Why is everything "outragous" centered on Twitter? 9 replies

Please wait...

FileTrekker Über Admin

I'm spending a year dead for tax reasons.

267,069 XP

15th December 2002

36 Uploads

22,450 Posts

1,695 Threads

#1 2 years ago

It's just occured to me that every time there's a "scandal" or an outrage these days, it's never because of complaints that are made via any traditional channel, it's always via Twitter?

For example if a notable celebrity makes a somewhat offensive joke on Twitter, the majority of their followers may like the tweet or simply ignore it, but if a small number of followers, or other users, act outraged by the tweet, then it's very easy for news writers to pick up on this, because they instantly have multiple sources they can quote as being "outraged", often in the form of embedding tweets.

A lot of these seem to be mostly minor incidents that are blown way out of proportion IMO, and may never have been heard about before pre-Twitter era?

It just seems like lazy journalism to me?

Danny King | Community Manager | GameFront.com

Serio VIP Member

The Dane

149,846 XP

11th November 2006

3 Uploads

12,506 Posts

37 Threads

#2 2 years ago

It's nothing new. Twitter just happens to be one of the biggest social medias out there. And yes, often journalists will try to spin this to fit their narrative. Hell, I could do this; "FileTrekker disses Twitter; hates on celebrities" :p

Controversy and drama sell!

Nemmerle Forum Mod

Voice of joy and sunshine

298,291 XP

26th May 2003

0 Uploads

28,141 Posts

5 Threads

#3 2 years ago

It's light entertainment, not news.

Silberio VIP Member

Bourée

392,744 XP

9th October 2007

0 Uploads

37,216 Posts

2 Threads

#4 2 years ago

"Serio"It's nothing new. Twitter just happens to be one of the biggest social medias out there. And yes, often journalists will try to spin this to fit their narrative. Hell, I could do this; "FileTrekker disses Twitter; hates on celebrities" :p

^ This.

It seems also like more celebrities use twitter on a more regular basis than say Facebook or whatever else and because of it's concise format, it's the best way to get a short personal input to be exagerated or used vaguely out of context.

Debating and talkin shit there is fun as hell tho

qjyUJrq.png

Silberio VIP Member

Bourée

392,744 XP

9th October 2007

0 Uploads

37,216 Posts

2 Threads

#5 2 years ago

"Serio"It's nothing new. Twitter just happens to be one of the biggest social medias out there. And yes, often journalists will try to spin this to fit their narrative. Hell, I could do this; "FileTrekker disses Twitter; hates on celebrities" :p

^ This.

It seems also like more celebrities use twitter on a more regular basis than say Facebook or whatever else and because of it's concise format, it's the best way to get a short personal input to be exagerated or used vaguely out of context.

Debating and talkin shit there is fun as hell tho

qjyUJrq.png

Zel/os

SPAAAAACE!!!

50 XP

20th July 2016

0 Uploads

14 Posts

0 Threads

#6 2 years ago

The world was better before Twitter was in it IMHO.

Serio VIP Member

The Dane

149,846 XP

11th November 2006

3 Uploads

12,506 Posts

37 Threads

#7 2 years ago

I beg to differ. Twitter allows news to spread at an unprecedented rate. Before any of the big news bureaus realised what was going on in Turkey, people had already been tweeting out about the events.

Yes, Twitter has its pitfalls. As does Facebook. As do forums. But it's still an extremely powerful tool for keeping in touch with the world around you.

Silberio VIP Member

Bourée

392,744 XP

9th October 2007

0 Uploads

37,216 Posts

2 Threads

#8 2 years ago

Agreed. I find it extremely useful both to get info on current events and more personal socio-political issues. I don't watch news nor read newspapers, so ya, it works out.

qjyUJrq.png

Emperor Benedictine

You can't fire me, I quit

55 XP

16th April 2005

0 Uploads

2,437 Posts

0 Threads

#9 2 years ago

The media has always fed on outrage and moral panic. Sites like Twitter with their emphasis on snappy soundbites and conformist approval-baiting are simply newer, hyper-efficient mechanisms for generating outrage and moral panic.

Social media's primary contribution to 21st century political and cultural discourse has been in providing tools to confine that discourse to curated echochambers where knee-jerk reactionism holds absolute primacy, thus accelerating the trend towards political polarisation and irrational tribalism beyond all hope of a reversal. Enjoy the out-of-control political insanity of 2016 because there is no end in sight in the "post-truth" era of corporate-controlled media and machine-managed social interaction.

Barbas

Hound dog

50 XP

2nd May 2016

0 Uploads

440 Posts

0 Threads

#10 2 years ago

Because it takes so little effort to say something on Twitter that will be immediately visible to millions of people. If I say on this forum that the Holocaust was a major hokes for reals, who cares? A few thousand people at best, before they go away to whip up some Eggs Benedict and forget all about it.

Journalists who do that sort of thing need to catch up to the sad reality that is life on planet Twitter. A part of me thinks that they really don't want to, though, for the sake of their brains, hearts and unborn children.

Calvin%2B%2526%2BHobbes%2Bsnow%2Bforts.jpg