Performance Notes - GTX260 -1 reply

Please wait...

I didn't make it!

0 XP

#1 10 years ago

So, I got the game running and and looking pretty damn good (finally) with version 1.0000000000000004, and I've only had one crash (which was a brutal 'soundloop'/full auto-system-restart crash) so far, and I'm presently in the Garbage, helping the dude fight the dogs.

I run XP SP2 32-bit, p5k-e deluxe wifi with an e8400@4.0, 2GB of DDR2, and a single evga gtx260 (vanilla), which is mildly OC'd to roughly 625/1100 (shaders linked, 13xx), fan set to manual 56% speed. I'm using an audigy 2 platinum with the latest (a few months old) drivers, with the newest openAL driver, set to Headphones mode.

I should say I've encountered only real bad bug so far, that was being unable to transition from Cordon to Garbage. The dialog box had only 'Yes', but clicking it acted the same way as clicking 'No' normally would. Had to go online to find a fix for this, which did work a treat (but having to do so was pretty annoying in principle).

Anyways, I basically let the game set my graphics settings, it chose default 'High' settings, with EDL. I left these settings, except: because of what I read on the Tweak Guide, I took my 'Sun Rays' down to Low, and put my vision distance at about 50%, and slammed my object/texture quality up to 'max', and that's what I'm playing on.

During the mornings, and in certain complex indoor scenes, my frames drop into the 30-40 range in some places, other than that, I'm seeing for the most part 40-60fps, and there's been no point at which the game became annoyingly laggy. The 'god rays' still look pretty dang cool even with that setting on 'low', btw.

I'm seeing VRAM usage in the range of 600-675MB, and RAM usage in the range of 1800-1950MB. Clearly, this game is a memory hog, and I suspect my one bad crash may have been related to maxing out my RAM, but I wasn't watching my rivatuner OSD at the time it happened, so ... I'm guessing it's probably best to run this game on 64-bit with 4GB of RAM, but it doesn't seem to be strictly *required* to have a (relatively) crash-free experience.

Couple of pointers: 1) If you only have 512MB of RAM on your card, drop your texture settings down to the middle setting. 2) DO NOT force on anisotropic filtering in your CP. I believe this is a likely a causative factor in some cases where some people are seeing poor performance in comparison to other people, despite similar hardware and settings. If you're like me, you usually just leave on 16xAF, since it's such a small hit in most cases, but in SCS, it looks to me like this mucks up the FPS pretty severely, so ...

Some annoyances: 1) The fact that as you empty out an inventory, the remaining items don't automatically move up to the top-left empty slot, like they did in SSOC. You have to click all over the inventory window now to grab each item individually, and that is teh majorly ghay. 2) There's no explanation at all about what happens if you join a faction. 3) The faction wars in general seem 'bolted-on' and kinda meaningless. 4) They still haven't gotten rid of the "carrying 50.0 kg makes you run out of energy in seconds but at 49.9kg it seems like you can run about as long as you can with 20kg" thingy. So annoying, especially in a game like this that involves so many FedEx missions. I'm already REALLY sick of running out of stamina. 5) I thought the newest fix was supposed to add a stamina meter to the HUD? Where the hell is it? 6) It needs a 'psy-damage' meter like the one for radiation, since that stuff can kill you sure enough, and a lot of artifacts seem to be in areas where there's a lot of psy-emissions. 7) There's been nothing remotely 'scary' or tense that's happened yet. 8) Why did they choose to first expose the player to bloodsuckers and snorks while outdoors, in the open, with others helping you fight, and (potentially) during the day? A big part of what made certain parts of SOC way scary was the way the addition of new creatures sorta 'played out'. Stuff like running into your first snork, underground, in a tight corridors, anomalies all around you, just after you've had your first weird poltergeist experience. Or sitting there going WTF is THAT you're hearing (the pseudogiant downstairs, it turns out) while you're fighting the poltergeist in x18. Basically, SOC liked to throw new, dangerous, hard-to-figure-out-how-to-kill creatures at you, always when you were in a creepy place, all alone, with all these creepy sounds happening. But it seems like the whole X-18/X-16 experience ain't gonna be happening in CS. Certainly, there's been no such moments so far (and from what I'm hearing, their aren't any, ever). So the lack of any actual scares or legitimate tension aside from 'am I gonna die' is a MAJOR mistep in my book. 9) The grenade-throwing accuracy of the enemies is, lets face it, ridiculous. 10) I don't understand why the stashes (still) don't contain random items based roughly on 'what level' you are at in the game. Knowing that all the early game stashes, should you choose to go back to them, are gonna be full only of early game stuff, really detracts from the novelty of returning to earlier areas, IMHO. 11) The PDA is way too powerful, detecting mutants and shit, and seemingly always telling you where the target of every mission is at, even when stuff is supposed to be 'lost' by the person giving you the mission? So, like, what UP wit teh uber-pda, yo?

I'll add more later, but that's my thoughts for now. Hopefully that helps someone :)

Bad_Motha

Pro-Filer thinks I'm cool!!

50 XP

10th May 2008

0 Uploads

435 Posts

0 Threads

#2 10 years ago

Turn your CPU and Video card's clock speed to STOCK and see how it runs. That should always be checked first when any crashing occurs.

Ummma

Grenade Magnet

50 XP

21st June 2008

0 Uploads

111 Posts

0 Threads

#3 10 years ago
brettjv;4584225 5) I thought the newest fix was supposed to add a stamina meter to the HUD? Where the hell is it? 6) It needs a 'psy-damage' meter like the one for radiation, since that stuff can kill you sure enough, and a lot of artifacts seem to be in areas where there's a lot of psy-emissions.

Stamina bar is that new blue bar at the bottom of the radiation meter. Psy-damage is shown on the HUD already - green is 'safe' but damaging, yellow is quite damaging for long times (and you get a groovy yellowish vision effect) Red is deadly, you might not see it because you are dead already. If you have a good suit and anti-psy artefacts on the screen goes into crazy yellow double-vision mode and your health drops amazingly quickly - it made me feel quite sick after only a few seconds of it!

Bad_Motha

Pro-Filer thinks I'm cool!!

50 XP

10th May 2008

0 Uploads

435 Posts

0 Threads

#4 10 years ago

In the SWAMP area I went to the area of the map where you are under an electric tower and there are electra anomily all over, I got the artifact there but by the time I come out Radiation was high, I got rid of that, but PSY was red also. But it did nothing to me except screw up my vision for about a good 2 mins, realtime. I didn't die or get hurt from it.

I didn't make it!

0 XP

#5 10 years ago
Ummma;4584301Stamina bar is that new blue bar at the bottom of the radiation meter. Psy-damage is shown on the HUD already - green is 'safe' but damaging, yellow is quite damaging for long times (and you get a groovy yellowish vision effect) Red is deadly, you might not see it because you are dead already. If you have a good suit and anti-psy artefacts on the screen goes into crazy yellow double-vision mode and your health drops amazingly quickly - it made me feel quite sick after only a few seconds of it!

I see the colored lights, but if there is a cumulative damage effect with the psy-emission (as it sounds like there is, based on your comment about seeing the yellow indicator for a long time), I just think there should be an actual meter like the red 'bar' you have that shows your cumulative radiation.