Hello, I am trying to create a dust cloud for in game asthetics by making it a nebula, that way it has a light falloff and so it wont do like background objects and "hide" behind other units. But, I'm running into a slight problem...each time I add it to the map editor, it crashes each time I switch to the menu it's on. I know for sure that it's not in the editor odf's it's self because the names are character for character (minus the .odf extention), and it works just fine if I replace it's entry in the editor with another one.
Right now my best guess on the problem is that Armada can only handle a certain amount of Nebulae, because all I have for the dust cloud's odf is a direct copy of the Tachyon nebula odf, and I know that Midnight Universe has added about 3 new nebulae to the Armada I'm modding. And also I know for sure it's not a sod problem because it runs fine when I load it into Storm3D, and when I replace another nebula's sod with it.
Any clue of what might be going on, or am I right on my grim guess :uhm:.
Have you doubled checked your sprite entries? Everything else sounds like it's in order.
if the SOD works correct in the SODviewer than there must be something wrong in the odf entries. I have added manny new nebulae to A2 and never had such a problem, so there shouldn't be a limit for them.
I'm going to post all of the code I have, short of posting the actual files I'm using. With hope it's just me forgetting to add something extra @_@
// Runtime class of object. classLabel = "nebula_obj"
// Name of type. unitName = "Tachyon Nebula"
// Tooltips tooltip = "NEBULA_TACHYON" verboseTooltip = "NEBULA_TACHYON_V"
// specify what type it is for the nebula map and such // Radioactive = 1 // Metreon = 2 // Mutara = 3 // Metaphasic = 4 // Cerulean = 5 nebulaType = 5
//Sound played ambientSound = "msnebam.wav"
// Effect Radius of nebula effectRadius = 300
// How expensive it is to path through pathing_cost = 100
// Set the effect flags. 0 = no effect, 1 = disable system disableWeapons = 0 disableShields = 0 disableSensors = 0 disableCrew = 0 disableCloak = 0
// Set damage flags and timer //damage of ship per frame damageValue = 0
//lifespan of cloud. If set to 0, cloud is permenant lifeTimer = 0
// Object inside this nebula are hidden from sensors. hideContents = 0
// Sprite to use for minimap display. mapSprite = "map_nebula5"
// Size of sprite chunk to use for minimap. mapSize = 5
// We generate the mesh for this in code dont_load_SOD = 0
// How fast does pulsing change speed? (1st derivatives of pulsing speed) min_speed_change = 0.0025 speed_change_period_divisor = 0.3 speed_change_range = 0.6
// We have a one in n chance of getting a light source one_in_n_chance_of_light_source = 6
// What's the base light source color? red_glow = 0.5 green_glow = 0.0 blue_glow = 0.5
// What's the allowable color swing of the light source? red_glow_range = 0.5 green_glow_range = 0.0 blue_glow_range = 0.5
// How does the lighting fall off? glow_falloff_start = 60.0 glow_falloff_range = 60.0
// How do we slow down ships? (coefficient is a multiple, speed limit // is a cap; set speed limit to -1 to have an unlimited speed limit) craft_speed_coefficient = 1.0 craft_speed_limit = -1
//Change the scale of the SOD ScaleSOD = 5
// we can build in tachyon nebulas canWeBuildInHere = 1
nebula.spr (new code only)
@reference=512 @tmaterial=additive ## @tmaterial=alphathreshold
dust1 mdust1 0 0 256 256 dust2 mdust1 0 256 256 256 dust3 mdust1 256 0 256 256 dust4 mdust1 256 256 256 256
# Dust cloud @sprite_node dust1 dust1 subflick1 (80,80) (.9,.9,.9) billboard @sprite_node dust2 dust2 subflick1 (30,30) (.9,.9,.9) billboard @sprite_node dust3 dust3 subflick1 (40,40) (.9,.9,.9) billboard @sprite_node dust4 dust4 subflick1 (50,50) (.9,.9,.9) billboard
animation.spr (new code only)
I didn't make it!
I don't think you need the ej_dust.odf. Try doing away with it and just put the nebula's odf there.
you still have the Tachyon Nebula name and its tooltips in your mdust1.odf change it to dustcloud, maybe your editor don't like to have two objects with the same name. :) :confused: All other seems correct to me, try what starfox1701 said to.
Gahh, this one is an idiot >.< I had one of the joints named as s_dust_3 instead of s_dust4_3...it kept on crashing because there was a nonexistant node in the mesh...why it worked in the viewer and not in game is beyond me o.0.
Anyways, thanks for your help everyone, and to anyone who finds this and is having the same problem...check your nodes :Puzzled:.