Freakydude

You will succumb to the Freaks

50 XP

24th August 2006

0 Uploads

205 Posts

0 Threads

#1 10 years ago

Hi everybody, I recently thought of installing Halo 1 on my computer again and everything seemed to be running fine. However, I noticed that when I change the resolution of the game to 1280*800, my native screen resolution, I can no longer see what I'm typing in multiplayer. It's not that big a deal but I was curious as to why this is happening. The only thing that happens is there's the gray box that gets displayed where the text "All- your text here" should go but it's left empty. If I press enter though, my message does get sent. Does anyone know what the problem is? Oh yes, I saved the best for last. I'm running Vista 64-bit and I installed in in the "Program Files" folder, not the (x86) folder. I've installed it in both folders hoping it would make a difference but this still keeps happening. Thanks in advance.

Mastershroom VIP Member

Frag Out!

153,685 XP

18th November 2004

0 Uploads

14,196 Posts

0 Threads

#2 10 years ago

I have the same issue running at 1680x1050, on Windows Vista 32-bit. Any ideas would be awesome.

Freakydude

50 XP

24th August 2006

0 Uploads

205 Posts

0 Threads

#3 10 years ago

Perhaps it's a widescreen problem. Also Zamamee, when you first installed it, did you also get a dialogue box that said it couldn't read if there was any RAM installed on your computer? I pretty much ignored the message since I know that I have 4 GB, which is well above the system requirements. I don't know why it couldn't read any RAM though.

Freakydude

50 XP

24th August 2006

0 Uploads

205 Posts

0 Threads

#4 10 years ago

Looks like I can't edit my previous post so here goes. I found out that switching from 1024*768 to the bigger resolution makes very little difference. The 1280*800 resolution has a smaller viewing area than the 1024*768 resolution as well. I found this out when you take a look at yourself holding onto the pistol. The red switch on it is cut off when you're using a higher resolution. However, this is most noticeable in the menu. The 1280*800 menu is zoomed in way closer than the 1024*768 menu. So although you don't get that "blurry fuzz" if you know what I mean when you're at max resolution , I've decided to just play this at 1024*768 since it looks like it's buggy for resolutions any higher.

Noxstant

Physics is my salvation

50 XP

11th June 2008

0 Uploads

352 Posts

0 Threads

#5 10 years ago

Here are a couple of suggestions: if you don't know by know, Vista sometimes has certain compatability issues which vary from annoying errors to exceptions. There one way to fix most Vista exclusive problems. Go to your graphics card propeties and go through the tabs (not quite exactly sure on location with vista) and click run as halo specs not vista specs but KEEP the grahics level as you wish. If this does not work I can make a patch or something if you want.

Freakydude

50 XP

24th August 2006

0 Uploads

205 Posts

0 Threads

#6 10 years ago

Well, I own an ATI Radeon HD 2600 and I set the video card to use application settings for all types of graphics. This seems to work out the best for my games. Setting the video card to anti-aliase seems to disable a few options in a couple of my other games such as menu animations, videos, etc. I've done some research and it looks like Halo 1 doesn't support widescreens, which is stupid since the XBox version did. Perhaps I should just go out and buy Halo 2 Vista. I hear it's getting cheaper.

Mastershroom VIP Member

Frag Out!

153,685 XP

18th November 2004

0 Uploads

14,196 Posts

0 Threads

#7 10 years ago

I never got a RAM unreadable message, and I also have 4GB. I've also had this same problem on Windows XP. My card is an nVidia GeForce 8800GT.

The way I use non standard resolutions for Halo is through the target parameters. Here's how:

Right click your Halo shortcut, and select "Properties". In the "Target:" field, add -vidmode x,y to the target OUTSIDE of the quotes, with one space in between. X represents your screen's width in pixels, y represents the height. So for me at 1680x1050, my target looks like:

"C:\Program Files\Games\Halo\halo.exe" -vidmode 1680,1050

The next time you run Halo, it loads at that particular resolution.

Doesn't fix the damn text though! :uhm:

Freakydude

50 XP

24th August 2006

0 Uploads

205 Posts

0 Threads

#8 10 years ago

Yeah, I've tried that as well. It still crops the image though.

Mastershroom VIP Member

Frag Out!

153,685 XP

18th November 2004

0 Uploads

14,196 Posts

0 Threads

#9 10 years ago

Actually, bitterbanana's Yelo battery does fix the HUD stretching, and lets you adjust the field of view to something more appropriate for widescreen.

Yelo - A Halo Engine Hack Project