Admiral Donutz VIP Member

Wanna go Double Dutch?

735,271 XP

9th December 2003

0 Uploads

71,460 Posts

0 Threads

#1 10 years ago

Is it just me or is calling 911 pretty much useless? Seems like you can only prank call them even when you do need them. To give some examples:

1) I wrecked my car by smashing it into a line of cars at a junction. The engine was on fire and I ran away. I knew that the car was about to explode, setting nearby cars on fire aswell. So the good citizen I am, I call 911 and request the fire department to come over. A fire engine pulls up, stops 1-2 meters away from my car, which just exploded creating a small enferno of burning cars and explosions, and it didn't do anything. A fireman came out, looked around and then got back into the cab, it then drove off, or atleast it tried to because the engine drove itself into a wall and kept on hitting the gas without any progress... :uhoh:

2) I ignored a red light as usual, crashed my sportscar into a cab and spint out of control, hitting some pedestrians on the way. I got out and noticed that some were dead and others were downed (badly wounded and laying on the ground). I called 911 and asked for paramedics. An ambulance pulled up, they looked around and drove off...

Not sure what the police does if you report a fight or something going on between civilians (I figure that they will help you if you are in a fight, just like any police car does when they see you being attacked).

Regardless, it seems like the firedepartment and ambulance only actually help out when they spawn by themselves (automatically) and that you can pretty much only prank call them. :(

I didn't make it!

0 XP

#2 10 years ago

I've found exactly the same, lol. I've called fire and ambulance services for exactly the same reasons, and they do NOTHING. The only use for calling an ambulance is that if YOU are hurt, they'll heal you for an extortionate fee. Calling Carmen is SO much easier. lol.

L E M O N

The Internet ends at GF

50 XP

21st May 2008

0 Uploads

136 Posts

0 Threads

#3 10 years ago

I never tried calling the Paramedics or the Fire Department because I had no need for it. The only time I did it was to steal their vehicle and drive off. The one that usually works is the Police Station. If someone is shooting at you, or trying to beat you up you can call the police and they will arrest the person. If they have a gun at hand, they will kill them. You can also call the police when you see two pedestrians fighting!

I know that the services might not work that great, but hey, it adds more "realism" something to the game.

Octovon

Spaceman

54,945 XP

5th August 2003

0 Uploads

5,317 Posts

0 Threads

#4 10 years ago

I've called the cops when I stole someone's car and they started shooting at me, I got the machine and promptly never called again.

Wanna go Double Dutch?

735,271 XP

9th December 2003

0 Uploads

71,460 Posts

0 Threads

#5 10 years ago

I just called the police and when I heared the sirenes approaching I punched a pedestrian. I got chased by him and I ran to the police car that just stopped and showed an officer looking around asking "where is the emergency?" whyle I was being punched by that pedestrian infront of tis (the officers) eyes. He stepped back in and drove off. An ther policecar that entered the scene did helpe me out though.

I think the police only helps you out if it's a random patrol, not one you dialed for.

If 911 does help you out, it could be that they only help you out if they see you being in need of aid before they getout of the car to perform the "who called us?" dialog they do otherwise. Just like an officer who is about to by a hotdog or burger won't help you out untill he started and completed the transaction with the salesman. So it could very well eb that they can't cancel out an animation of anykind.

Captain Fist

DEUS LO VULT

113,265 XP

17th December 2005

0 Uploads

10,629 Posts

0 Threads

#6 10 years ago

I call them whenever I want a free Fire Truck.

Don't even try calling the Police for a fight. They side with the enemy no matter who you're fighting.

Amy

Naughty

50 XP

28th October 2004

0 Uploads

3,443 Posts

0 Threads

#7 10 years ago

I have called for ambulance before just to see what they would do, if your low on health they do help, but its kinda slowish IMO.

Giz

Massivis Effectivous

116,112 XP

8th May 2002

0 Uploads

9,297 Posts

922 Threads

#8 10 years ago
Amy;4381320I have called for ambulance before just to see what they would do, if your low on health they do help, but its kinda slowish IMO.

And it gets expensive after the first time. Up to like $1000 per heal. Not worth it, but then again you'll eventually have more money then you can spend...

Also if you're running from the cops and your car is severely damaged and stalls, quickly dial 911 and it will start. I don't know if that is a bug or just a trick but it works. ;)

Wanna go Double Dutch?

735,271 XP

9th December 2003

0 Uploads

71,460 Posts

0 Threads

#9 10 years ago

Giz;4381335And it gets expensive after the first time. Up to like $1000 per heal. Not worth it, but then again you'll eventually have more money then you can spend...

Also if you're running from the cops and your car is severely damaged and stalls, quickly dial 911 and it will start. I don't know if that is a bug or just a trick but it works. ;)

Actually you can dial any number, and with that I mean any number. Just dial "5" (default start location when you use your phone) and as soon as you hear the "This number is not in use" dial tone you can abort. Your cars engine will work again.

Beats dialing 911, reducing it to a 2 second job. Works perfectly when you are in a hurry.

Oh and yesterday I called 911, asked for police backup and stabbed a pedestrian. He went after me while I ran towards the arriving cop car. The guy was beating me up right infront of the officer that exited the police car. The guy did is usual "Who called us? I can't see any emergency" line and stepped back in. As soon as he did that the driver of the police car got out and arrested my attacker. So calling the police is semi useful. The guy that looks around won't help you but just play through his animation/act. The driver will act as a normal police officer though as soon as the police car wants of drive off again. Kinda weird, lame even.

I didn't make it!

0 XP

#10 10 years ago

That is pretty lame. As far as I can tell, the ONLY real use for calling a police car is the the reason you get told to use it in that mission for Brucie near the beginning of the game, in order to get a free police car.