I didn't make it!
Exploits and discrepancies have been amplified in Jedi Academy -- amplified not by themselves or their mere existence, but by the fact that more than half the servers in Jedi Academy are runned on a pro-exploitation standard of server configuration settings. The most common settings that promote exploitations are as follows:
- Rapid Force Regeneration (g_forceregentime 0): This setting is not the game's standard, contrary to popular belief. Any server that is non JA+ runned is automatically set to a regeneration time of 200. At a value of 0, the regeneration time caters to exploits because of the frequency at which force powers can generally be used. If one is using a special script to automatically pull other players, he can continuosly use this script (which is already a form of cheating since it is not a valid .pk3 or .cfg in the game's database) in order to gain an unfair advantage. At the regeneration rate of 200, this script becomes almost obsolete, as it cannot be spammed as much due to the force regeneration rate being significantly lower. In hindsight, it takes far more skill to balance all Force powers and time them appropriately on the standard regeneration rate of 200, which is the game's default value in both single player and multiplayer. JA+'s faculty should not have any right to determine what the game's standards should be, regardless of whether it is by force or coercion.
- Multiplayer Damages, JA+ Specific (d_saberSPStyledamage 0): This setting is the non-force based equivalent of the one specified before. It is used because of its supposedly less random damage (which is completely false) and the absence of lightsaber counters and clashes. This makes the yellow stance and all yellow stance based weapons (lightstaff and dual blades) practically unbeatable. This also intensifies the potency of mouse poking, wiggling and yawing, specifically because there is no block rate or chance of thwarting these lightsaber exploits. This setting is best kept at 1, where the damages are fixed with counters and collisions to reduce the potency of these illegal tactics. Furthermore, it also makes the game far more enjoyable, for the increased rate of counters and collisions makes the game very movie like, but also bringing balance to all of the lightsaber stances and making for a fair, justified combat system. It is paramount to the functionality of this setting that you also use g_locationbaseddamage 0, described below.
- Location Based Damage (g_locationbaseddamage 1): Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy was designed to be a potentially better game than its predecessor, Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast. In the sense of lightsabers and most mechanics, Jedi Academy is indeed a better game. However, the existence of the critical hit/random damage factor is bad enough. It is even worse with location based damage activated. This causes even more illegitimate damage rates and frustration by increasing the damage, exponentially, per location on the player body. This setting is best kept deactivated (g_locationbaseddamage 0), as it goes arm in arm with the damage specified above.
- Macroscan Deactivated (jp_macroscan 0): This setting was designed by the JA+ developers in order to rule out binds, otherwise known as macros. This command, when deactivated, will not rule out binded key sequences, which are again not part of the game but are used by narcissistic and disruptive players in order to perform extremely difficult maneuvers with the stroke of just one key. This setting is best kept activated. However, based on the lack of security measures in the JA+ modification, one could very well dissect the JA+ client plugin and add the scripts in through there, thereby bypassing this macroscan, anti-cheat system. With macroscan activated, it at least makes it that much more difficult for binders and exploiters.
- sv_MaxRate: The default value of the sv_MaxRate variable is 7000. This variable determines the distribution of bandwidth (upstream, particularly in this case) from the server to client per. When set to anything above the value of 7000, the server and network will have more processes to compute, entailing lower pings for players with "/rate" set to a value of more than 4000, but also significant delay times when there are more than eight to fourteen players present. This value must not be touched and must be kept at 7000 for maximum server performance.
- sv_MaxPing: The value accomodating this variable specifies the highest ping that can be connected to the server, ruling out anyone too remote to play. This setting is known to cause server crashes, downtime and potentially some delay. The sv_maxRate variable is best set to a value of 0.
The Galactic Empire guarantees that if all servers use these specific setting standards, the elitist menace to the Jedi Academy community will be alleviated, if not completely eliminated. These are standards based on how the game is by default. Do not let anyone tell you otherwise how the game should be runned, because how one wants the game to be runned idealistically bears absolutely no comparison to how the game is by default, which supports our case.
Here is a blank copy of the server.cfg used by the Galactic Empire's -=||Imperial_Forefront||=- server. It has been systematically, inductively and deductively proven to undermine the abilities of all elitists. We advise that you run this server.cfg on your server in order to help us isolate and combat the elitist circle's mendacious influence. We cannot stop the elitist circle by mere combat alone, for they have too many loopholes to seize ahold of. We need your help. Download the -=||Imperial_Forefront||=- server's server.cfg configuration file here: http://www.imperialmovement.com/files/server.cfg. This file is meant to replace your existing server.cfg file in the JA+ 2.4beta1 modification. You may download JA+ 2.4beta1 at the Files section of http://www.ImperialMovement.com, specifically under the Jedi Academy mods and essentials listing. You can reach the server at 184.108.40.206. Lord Darchind Imperial Grand Director
Nice advert. Although, forgive me if I call it propaganda.
