6th January 2008
I've been lurking about Armada II forums and websites for a while now, pretty much since the game came out. I've been trying my hand at little bits of modding here and there for about a year or so, and about 6 months ago I got an idea for a mod: adding the Alternate Universe Terran Empire to Armada II. I found adding a new race to be a bit troublesome (though I found the sticky in these forums quite helpful), so, instead I decided to replace the Federation with the Empire. From there I decided I wanted to change all the races and make my own little mod. I was wondering if anyone would be interested in playing such a mod, should I finish it. Also, if anyone would be interested in lending a hand on some stuff (specifically AI, maybe some new models but those aren't really necessary, making new special weapons, and if anyone knows how to make Single Player missions but from what I've read those are not easy to do). The Races as the mod is currently conceived are:
- Terran Empire
- Romulan Republic
- Klingon-Cardassian Alliance
I'm also considering the Tholians but that would require new models, and I don't have the programs to make models. Some basic principles of the mod's concept:
- The Terran Empire is very aggressive, every ship has some kind of weapon.
- Only the Romulans have cloaking devices.
- Cloak detection will not be available until later research and will be handled differently if I can figure out how to make the changes I want.
- When you research a special weapon it doesn't automatically get added to a ship, you have to refit the ship with weapon.
- Ships that can be refitted (most ships) can usually be refitted with one of at least two special weapons. This works different for different races. The Borg are much more flexible with this and some of there ships can be refitted with multiple weapons, while the Klingon-Cardassian Alliance is a lot less flexible and most of their ships only have a choice between two weapons per ship.
Anyone interested? Anyone have any input on the idea?
5th August 2004
6th January 2008
Thanks man. I'd share some pics of what I've done so far, but the forum doesn't seem to want to let me.
Thus far, I've got a new load screen, a new main menu, a new GUI for the Empire (not totally done yet, though) and I have most of the Empire done. Mostly just need to work out some bugs. learning as I go ... :)
12th October 2004
Sounds great. :)