Capt. Dawg

Captain: USS Courageous

50 XP

21st April 2004

0 Uploads

88 Posts

0 Threads

#1 15 years ago

This is The Capt. I had to recently install Windows 2003 Server for my computer and now my Bridge Commander won't work at all it has a D3D rendering problem. If anyone can help me get Bridge Commander to work for 2003 windows i would be very grateful

I didn't make it!

0 XP

#2 15 years ago

There are two possible problems in my mind. (1) You may be having a problem with DirectX9.0, in which case you should see that forum. Otherwise, while you can install DirectX on Windows Server 2003, but by default all DirectX acceleration is disabled (since Microsoft assumes you'll just be running a server, not needing graphic capabilities). Simply use dxdiag and go to your display tab. Turn DirectDraw, Direct3d, and AGP Texture acceleration, as they will have been disabled from install. I hope I have helped.

elminster

Bridge Commander Master HPer

50 XP

26th October 2002

0 Uploads

1,448 Posts

0 Threads

#3 15 years ago

Erm, why are you running BC on a server?

Server's are normally optimized for network and background applications. Whereas XP ect are optimized for Forground applications.

While you can certainly change most of this around, it just seems a little redundant?

CaptainFish

Captain Of the USS Seaworthy

50 XP

6th July 2003

0 Uploads

887 Posts

0 Threads

#4 15 years ago

i'll admit a server program would be much faster then your typical computer. There Processors run on a simple command interface level. While your normal desktop runs on a complex command interface level. The Simple is much faster but cannon handle as much its mostly designed to sort files onto its hardrive and register online users, while the complex you can do multiple tasks easily as it will confirm more things and be your normal computer. But i highlly doubt processor power will have anything to do with your problems tho.

I would reccemend that you make it dual boot and run the windows 2003 server for your server apps, and your XP apps for games and such....

(its been a looooong time since i've been in Networking class, if i am wrong on any of this please correct me and i will happily be stood correct)