Don't get me wrong - I think you're spot on with quite a bit of that stuff, but did you have to use it as a mere advert? Shame too, it was actually quite an intelligent post...
And, a few things you got wrong... JA+ 2.4 - it's complete crap, even worse than 2.3. Newer is not better, just look at the early builds of GtkRadiant 1.5.0 compared to the final release build of GtkRadiant 1.4.0.
sv_maxrate should NOT be left at 7000, it should be set according to the following formula: [Connection Speed] / ([Num Clients] x 8 ) = [sv_maxrate] No, it's not elitist crap - it's how servers work. Without telling the server to use the correct amount of bandwidth for your connection speed and client number, then the advantage naturally goes to people with superior internet connections.
Setting sv_maxPing to 0 means that only people with a ping of zero can join the server. In English, it means you'd have to be very close to the server you want to join. So, unless everyone lives really close to where the server is hosted, you'd be excluding more than half of the JKA community from playing the game online. Now THAT is elitist, if you ask me...
Practically all servers have macro scan enabled anyway, since it's the default setting. I have yet to find any JA+ 2.3 server where it's enabled.
On g_forceregentime 0, everyone can spam force powers just as much as each other. I agree that setting it to zero sucks, but setting it to 200 sucks almost as bad (too damn slow). You need to find a good in-the-middle setting, anywhere between 120-140 is great.
I agree that the SP saber style damages are mostly unbalanced, but they are also quite fun to play on sometimes. I personally prefer them over MP style because it makes fights a lot more hardcore, and each mistake could be your last, but, like you, I do prefer MP damages because blocking actually does something useful.
And the final thing you did wrong - you advertised for your clan. This is the General forum, the Clans forum is [color=lime]here[/color].
Oh, and did you really have to type all that in red? That seriously hurts the eyes... :(
I don't know how, and I don't know why, but this is totally Sheep's fault.
Very good post Lord Darchind\Elitist_Hunter_D, I agree with almost everything you said.
You are absolutely right about g_forceregentime 0 ruining gameplay by unbalancing Force powers, making some (Drain) worthless while promoting spamming of others (Grip, Heal, Pull). However, in fairness to JA+ Mod, g_forceregentime is a standard server cvar, not a JA+ "feature". You can set g_forceregentime 0 in basejka. Raven should have restricted values of g_forceregentime to 100-200, so people could make it faster if they wanted to without being able to use extreme settings like 0 (20,000% faster than default).
Widespread use of g_forceregentime 0 is the second worst thing that ever happened to JK2 and JA.
As far as sv_maxrate, setting it higher doesn't increase server CPU usage (calculations), that's set by sv_fps. It is significant only in terms of clients (players) who have dialup 56k access (rate 4000) vs. those with broadband (DSL, cable) (rate 25000). If sv_maxrate is above 4000 dialup users can't take advantage of it, while broadband clients will have less lag (although not necessarily lower pings) as sv_maxrate is increased. If ALL of the players are on dialup, or ALL have broadband, it's a non-issue, but that's rare.
When I ran servers, I tried to be fair to my dialup players by setting sv_maxrate between 10000 and 15000, so broadband players wouldn't have too much advantage. At that rate a skilled player on dialup was not significantly handicapped.
sv_maxping 0 simply makes that cvar inoperative, so players with any ping can connect. I ran sv_maxping 500 to keep out high-pingers mostly because I didn't want to read their whining about their high ping, but it doesn't affect server performance, and contrary to superstition, a high-pinger can't "lag the whole server", it doesn't work that way.
This is the best answer for fighting elite force users. g_weaponDisable 0 Server owners brought this on themselves, by removing the weapons force is given an unfair advantage.
i hate servers with no weapons. their there for a reason. its funner. and i love to snipe. to many people have got an idea in their head on how a server shoudl be run. they need to change it. they are thinking of not killing anymore,where the point of the game is to kill
I'm all for guns, although JKA's guns are crap to say the least, if they're there I'll use them. A gun's a gun, after all. Personally I prefer guns in CTF, but then again before the rise of server mods which removed the private duel limit in FFA, I only played Duel and CTF.
It all depends on the style of play people prefer, most notably the admins - and, it just so happens that most of the community are duelists.
Of course, I see that JA+ servers allow FFA in AltDim - but, like, they still have guns disabled, so how does that count as FFA? It's basically just a mass duel where whoever spams heal is the winner.
Gotta love admins who don't know what they're doing, and then go calling other people "n00bs". :lol:
I don't know how, and I don't know why, but this is totally Sheep's fault.
Kahni hate servers with no weapons. their there for a reason. its funner. and i love to snipe.
Yes sniping is fun, I'm a fan of it too. Even better is when a saberist decides to stand still at you and think he'll block the shot from the sniper. :lol: