of space time, but this is some pretty hard quantum mechanics tackle that is a bit beyond what I understand, but nontheless, worth reading.

In any event the conclusions in that clickbait article are not definitive at all! 

Danny King | Community Manager | GameFront.com

Serio VIP Member

The Dane

149,897 XP

11th November 2006

3 Uploads

12,508 Posts

38 Threads

#6 2 years ago

Light can't travel faster than light? I'd never have guessed. Next, they'll tell me that the sun can't be brighter than itself!

As FT pointed out, there are numerous theories as to how time travel might be accomplished. The simple truth is that time travel is a fringe science; it's legitimate, but it's far from a position where we can actually apply it to experiments. We have science that's constantly changing the way we look at the universe, and there's no telling whether time travel might be possible in a decade or two. Or never. Fringe science is sketchy like that :p

There is a theory that travelling faster than the speed of light would potentially have permitted travel back in time; but more than likely what would happen is if you travel faster than the speed of light, you would become massless and effectively accelerate at an infinite rate; you would essentially be everywhere, all of the time, and therefor that would be impossible.

Not if you're Varys.

Mr. Matt VIP Member

#BanRadioActiveLobster

356,405 XP

17th June 2002

7 Uploads

33,654 Posts

779 Threads

#7 2 years ago

I'm travelling through time as we speak.

Commissar MercZ

Notable Loser

300,005 XP

29th January 2005

0 Uploads

27,113 Posts

0 Threads

#8 2 years ago

pfff, those morons, I have a time machine on my wrist

but yeah what FileTrekker said- going to the future through relativistic travel is possible. You don't need to be traveling faster than the speed of light in this case either, so the researchers stating that a photon can't exceed that speed in the article doesn't preclude that here, but going back in time is another thing entirely and isn't possible in our current understanding.

Plus going back to the past just invites headaches trying to figure out whether you've caused a paradox and/or plot hole and of course as Futurama showed us, becoming your own grandfather somehow.

Serio VIP Member

The Dane

149,897 XP

11th November 2006

3 Uploads

12,508 Posts

38 Threads

#9 2 years ago
"MercZ"Plus going back to the past just invites headaches trying to figure out whether you've caused a paradox and/or plot hole and of course as Futurama showed us, becoming your own grandfather somehow.

I believe the concept of a multiverse might make it more understandable. In the case of a multiverse, we're living in a single universe surrounded by many others. If we were to travel back in time and change time, that would spawn a new universe the moment we jump back. Then you can work out all sorts of fun ideas about why we haven't seen time travellers yet. Maybe our planet blows up before we find time travel. Maybe there's a temporal police.

Or maybe we just can't travel in time at all.

Silberio VIP Member

Bourée

392,781 XP

9th October 2007

0 Uploads

37,217 Posts

3 Threads

#10 2 years ago

I still can't freaking grasp the whole relativity thing, specifically that with that if you travel at the speed of light you're basically travelling in time. Anyone care to give me a dumbproof explanation? I've seen interstellar, feel free to use it as example.

qjyUJrq.png