I got this off of http://www.stalker-game.com/index_eng.html This is some amazing technology X-Ray is a powerful game engine implementing modern technologies. The engine does not support software rendering and requires a DirectX® 8 or higher compatible accelerator.
- Levels combining closed spaces as well as enormous open areas
- On demand loading makes it possible to create a single huge level
- Game time flow, change of time of the day
- Powerful skeleton-based animation allows usage of motion-capture hardware and produces smooth and realistic motion of characters
- VR-Simulation engine optimized for massive load
- Support for all second generation D3D compatible accelerators (TNT/Voodo2/etc), optimized for Geforce2 and up
- Visualization optimized for hardware TnL (both FF and shading capable parts)
- Continuous level of detail technology for all the geometry
- ~300 000 polygons per frame at 60 fps on average hardware
- Detailed character models (500-10 000 polys)
- High-speed blended animation system capable of an infinite number of bone interpolation & modulation operations
- SSE/3Dnow! Technologies used for skinning and forward kinematics
- Visibility determination
- Portal-style, non-linear subdivision based visibility detection system
- Optimized for T&L hardware by batching primitives in optimally sized groups
- Dynamic occlusion culling, contribution culling
- Adaptive hardware state caching technology
- Colored dynamic lights and dynamic "soft" shadows
- Breakable light sources
- Animated lights
- Character shadowing
- Intelligent light source selection, clipping, and merging
- Detail mapping
- Water, flares, coronas, etc.
- Particle system with real physics
- Screen post-processing
- The Shader library is central to every part of the rendering pipeline
- Completely abstracts the graphics API.
- Multi-pass Rendering
- Fallback Shaders
- Facilitates cross-platform development
- Separates shader writing from engine development
- Pixel and Vertex shaders are automatically used (on shader capable hardware.)
- Grass, small stones, etc.
- Enviromental effects, such as wind, turbulence, and tracks
- Based on ODE engine
- Simulation speed outperforms commercial engines such as MathEngine, Havok, etc.
- Real-time IK, vehicle physics, etc.
- Collision database with low memory usage
- Collision detection optimized for a large number of queries in a high concentration polygonal environment
- Realistic simulation of ballistics, movement, and fluids
- High quality HRTF 3D-sound with clipping and partial wave tracing
- Location-based environmental audio affected by surrounding obstructions
- Context-relative multiple-mixed music streams in MP3/MP2/WMA/ADPCM formats
- Distributed computing
- Client-Server based system
- In-house tools ( Level, Shader, Particle, and Actor Editors )
- Plug-ins for popular modeling packages
- Simulation Level-Of-Detail and Culling (2 AI models - high and low detail)
- Fiber based time distribution allows scalable AI without any slowdown
- Virtual senses; sight, hearing and touch
- Terrain-aware tactical assessment system
- FSM with random factor
- Data driven design (pattern based evaluation functions are automatically generated and optimized on training examples - supervised learning)
This will make stalker as good or better then Hl2:). I bet some of those vodoo fans out there can dig out there older cardsto play this game:lol:. Too bad it is "nvida perfered":(.
Jeff is a missing boss
28th July 2002
there is NO WAY a TNT card is gonna run this.....my old TNT2 card couldnt run Call of Duty....
No! I'm Spamacus!
17th June 2003
I wouldn't say that. It's an efficient engine that probably is a processor and RAM hog.
It would still need a descent Video Card.
I'm lying when I say trust me
8th June 2004
Jedi87130there is NO WAY a TNT card is gonna run this.....my old TNT2 card couldnt run Call of Duty....
I don't know if anyone remembers this, but when Half Life 2 was originally schedualed to come out back in Sept. 2003, the minimum specs were a P3 700MHZ processor and a TNT video card. Good luck running it on those specs now.
does it really support all Geforce cards from Geforce3 to .. to .. erm.. ok? cuz i have a Geforce4 440MMX 64mb does it really support mine? .. finally a good game for my PC
No! I'm Spamacus!
17th June 2003
Maybe on lowest settings. That seems like it would be cutting it pretty close...
cutting it pretty close atleast it's cutting it...:p
Thats true. :p
I didn't make it!
hey, new to these forums, but not new to stalker, been following it since early 2003, this my one true love heh. Anywhoo, you are right, the support for the TNT/Voodo2/gForce 2 etc has been mostly droped, its been increased now, cant remember what too exactly, but i think its gForce3 upwards. As much as i love the game, they need to update the site much more often, some information is no longer valid such as the XM-134 Heavy Machine gun, which is no longer in the game besides on mouted stands in military controlled areas.