Okay, just a thread to keep all the nonsense in one place so Staff only has to take out the trash once. =p The idea for this isn't new. I have been thinking about this for the last year, taking notes and scribbling things down. My wife thinks I'm insane to be this obsessed with a computer game, but hey, it is a Star Trek computer game. That makes all the difference.
Due to events in the recent past, I want to clarify some things and make sure everyone is on the same page before we get another epidemic of "post first, then think" about a mod. We already have established I am not bashful about confrontation, so here goes.
1) Our mod. Our turf. Our rules. We are doing this for ourselves. When we are happy it is good enough, we will release it. If you like it, fine. If you do not, we really don't care. Somebody else does. We're okay with any of these.
2) Negativity pretending to be "helpful advice" or just being negative will be handled as ruthlessly as possible. Our standard answer to negative comments will be, "Oh really? Just what have YOU released to the community lately? What is your latest current positive contribution to A2 Files and the A2 community?" We intend to ask the above questions in as public a place as you express your negativity. We have no shame and are impossible to embarrass. Can you say the same?
3) Constructive critiques are always welcome. Please post them here. We may actually read them. Someday. We would ask these things of the critiques; a)spell check before you post, b)keep them about the mod, c)keep them quote free, d)have a point, e)keep them short. Written language is a precision instrument and should be used as such.
4) Anyone asking about a release date will be given the Achilles treatment. He has already shown me where he keeps the good brickbats. You know, the ones that leave a permanent mark. :p
5) Like all people everywhere, we like positive feedback on a project. Please do not get carried away with it. A simple 'good job' will do nicely. My ego is already about 900 pounds and very territorial. Don't feed it any more than necessary to keep it alive.
Well, that about covers the flyby. Award yourself 5 bonus points if you know the name of the actor who spoke that line in the movie. Watching the movie again before answering the question is cheating. Cheaters will be shot. Survivors will be shot again.
Easier to cut and paste from the Mission Statement than type this over again: Mission Statement: To modify movement, combat movement, weapons, and sensor ranges within stock Armada II with Patch 1.1 applied to provide a closer to canon feel to the appearance of how ships move and fight. within the game.
Priorities and Goals: 1) Minimal impact on stock files. To have a minimal impact on the files in question so anyone can add this into a stock game or a heavily modded one without the danger of a fatal error. To also modify and make available the files in question so modders can include them in their own mods with minimal adjustments
2) Closer to canon movement. To have ships in A2 move in a fashion similar to how they move in a series episode, movie, or other Star Trek based game. If done correctly, any player should be able to recreate any ship movement sequence seen in either a series episode or movie with a fair degree of accuracy.
3) Closer to canon combat movement. To give players the ability to recreate in A2 any ship to ship combat sequence seen in any series episode, movie, or other Star Trek based game with a fair degree of accuracy. The DS9 episode 'Sacrifice of Angels' combat sequence comes to mind instantly.
My personal favourite, next. I am really enthused about being able to show others how to do this for their own ships.
6) Create a template or tutorials for all of the above. To allow other A2 players, especially those with minimal modding experience, to 'Plug and Play' a custom ship either of their own creation or downloaded from any fan site.
Purists, please note: We are not trying recreate exactly the way the Enterprise moves in any movie or episode. The game engine of A2 is pretty antiquated and barely up to the task of depicting space combat at all. We are trying to get the engine we have to be a little closer to what can be seen in the episodes and movies.
As you can see, this is an ambitious project and I suspect we are only about one third done. We will finish this and release it. The Kid and I are hard at work on this and pretty much in agreement. This was his idea anyway. I'm just the nuts and bolts guy. One last thing, Gentle Reader. Go easy on the StarFleet Kid over this. After all, he has me for a mod partner. That all by itself is enough to qualify him for sainthood. :lol:
Well I for one say "Huzzar!". Might I reccomend you talk to Starfox, he is a master at this sort of thing.
Oh come on where I come from You would just be called forthright and tactless no great problems there at least were I'm concered. LOL
Physics is some I have been playing around with lately for my own mod. Haven't done a great deal thus far but it is very tedious and I wish you luck to pull it off and I think physics is one of the most important parts of any mod.
This sounds interesting, I look forward to seeing how this develops.
Thank you you all for your interest in A2PhysPjct.
James, I fully intend to speak with Starfox as soon as this is released. I would like to beforehand but, I want to make sure that I do not 'borrow' something he does not want to be anywhere other than KA2.
Starfox, you are correct. I am really forthright and tactless. Comes from being a former M1A1 tanker in the US Army, followed by 16 years of driving all over the States as a long haul trucker.
Majest, I agree with you completely. The work does get tedious sometimes. Especially when I am trying to get a ship to move exactly like it does in a particular SFX sequence in TNG or DS9. Open the file. Adjust the file. Save the file. Open the game. CTRL-A to insert ship. Move ship. Fire ship. What the...? Close the game. Open the file. Repeat as long as needed. If you need some help with the YY physics, please do not hesitate to ask. I will be happy to help out.
Major Payne stated in the news article comments the ships bumped into each other a couple of times. That may be due to my have the RTS values set too close together. Those two ships, along with Defiant, are my baseline because there is so much stock footage available of them moving and fighting. What you see in the video is only the very first stages of what we want to do. The final product will be much better. Hopefully. I am really fired up he is thinking about including this in Borg Incursion.
The video was made with Windows Movie Maker. If the response so far is any indication, it is drawing a lot of attention. We fully intend to make another video showing off the finished product and release that just before we release the mod. Avon said somewhere in another thread that pictures and screen shots sell mods to downloaders. I believe him. The video was surprisingly easy to do. Took about 90 minutes. I think more people should do a video of their project to post in the articles about them. Screenies are nice, but a short video really shows off what your new ship can do much better.
Indeed, infact I was inspired by your video to make one of my own but it seems Fraps has decided it no longer wants to record sound, which is interesting, so it kind of ruined my video. As for crossover between this and KA2, theres no danger of that. Each ship is configured in the physics to represent approximate tonnage, intertia and so forth, so no two play the same. Its all Starfox's genius so I couldn't tell you how it works so well, it just does.
So you say this mod will be a plug and play which will work on any other mod. Once someone downloads this all they'll have to do is drop it into the correct folder and wa-la? You don't have to configure it for any extra ships?
Intrepid781;4153251So you say this mod will be a plug and play which will work on any other mod. Once someone downloads this all they'll have to do is drop it into the correct folder and wa-la? You don't have to configure it for any extra ships?
We are trying to set this up so at the most, you'll have to copy and rename two files.
I'm curious, do the ships naturally dogfight like that or are they both set to circle/cloverleaf type attack patterns?