[BT]Brimstone

Livin in the past

50 XP

21st October 2004

0 Uploads

462 Posts

0 Threads

#1 14 years ago

Figured yall might wana check this out, from planethalflife.com [size=-1]BBC News: 20,000 Pirates Banned! [size=-2]11/25/2004 15:02 PST | Half-Life 2 | by [email="BriggsyUK@planethalflife.com"]Briggsy[/email] [/size] The BBC has a News article about the mass bannings by Valve. This story covers Valves hard line against thieves and how over 20,000 Steam user accounts got banned when trying to run their illegal copies of Half-Life 2: [indent]Game maker Valve shut down the online accounts of the players because it had evidence that their copy of the game had been obtained illegally.

Copies of Half-Life 2 had been circulating on file-sharing systems soon after it was officially released.

Experts said the success of the Half-Life 2 anti-piracy system might tempt other game makers into creating their own version. [/indent]If you are thinking about using an illegal copy of Half-Life 2, then you face the consequences.

You can read the full News story here. [/size]

=X= Sea

I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

6th April 2004

0 Uploads

930 Posts

0 Threads

#2 14 years ago

good to know that these people are being caught and punished.

Lyon

90% sarcastic

50 XP

9th July 2003

0 Uploads

6,161 Posts

0 Threads

#3 14 years ago

Finally steam has a posative affect on the gaming society..

RadioactiveLobster Forum Admin

Jeff is a mean boss

566,535 XP

28th July 2002

0 Uploads

53,182 Posts

1,337 Threads

#4 14 years ago

yay valve!!!

If there is no image, Mikey broke something...

vladtemplar

Resistance is futile

50 XP

29th May 2004

0 Uploads

1,276 Posts

0 Threads

#5 14 years ago

Not really punished, they just can't play HL2. No big deal

Jeff is a mean boss

566,535 XP

28th July 2002

0 Uploads

53,182 Posts

1,337 Threads

#6 14 years ago

vlad....you are the biggest pesimist (sp?) that i know.....be happy that people are getting in trouble for doing ILLEGAL stuff

vladtemplar

Resistance is futile

50 XP

29th May 2004

0 Uploads

1,276 Posts

0 Threads

#7 14 years ago

I am the biggest pessimist I know. I wish they were jailed, instead of just being banned. Maybe even have their eyes cut out with a dull, rusty knife.

Jeff is a mean boss

566,535 XP

28th July 2002

0 Uploads

53,182 Posts

1,337 Threads

#8 14 years ago

:agreed now thats what should happen to game pirates and game poachers (i mad cuz its deer hunting season and ppl r poaching again....bastards)

J-Dub'

What are these damn animals?

50 XP

1st July 2004

0 Uploads

6,013 Posts

0 Threads

#9 14 years ago

Finally steam has done something good.

ditchhopper

Death Obsession

50 XP

25th August 2002

0 Uploads

710 Posts

0 Threads

#10 14 years ago

Something good? Probably not.

Whos's to say that all of those people were pirating the game? ....Valve?

I imagine some, or even a large amount, were just the poor dumb retail purchasers like myself who want to be able to play the game at home, work, or their girlfriends house without having to take the damn cd with them everywhere. What if some, or most of these people actually bought the game and in an effort to be treated equally, like those who purchased through steam, they tried applying a no cd crack and find themselves banned.

If indeed all 20,000 of these people were pirates, then good for valve .....I guess .....although their still evil. But if any of those people were real customers trying to circumvent valves totalitarian system and rules I say burn it all down! *Side note: I personally haven't tried any of the cracks for this game yet so my steam account (which I hate) is still valid. At this point though Im just about ready to try cracking the sucker to see if I get banned since its not likely I'll ever purchase anything from valve again. I enjoyed the game alot, even though it fell far short of it original promises, but if this is how they plan on treating their customers then next time I'll just wait for the pirated version. And there WILL be a working pirated version. Valve cant stop that. They can only slow it down a bit.