Hi, Would someone please advise/put me out of my misery... I have loaded AoW Part II and part I, but when paying in instant action I get hammered within about 20 minutes by about a billion or so enemy ships. Many of them large and almost indestrutible even with 8 fed galaxy's. I just cannot build enough powerful ships in time. My questions are .... 1) Have I missed something, lost the plot, can you actually defeat this attack? (I was using 2 young 2 die) 2) Is it possible to reduce the number of attacking ships? 3) How do I edit the dilithium 'planets' to have more dilithium e.g more than 6000 which most seem to have. This mod is so enjoyable, but I have never played for more than 20 minutes which makes it quite frustrating. Any advice would be appreciated please note I am a mod super-newbie Thanks
1) yes you can but make sure you are using maps beginning AOW, easier defences.
2) yes, the medium/easy AIs are being re-written for part 3.
3) play the correct maps as the resources are totally different.
The cake is a lie.There is no cake.
13th November 2004
Hey xfiver, welcome to the forums.
The fact is, it's a hard mod to jump into. The wave after wave of ships that come up against you is usually unrelenting, so here are some strategies that I've come up with to last more than 20 minutes.
1) Ever heard of the phrase, 'best defense is a good offense'? This one applies here. If you're the Federation say, just build up a lot of really weak ships and send them out to attack the enemy fleet before it reaches your base. In the mean time, make sure that your many construction ships (having 5-10 won't harm in any way) are building turrets and bases.
2) Don't restrict yourself to one shipyard. If there is one thing I've learnt, it's that you need to have many more than one. Spread them out too so that the enemy can't take them out all in one go.
3) Make sure you know what your special weapons do and try and use them to the best of your ability. For example, the Federation utilise mainly damage enhancing specials, so it might be worth just setting the Ai special usage to high (red) so that they fire without you having to press stuff all the time.
4) Find any 'choke' points and utilise them. If you're unsure as to what choke points are, they are locations on the map where there is only one point to get through, such as a wormhole entrance/exit or an asteroid belt. If the enemy is gonna have to go through here to get to your base, position your defenses around here. Additionally, spread them out in a curve, so that the turrets look sorta like a bracket.
If the < is the wormhole, your turrets should be arranged like that. You maxmise the area you can fire from and then just overload it with turrets.
5) Make sure every rock is being mined by 3 freighters. 4 won't harm, but you might get a queue.
That's about it I guess. Good luck.
7th January 2006
One thing that Joelt didn't mention that I think bears repeating, especially if you're a Starfleet loyalist like myself:
Different vessels have different strengths and different special weapons. Alone they might have weaknessses but in properly balanced fleets, they can be unstoppable. It may take you a hundred tries before you find something that works-- but the sooner it works, and the harder it hurts the enemy, the more frequently you're going to want to employ it.
But there's no one way to do it right with the Fed side-- and that's especially true of the AoW version of Starfleet.
also, something I quite often enjoy is team matches. have a 3v3 or 2v2 and let you allies ship spam serve as defence leaving you tobuild up dreadnoughts and support ships.
For the feds I recommend station busting fleets using Titans, Excaliburs, Steamrunners and as many Achilles as you can.
let the Steamrunners and Titan's keep the defence forces busy setting their specials to full then the Achilles and Excaliburs specials can be kept to none AI and focused on single targets, my choice would be the research center.
Well, it appears Achilles has set quite the challenge before us. Only twenty minutes? That is very short indeed. The first few times, I did not last that long because I was gaping like a tourist at all the verah kewel stuff Achilles put into the mod. Next, I was awestruck by the sheer mass of metal heading in my direction howling for my blood. Now I am over it and simply trying to survive.
If you think about it from a certain point of view you are actually playing Achilles himself at one remove. He wrote the AIPs, they can only do what he tells them to. He's certainly going to challenge himself and his skills as much as possible. You've held your own against a most honorable and worthy opponent. Sure it was only twenty minutes, but even Alexander the Great hadda start somewhere. Imagine going up against Achilles online in an RTS game where mass really matters and a player has the ability to build thousands of units.
Oh, I have kinda wandered away from the thought. I am up to the seventh time thru AoW and my current best time is about twenty-five minutes. Surprised myself the other day. I actually got one of my ships close enough to a Metathran base to shoot at it. I missed and got buried about two minutes later. However, I walked around the rest of the day with a real sense of accomplishment. :)
thunderfoot006;4221639Oh, I have kinda wandered away from the thought. I am up to the seventh time thru AoW and my current best time is about twenty-five minutes. Surprised myself the other day. I actually got one of my ships close enough to a Metathran base to shoot at it. I missed and got buried about two minutes later. However, I walked around the rest of the day with a real sense of accomplishment. :)
ok, it seems I am still really screwing up when it comes to difficulty... I need a test group cause I'm going to beta what I have so far until someone can just about beat a hard AI. please pm me if you are interested.
Achilles;4221652Ok, it seems I am still really screwing up when it comes to difficulty... I need a test group cause I'm going to beta what I have so far until someone can just about beat a hard AI. please pm me if you are interested.
Please leave it alone. I like it just the way it is. I have always felt very strongly the AI in stock A2 has been seriously dumbed down. I suspect there is a way to defeat the AI, I just haven't found a solution I like yet. I also suspect I am not the only community member who is enjoying the challenge of AoW.
Hard AI will remain as it is, medium easy will take a dive but should still present a challenge. If you play on medium now I can include the files in the misc folder.
The cake is a lie.There is no cake.
13th November 2004
Considering few people are gonna play online, you might wanna have two Ai difficulty sets. The revised ones you're doing now and then in another folder, as you said, with alternatives in. The people who want to face the alternatives are likely going to be happy enough replacing them.