Andron Taps Forum Mod

Faktrl is Best Pony

261,496 XP

10th September 2007

4 Uploads

21,740 Posts

1,754 Threads

#1 2 years ago

At the moment, I'm working on getting through the semester with good scores.  After that I guess my first goal would be to find a good job and an apartment, not necessarily in that order :p  

Anyone here have any next steps they're orchestrating atm?

"I'd shush her zephyr." ~ Zephyr.

Nemmerle Forum Mod

Voice of joy and sunshine

298,325 XP

26th May 2003

0 Uploads

28,144 Posts

5 Threads

#2 2 years ago

Finish the procedures for this contract I'm administrating at the moment. Then give it a month or so to settle in, get the kinks worked out.

It's a bit stressful/busy at the moment, because it's something I... realistically... get to do this once, under time-pressure, and it's got to be perfect in certain respects or an entire quarter's worth of work for a team of four people goes right down the drain. The market value of their work is sensitively dependent on compliance with a larger contract.

After that... who knows? Strictly speaking I've a contract to then run the procedures I'm making for two years. I don't think that's going to be the entire working day. So, I'll want to take on projects at that company if possible. Get into a position - ideally - where two years down the line I can either continue in a comparable role or move elsewhere in the company.

I do like this procedure making side of things, going 'We need to do things this way and within this here's the most efficient way. How do you like working? How can we work that into our procedures so it's testable, auditable, measurable?' I'm... good at this sort of stuff. And... I definitely prefer it to the more client-facing side of things I've been working in for the last few years. I like having professional relationships with people who actually want to be there and when they say they'll do something bloody well do it :p

From what I've seen of it so far, it seems to be a nice place to work. Very large company. Everyone I've met so far seems to be nice and polite. Yeah, I could see myself staying here. Really sort of big picture fanciful dreams scenario, I wouldn't mind running a process, auditing and compliance department - or something like that - for them on these sorts of contracts.

MoreGun89

53 XP

28th July 2004

0 Uploads

2,426 Posts

0 Threads

#3 2 years ago

Obtain higher salary within the coming year by 25% minimum, pretty straightforward, just navigating communications and new requirements suddenly appearing is making it difficult and time consuming. 

Mother Banhammer

Silberio VIP Member

Bourée

392,744 XP

9th October 2007

0 Uploads

37,216 Posts

2 Threads

#4 2 years ago

Getting into a Java developer programme (I have an entry test this monday, wish luck) to get my degree and move to Oregon with bae.

qjyUJrq.png

FileTrekker Über Admin

I'm spending a year dead for tax reasons.

267,363 XP

15th December 2002

36 Uploads

22,459 Posts

1,702 Threads

#5 2 years ago

I recently got promoted to a entry level management position, so hopefully this will be an opportunity to start moving up the management ladder, after spending 10 years working as a grease monkey.

I still wish I had the balls to go full time at my own business, though.

Danny King | Community Manager | GameFront.com

Primarch Vulkan VIP Member

For the Emperor! Knights of Caliban!

154,320 XP

16th March 2004

0 Uploads

13,497 Posts

0 Threads

#6 2 years ago

my next step? trying to stop working contract jobs and get a full-time job

[color=#000000][size=2][b][i]Heralds of the coming doom, Like the cry of the Raven, we are drawn, This oath of war and vengeance, On a blade of exalted iron sworn, With blood anointed swords

Nemmerle Forum Mod

Voice of joy and sunshine

298,325 XP

26th May 2003

0 Uploads

28,144 Posts

5 Threads

#7 2 years ago

"FileTrekker"I recently got promoted to a entry level management position, so hopefully this will be an opportunity to start moving up the management ladder, after spending 10 years working as a grease monkey.

I still wish I had the balls to go full time at my own business, though.

Oh, if you're getting into management, manager tools is a very useful service:

https://www.manager-tools.com

Their podcasts, (excellent) are free.... :)

They've also come out with a book recently.

HimoHawk

MOT

50 XP

2nd May 2005

0 Uploads

370 Posts

0 Threads

#8 2 years ago

I have just quit my job and moved halfway across the planet on a whim!

Well, not quite. I worked in HR at Asda (Walmart UK) and hated it. I couldn't  reconcile the idea of working for a huge multinational with my own politics and philosophies and it was taking a toll on my wellbeing. After 2.5 years, enough was enough and I decided to spunk my savings and go back to school. So here I am, having left England for Montreal to do an MA in History at the prestigious McGill University. Fucking loving it so far but not got a clue what I'm doing after. Just going to try and enjoy the ride, throw myself into my studies and see what happens.