Co-op -1 reply

Please wait...

I didn't make it!

0 XP

#1 13 years ago

Personally, i think co-op maps are the coolest...but..i don't think there's really an REAl good one....well....they're good...but don't give the 'feeling' (area 52/53/54/55,great war, hopeless battle, etc.) Mayby if we make an mod team to make some real good co-op maps? Just an idea...:uhm: well...repond:D

Sunray

Naked under his clothes

50 XP

23rd August 2006

0 Uploads

3,096 Posts

0 Threads

#2 13 years ago

Sadly Co-op will never be possible in HCE without an external app. due to Halo CE's shoddy netcode forcably implimented by MS as a 56k support system. It means that bots will never sync online. All programs claiming to be co-op will never be co-op without serious re-programming or an external app. (yelo for instance). I'll try to explain a little more as to why, instead of just telling you. Gearbox had a great netcode all planned out for Halo. However close to the release date, Microsoft came to them and said "we want a netcode that will support 56k". This meant that the old (and good) netcode was scrapped and a new one was devised in a short period of time that was shoddy but did the trick in the given time. This netcode meant that AI did not communicate with the host as to their position, health etc. Consequently, the AI for host and client would run around completely independant of each other - not syncing. Only the host's AI would be able to deal damage to others, but others would not see the AI because the appropriate AI for them had run off, been killed or whatever. Thus Co-op maps are impossible. But it is not all doom and gloom. There are ways of getting round this. For instance, because the AI only don't sync due to movement, what is theoretically possible is having AI standing still. Thus they would be (and stay)in the same place for host and client). Also, if fired upon, the AI would lose health on both host and client because even though the client believes that the host is firing on nothing, the damage is affecting the stationary AI because of it's own handy positioning. There are problems with this. For instance if the AI in host and client fire on different people. Then we have a syncing problem that can be solved by programming the AI be very simple - standing in the same place, returning to that location if moved, and firing on the nearest opponent in LoS. Another problem is if a client joins late. They will then have to battle through their own AI alone to get to the group. Thus, as you can see, it is very difficult, unless you are a great modder. Even then gameplay will not be great because the AI would be sitting ducks, not moving. But you see the problem with what you propose? What are your HCE modding skills?

343guiltymc

Revenge was here.

50 XP

20th February 2006

0 Uploads

1,662 Posts

0 Threads

#3 13 years ago

Well that explains why people lag so much when they only have 100 ping in my server.

Sunray

Naked under his clothes

50 XP

23rd August 2006

0 Uploads

3,096 Posts

0 Threads

#4 13 years ago

Which bit explains that? The poor netcode? Yes. It also explains why we have the enormous lead. Oh yeah. I forgot to mention, AI in large chunks cause the game to lag a lot, because in SP the BSP and AI are loaded in chunks (when it says "loading BSP) not all at once, so in MP when all the AI and BSP is loaded all at once, serious lag can occur.

343guiltymc

Revenge was here.

50 XP

20th February 2006

0 Uploads

1,662 Posts

0 Threads

#5 13 years ago

That part about AI would certainly explain why the hell do I lag so much in area 55. MS sure seems to be assuming people all use 56k connection,if I had that kind of connection, I wouldn't bother with MP at all.

Chemical.Reaper

I'm Nerd with a Hint of Emo(?)

50 XP

21st May 2007

0 Uploads

157 Posts

0 Threads

#6 13 years ago

Yay for 56k-ers! (Comcast HSI all the way!)