AirForceOne

Addicted to GF

50 XP

27th June 2003

0 Uploads

288 Posts

0 Threads

#1 15 years ago

how do you make a map? i wanna learn how. what do i need to make one. i never played quake and i dont have any experience on how to use qradiant or something. what programs do i need and how do i make a map. JIM_BOB7813, i know that you are a mapper but..can you teach me? not just give links to the programs but teach me? thank you i have adobe photoshop 7.0 and paint shop pro 8.

SPY

SP-MAPPING!

50 XP

21st April 2003

0 Uploads

391 Posts

0 Threads

#2 15 years ago

whow, i don't know if he has the time for it, because it will take you 2 or 3 weeks to get the hang of it. even more though when you say that you don't have mapping experience.

and what's wrong with tutorials? we all had to learn it like that, but hey, i'm not jim bob so i can't speak for him.

leon.

JIM_BOB7813

Mapper

50 XP

6th April 2003

0 Uploads

139 Posts

0 Threads

#3 15 years ago

Sorry, AirForceOne but I just don't have time to teach someone the ins and outs of mapping.

I also think it's best to learn things on your own, you remember and understand them better sometimes. Map making isn't that hard, it's mostly about the technique of using the tools.

I came to sof2 with no real previous mapping experience, just a few Delta force:LW maps. But making them was nothing like sof2 mapping. Over around 1 year of mapping I have made 6 maps! It really isn't that hard.

A good place to start is modsonline It has a video tutorial on how to create your first room.

You can get self-installing tools from qeradiant.com Try using the download selector You should get the stable version.

Exit_Wounds

I want to be like the Admins

50 XP

27th February 2003

0 Uploads

199 Posts

0 Threads

#4 15 years ago

Hey I'm new to mapping I started about 2 weeks ago, (sort of) and although I'm having the annoyin problems with z-fighting and a few compinling errors it's surprisingly easy, I did a lot of technical graphics in sch and its kind of like technical drawing, you put out a brush to create a wall, or whatever, then to build a second wall you draw one next to it, line up the brushes and basically it's just that over and over. Of course there is the more advanced mapping like them BA****D curves, which I got the hang of today!!! and it took me a little trial and error to do things like pressing "e" to put the corners down to make triangular shapes etc. but You cant really be tutored by some1 when mapping it really is trial and error. I suggest you get the gtk radiant (or both if you want) and look for all the tutorials off the net you can get, from creating a basic room to complex curves and terrain, and basically just mess about with it until your feeling good enough to take on a full scale map of your own.

SPY

SP-MAPPING!

50 XP

21st April 2003

0 Uploads

391 Posts

0 Threads

#5 15 years ago

that's the way to do it exit wounds!

when you have made something that's worth looking at, will you show it to us.

and maybe you could try sp-mapping for a change?!

leon

Exit_Wounds

50 XP

27th February 2003

0 Uploads

199 Posts

0 Threads

#6 15 years ago

sp mapping is real hard I gave it a go when I used to map for max payne but could never figure out the ai coding, so I just made the map and my mate did the ai part.

SPY

SP-MAPPING!

50 XP

21st April 2003

0 Uploads

391 Posts

0 Threads

#7 15 years ago

so when i understand it right, the map you made is a sp map, even when that part of the NPC's (they are called so, in mohaa the figures are called ai's) is done by your friend. great, because untill now i'm (it seems) the only one who makes sp-maps, (there is 1 sp-mod somewhere by sof2 files; 3 streetmaps in hongkong).

can we(i) please see the sp-map of you? i'm VERY interested!

leon

Exit_Wounds

50 XP

27th February 2003

0 Uploads

199 Posts

0 Threads

#8 15 years ago

the map was for "Max Payne" though, it was called Mortal_Complex and was a building that was like military installation, I had guns placed everywhere and was filled with guards, I idea of the map was that the guards knew you were coming and that you had to fight your way through the 10 floors which had increasingly difficult enemies, they started off with pistols and at the end had m16's.

It was made long ago and was available as a download from http://www.nopaynenogain.co.uk

try it but i think it's been closed down, I made the map a couple of months after the game was released.

AirForceOne

Addicted to GF

50 XP

27th June 2003

0 Uploads

288 Posts

0 Threads

#9 15 years ago

now for this at modsonline.com do i just follow every steps 1 by 1?:

Preface : SOF2SDK Setup : SDK Fix / Maintenance : Ladders : Quark Setup : Terrain : Inserting a Model : Sliding Doors : func_rotate : func_bobbing : func_pendulum : func_train : Curves & Cylinders : Bevels : Endcaps : Cones : Water : Jumppads : Teleporter : Colored Lights : Light Styles : Button-to-Door : Trashcan : Hint Brushes : Caulk : Room101 Video : Room102 Video : Gametype Support : Arena Files : Gametype Brushes : Gametype Spawns : Gametype Teams : CTF Flags : Weapon Skins : Skinning Players : Goal Scripting : Distance Fog : Creating PK3 : Distance Culling : Model Conversion : Cell Shading : EasyGen Terrain

LeTHaL-BaNaNa

GF makes me horny

50 XP

12th August 2003

0 Uploads

81 Posts

0 Threads

#10 15 years ago

no they are just tutorials, i can strongly suggest you download the room101 and 102 video's, as they are the best to start with (they got me going :D)