Well, I've no idea where I am going wrong, actually I swear (not at anyone) that I am not, just I can't for the life of me get my Map Editor Menu's to work properly. Currently, I've got 8 main menu's (out of the 12). I've got the ship lists for the ships that should come out of those menus. They don't work. I have checked the ship .odf files, the ship .SOD's, and everything. All appear fine. I now know that all the ships are working perfectly, as I have tested them buy putting them in the Federation menu. They show up fine I was under the impression that you could have 1728 items per map editor usage. That worked out via 12x12x12. You are able to have 12 main menu's, then 12 sub-menus in each of them, and another 12 menus per each sub menu. Is this the case, or does the Armada II engine actually have some stupid limit? What I've got so far is as follows: You start off with "editmenu.odf". In there, I have the following:
menuName1 = "s_cardassian.odf" menuName2 = "s_federation.odf" menuName3 = "s_klingon.odf" menuName4 = "s_romulan.odf" menuName5 = "m_mapplayable.odf" menuName6 = "" menuName7 = "" menuName8 = "" menuName9 = "" menuName10 = "" menuName11 = "" menuName12 = ""
Then, you'd have "m_mapplayable.odf". In there, I've got:
menuTitle = "Additional Ships & Stations" buildItem1 = "npc_breen.odf" buildItem2 = "npc_dominion.odf" buildItem3 = "npc_ferengi.odf" buildItem4 = "" buildItem5 = "" buildItem6 = "" buildItem7 = "" buildItem8 = "" buildItem9 = "" buildItem10 = "" buildItem11 = "" buildItem12 = ""
And then, picking up from the Dominion list, I've got:
menuTitle = "The Dominion Alliance" buildItem1 = "npc_d_combat.odf" buildItem2 = "npc_d_stations.odf"
And then picking up from the Combat ships, I have:
menuTitle = "Dominion Combat Ships" item1 = "dship01" item2 = "dship02" item3 = "dship03" item4 = "dship04" item5 = "dship05" item6 = "dship06" item7 = "" item8 = "" item9 = "" item10 = "" item11 = "" item12 = ""
It is this last menu that doesn't appear to be working, and I cannot work out for the life of me why not.
I didn't make it!
You said the editor could go 3 deep, Main, sub 1, and sub2. Your setup is 4 deep, Main, sub1, sub2, sub3.
Yeah you can only have the menu 3 deep - one file with "menuName#"s, one with "buildItem#"s, one with "item#"s
1728 (12^3) items, at first, but considering that the first 12 menus would be menus and thus not placeable objects, that's 12 more down, and the sub-menus for the 12 main menus would make another 144.
So...12^3 - 12^2 - 12 = 1728 - 144 - 12 = 1572 total placeable objects. If you wanna have more than that, make an alternate set, rename the original ones to something else, rename the new ones to the names that the original ones had, and continue to edit your map from there, if a map is going to actually start with over 1572 objects (ships, nebulae, stations, other stuff, etc) then that'd be necessary.
Actually, sorry but that's not correct. The number of items is 12^3 (1728). You don't need to minus any for the menus themselves.
There are 12 items on the first menu. From each of those 12 menus are items linking to 12 more menus. So that's 144 submenus. On each of those 144 menus are 12 items. 12x144 is 12^3 is 1728.
I understand where you're coming from with the numbers for the menus, but you ADD them to 1728, not subtract. To use a smaller example (2 for each menu) menu:submenu:item 1 (menu) 1:1 (submenu) 1:1:1 (item) 1:1:2 (item) 1:2 (submenu) 1:2:1 (item) 1:2:2 (item) 2 (menu) 2:1 (submenu) 2:1:1 (item) 2:1:2 (item) 2:2 (submenu) 2:2:1 (item) 2:2:2 (item)
Number of items = 2^3.
As for getting more than that, you don't need to replace the whole set of menus. Just have another set with different names, and a version of editmenu.odf for each, and just swap between the 2 files. That's what I do with races.odf to keep my IA race list tidy.
Well, I suppose if I had used the map editor I would know that. :eek: Thanks.
Hmm.. I can't say I understand what the two of you are on about now with all the subtracting and what not, but Atlantis, you appear to have cracked my problem. I knew it was something simple and obvious, and staring me right in the face, but I didn't catch on :lol: All works as it should now anyway. Thanks! :)