Nemmerle Forum Mod

Voice of joy and sunshine

298,291 XP

26th May 2003

0 Uploads

28,141 Posts

5 Threads

#1 2 years ago

So, Windows 10 was, arguably, their attempt to sell cross-device services. They seem to be giving up on the mobile market and that's where a lot of the data lives....

What's their plan? They've given away Windows 10. And yeah it'll be bought with new devices but that's a shrinking market. They've given away a lot of good-will with all this forced upgrade shit.

I don't know. I liked Windows Phone when I had one. I'm sad to see it hasn't gone anywhere. What do you all reckon they're up to? Just lost the plot and jumped off a cliff or something clever?

FileTrekker Über Admin

I'm spending a year dead for tax reasons.

267,069 XP

15th December 2002

36 Uploads

22,450 Posts

1,695 Threads

#2 2 years ago

I don't think they're really in the operating system business anymore, they're into cloud services and business tools, this is where their core strengths have always been, they just realise it now.

They don't care if Windows 10 makes them any money (it's no longer the cash cow, Azure is); it's a shrinking business, not a growing one, as is the PC market in general. They have no realistic chance of breaking into consumer mobile.

I think they'll stay in mobile hardware to some degree, but it'll be aimed squarely at businesses, sold en-messe (and maybe unlocked if you can afford it) and probably be Surface branded, much like the HP phone that they recently released. The idea will be to push running business apps in the cloud so they can run on the phones via Continuum and Azure; as well as providing the phones with all the business controls and management that they need.

Windows 10 is just there because they want as many people off legacy Windows as they can, in the long term, the less versions of Windows they have to worry about supporting the better is for everyone, it's a bit of a long term strategy. But they don't care about people buying Windows, they just want people developing using their cloud, and having people on Windows gives them the opportunity to push their developer tools, products and services.

But yeah Microsoft don't give two shits about making money from Windows itself. That's a by-gone era. They can afford to take these kinds of crazy experiments with the Windows business now that Azure is the main source of income.

I mean fuck, Bash on Ubuntu on Windows? It's all about encouraging developers and use of their dev ecosystem to push cloud growth.

Danny King | Community Manager | GameFront.com

unic0rn

50 XP

2nd May 2016

0 Uploads

239 Posts

0 Threads

#3 2 years ago

ever heard of microsoft surface?

surface phone is said to be around the corner and it's supposed to replace the whole lumia range afaik. lets just hope that they'll think twice this time and put a damn x84/x64 in it, because the whole idea of continuum would be instantly upgraded from almost-useless-piece-of-crap to pc-in-your-pocket. backwards compatibility with regular windows apps, that's what their platform needs. as long as they focus on universal apps in js and .net only, their smartphones are useless for most people.

it's extremely stupid, one would expect them to figure it out that before reaping the benefits of own software market, they should make the whole platform popular first by allowing people to use their smartphones as a regular windows desktop, with the ability to run regular software that's not available in microsoft's store. that of course is a security risk caused by sideloading apps, but letting people do what they want and run what they want, would be an instant win and windows 10 mobile with continuum on x64 would outsell android in a matter of two years. heck, the whole continuum could be running in a 'desktop sandbox', protecting the rest of the system.

of course, a smartphone with atom cpu for example, isn't exactly a gaming rig, but for most popular tasks - and even for running some older games - it would be perfect.

i was cheering for microsoft when they've released windows phone 8 and when windows 10 was in the making. their policy of pushing windows 10 down people's throats though, and a complete fuckup of windows phone/windows 10 mobile market, changed my mind. i can accept what they're doing with windows 10 if they'll release a smartphone with windows 10 mobile, running on x64 cpu, able to run regular windows apps. such a thing would be an instant win for them. if they won't do it, well. they won't die easily, they've got too much cash and windows is, unfortunately, too popular - but they're taking first steps in the right direction.

and as soon as they're close enough to a cliff, everyone will kick them in their ass.

unic0rn

50 XP

2nd May 2016

0 Uploads

239 Posts

0 Threads

#4 2 years ago

"FileTrekker"I don't think they're really in the operating system business anymore, they're into cloud services and business tools, this is where their core strengths have always been, they just realise it now.

They don't care if Windows 10 makes them any money (it's no longer the cash cow, Azure is); it's a shrinking business, not a growing one, as is the PC market in general. They have no realistic chance of breaking into consumer mobile.

I think they'll stay in mobile hardware to some degree, but it'll be aimed squarely at businesses, sold en-messe (and maybe unlocked if you can afford it) and probably be Surface branded, much like the HP phone that they recently released. The idea will be to push running business apps in the cloud so they can run on the phones via Continuum and Azure; as well as providing the phones with all the business controls and management that they need.

Windows 10 is just there because they want as many people off legacy Windows as they can, in the long term, the less versions of Windows they have to worry about supporting the better is for everyone, it's a bit of a long term strategy. But they don't care about people buying Windows, they just want people developing using their cloud, and having people on Windows gives them the opportunity to push their developer tools, products and services.

But yeah Microsoft don't give two shits about making money from Windows itself. That's a by-gone era. They can afford to take these kinds of crazy experiments with the Windows business now that Azure is the main source of income.

I mean fuck, Bash on Ubuntu on Windows? It's all about encouraging developers and use of their dev ecosystem to push cloud growth.

i can understand your reasoning, but i disagree. there's a certain support period for all windows versions. they could as well just hold it at windows 7 or windows 8.1, extend the support period for all eternity and tell people that if they want, they can migrate to linux or anything else - heck, they could be even porting their own software to linux. because why the fuck not?

because they still care about the OS market. their push for windows 10 has nothing to do with supporting multiple versions and everything with their software market and - to quite a degree - xbox one and games being released for both platforms at once. software being sold in their store = instant profit for them. someone else writes the software, someone else does the support, you're reaping some part of the benefits - can you imagine easier income?

Aeia

Live with honor, die for justice!

90 XP

3rd May 2016

0 Uploads

181 Posts

1 Threads

#5 2 years ago

Aha, a phone OS which is able to run all windows desktop apps, with backward compatibility for old windows versions?

Wah wah! Does it mean I'd be able to use those old, now defunct keyloggers and trojans I programmed in vb6, a dozen years ago when I was a punk in programming?

And also, would it mean that if I get a windows phone (which, btw, I never ever will), I'd have to install some very good antivirus in it too? The way I have to install it on my desktop computer and laptop?

unic0rn

50 XP

2nd May 2016

0 Uploads

239 Posts

0 Threads

#6 2 years ago

it could be sandboxed. technically, it's not a problem, the only reason why it's impossible on lumias and other arm-based windows 10 mobile phones, is well, the fact that they're using arm cpus. as for the software, everything that works under windows 10, would work under windows 10 mobile. those systems are far more similar than you think, that's the whole reason it's called windows 10 mobile and not windows phone anymore.