Andron Taps Forum Mod

Faktrl is Best Pony

261,592 XP

10th September 2007

4 Uploads

21,746 Posts

1,754 Threads

#1 1 year ago

One of the biggest questions philosophers have ever had is what does it mean to live a good life full of wonder and happiness, where all of our needs are met and we want for nothing?

The search for the answer has been around probably as long as the question and shows no sign of ever going away, so I have often pondered my own existence and what it is I want out of my existence.  This definition can take so many forms; however, I tend to classify synonyms by orders of degree.  For instance, words like satisfied, happy, and fulfilled I tend to rank in ascending order.  Satisfied to me means you've met some minor goal and it will give you some sort of good feeling that lasts for a decent while but will soon need to be replaced by a new form of satisfaction, whereas happiness tends to be consistent feeling because you are in an active position that supports your interests and goals and meets virtually all the criteria for those little satisfactions.  But fulfillment is where it gets a bit tricky.  I guess some people look at this as a lifelong commitment or a lifelong enduring emotion or idea that transcends time and tragedy.  Possible examples include: leaving a legacy behind, a family, a marriage, or a life's work that influenced a lot of others.  Still, there are so many other very broad and very specific answers, so I'm curious as to what you classify as fulfillment?  And feel free to redefine or re-order the degree(s) of satisfaction or happiness while you're at it if you wish.

"I'd shush her zephyr." ~ Zephyr.

MrFancypants Forum Admin

The Bad

217,010 XP

7th December 2003

0 Uploads

20,003 Posts

6 Threads

#2 1 year ago

For me it is mostly family. Family gives me the feeling to have done something that is very right. I didn't know before starting a family, so it is probably one of these biochemical alterations that parents undergo. Kids mess with your brain. And of course there are a many drawbacks. But there are those moments that make up for it.

Aside from that I am not so sure. I like to learn, but that is more of a conscious choice on how to set priorities. I think the only thing from my pre-family life that comes close are certain moments when I listen to really good music. For some people, in some situations (reasonably relaxed, music needs to be loud), that can have a drug-like effect. What also works pretty well is nature.

Nemmerle Forum Mod

Voice of joy and sunshine

298,365 XP

26th May 2003

0 Uploads

28,147 Posts

5 Threads

#3 1 year ago

Fulfilment, taken as an absolute - like many other states when applied to humans - is death. People do not simplify well to absolutes. We can conceive of such a thing, but when we imagine it applying to ourselves we cease to be people. To say, 'That's enough, I'm done now. That's it.' Why seek anything more - even another meal - if all one's will is met? If you really have nothing else you want to accomplish, not to see your children grow up, not to struggle with a puzzle, not to see your wife smile again... if you're just fulfilled in all respects. Why are you still here? Why are you trying to put more in a cup that is full? The end of desire must surely entail the end of life. And if one's desire is not ended, then how is one fulfilled?

I remember watching, or trying to watch, Aria once. It's a Japanese anime, really soft; saccharine. The term for them is Iyashikei. It spoke to me not of a life well lived but of death. The entire show seemed to be a mausoleum. The characters seemed happy but also drugged on that happiness, lacking any vital spark. Contrast and compare Haibane Renmie, which was a more... mature... show that explored themes of death, redemption, sin, friendship.... It's one of the few pieces of art that changed my outlook on people.

It was the change, the challenges that those characters went through that gave those bonds meaning and allowed one to sympathise with them.

We're all born broken, and we all die broken - and we're all broken in different ways. And that's okay. It's in that trying to relate to one another in a changing world that all the value and beauty of humanity lives. If there's anything divine it's there, in that space between us, in the struggle.

Superfluous Curmudgeon VIP Member

AOE2 Addict

11,741 XP

22nd December 2007

0 Uploads

794 Posts

9 Threads

#4 1 year ago

Don't have a bloody clue.

Lindale Forum Mod

Mister Angry Rules Guy

241,125 XP

1st February 2010

0 Uploads

23,429 Posts

2 Threads

#5 1 year ago

Fulfilment is being able to live independently on your own, and NOT having to live paycheck to paycheck. If you want to spend a few weeks Switzerland, you have the finances to to do so.

filesnation_by_lindale_ff-da1kplo.png