SPOILERS! - Star Trek: Beyond -1 reply

Please wait...

FileTrekker Über Admin

I'm spending a year dead for tax reasons.

269,301 XP

15th December 2002

85 Uploads

22,518 Posts

1,747 Threads

#1 2 years ago

Just been to see it in IMAX 3D, which is nice.

I liked the various nods to Star Trek III scattered throughout, from it being Kirk's birthday, to the drinking scene with Bones, the ship burning up and all that. Unlike the last film, this one does not rely on copying it's relative predecessor so heavily, the overall plot shares no resemblance except in subtle nods and references, if you can call destroying the ship subtle.

One thing that is for sure though, this film is a lot better than Star Trek III. It's no Wrath of Khan, but it's pretty good.

I'd say it was the best of the reboot films, still not quite true Star Trek but getting there.

There were odd things that jarred with me still, most of these are going to be purely Trekkie type stuff. First of all there's the fact the constitution class can now saucer separate? Weird.

Weirder is the fact that the USS Franklin is apparently the first ship capable of Warp 4, but seems to be from after the period of the NX-01 enterprise, indeed it's register number is a lot higher; the NX-01 was capable of Warp 5. Sure, it may have been older, and re-named, but the ship seemed a lot more advanced than the NX-01, too, inside and out. There were nods to the design of the NX-01 though, which I liked.

But yeah, overall, at least there wasn't any beaming to Qo'nos instantly or warping to Vulcan in five minutes and all that crap.

Although the Yorktown outpost is both insane and, even more inexplicably, despite being the size of a small planet, has one, central, unguarded air filter?

What?

So yeah, better, still heavy on action and lacking in plot overall, but much better. A definitely decent action-adventure movie though.

Danny King | Community Manager | GameFront.com

FileTrekker Über Admin

269,301 XP

15th December 2002

85 Uploads

22,518 Posts

1,747 Threads

#2 2 years ago

cxgfx

RadioactiveLobster Forum Admin

Jeff is a mean boss

565,402 XP

28th July 2002

0 Uploads

53,121 Posts

1,330 Threads

#3 2 years ago

I don't plan to see it (I'll rent it some day when it's cheap) so I don't care if I spoil it.

Good to know it isn't shit.

Did they do anything for Chekov's character in this movie? I know Anton died after the thing was basically done. I know they dedicated the film to him but I wasn't sure if they did anything to the character or if that'll just be at the beginning of the next movie.

If there is no image, Mikey broke something...

Lindale Forum Mod

Mister Angry Rules Guy

241,128 XP

1st February 2010

0 Uploads

23,429 Posts

2 Threads

#4 2 years ago

It is still JJ Abrams, so I have no plans to ever see it.

filesnation_by_lindale_ff-da1kplo.png

FileTrekker Über Admin

269,301 XP

15th December 2002

85 Uploads

22,518 Posts

1,747 Threads

#5 2 years ago
"Lindale"It is still JJ Abrams, so I have no plans to ever see it.

He was less involved this time, more of a figurehead for the project as he was working on Star Wars instead.

It shows. This is the least "JJ" of the 3 I would say.

Lord Rumpuss V VIP Member

Follow A Paranoid

186,730 XP

25th November 2006

0 Uploads

18,518 Posts

0 Threads

#6 2 years ago

Just saw it with with my father (Whose the Trekkie in the family) and how he described it best summed up how I felt. "It' sure was a nice sci-fi popcorn flick, but boy that ain't star trek."

Signature brought to you by Carl's Jr.

Mr. Matt VIP Member

#BanRadioActiveLobster

356,406 XP

17th June 2002

7 Uploads

33,654 Posts

779 Threads

#7 1 year ago

I only recently saw this film. Suffice to say it still isn't Star Trek, but it comes closer than the last two travesties at least.

"FileTrekker"One thing that is for sure though, this film is a lot better than Star Trek III. It's no Wrath of Khan, but it's pretty good.

I'd say it was the best of the reboot films, still not quite true Star Trek but getting there.[/quote]

I disagree with the first part here, but I definitely agree with the second part. It's the best of the reboots by far. It actually tackled some  sort-ofthoughtful issues, and it tackled them fairly well considering, which I think is a welcome change for the JJ-verse. The fact that JJ Abrams is now busy with Star Wars probably helped in this regard. If the next film jumps in quality as much as this one did, there may be hope for the reboot series yet.

"FileTrekker"There were odd things that jarred with me still, most of these are going to be purely Trekkie type stuff. First of all there's the fact the constitution class can now saucer separate? Weird.[/quote]

Actually, it is commonly accepted that the Constitution-class could *always* separate, but it was an irreversible procedure reserved for emergencies:

"Memory Alpha"The primary and secondary hulls could separate where the connecting "neck" joined the saucer, allowing either section to serve as a lifeboat if the other was too badly damaged. If an emergency was confined to the warp engine nacelles, it was theoretically possible to disengage and jettison them while keeping the bulk of the vessel intact. Any hull separation was considered a dangerous procedure and not always an option. (TOS: "The Apple", "The Savage Curtain")

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Constitution_class

We just never saw it happen. Mostly because who was going to blast an expensive studio model apart in a low-budget 1960s TV series.

Weirder is the fact that the USS Franklin is apparently the first ship capable of Warp 4, but seems to be from after the period of the NX-01 enterprise, indeed it's register number is a lot higher; the NX-01 was capable of Warp 5. Sure, it may have been older, and re-named, but the ship seemed a lot more advanced than the NX-01, too, inside and out. There were nods to the design of the NX-01 though, which I liked.

Franklin predates the NX-class. Obviously. The 'more advanced' bit can be explained away, unfortunately, in the same manner as it could with Enterprise - special effects got better. Although personally, I always preferred Matt Jeffries' interpretation of starship design and found it more believable - why would starships have bits of crap hanging off them in the 23rd century? It'd all be internal to avoid space walks! They should be clean and smooth, because it makes them easier to maintain.

To be honest (and everybody here knows my thoughts about Enterprise by now, so this is saying something), I thought that Franklin was perhaps the best treatment of a Prime universe ship in the entire reboot. It was a clear homage to the era, and you didn't need it to be explained to 'get it'. Of all of the horrific ship designs the Abramsverse has given us thus far, this is by far the best and most thoughtful design.

[quote="FileTrekker"]But yeah, overall, at least there wasn't any beaming to Qo'nos instantly or warping to Vulcan in five minutes and all that crap.

There was plenty of crap. Star Trek is now Star Wars - which would be fine, as I quite like Star Wars too, but this isn't meant to be Star Wars. I remain surprised that they don't measure time in parsecs.

[quote="FileTrekker"]Although the Yorktown outpost is both insane and, even more inexplicably, despite being the size of a small planet, has one, central, unguarded air filter?

Death Star.

But yeah, the Yorktown outpost is bizarre and completely out-of-place. I did like the nod to the previous name of the Enterprise-A though.

MrFancypants Forum Admin

The Bad

217,012 XP

7th December 2003

0 Uploads

20,003 Posts

6 Threads

#8 1 year ago

Watched this one recently on Blu-ray. Good fun movie with nice special effects, but wasn't entirely convinced by it either. I liked it better than the last one and probably more than most of the Next Generation movies (with exception of First Contact, of course) and better than some of the old crew movies too. So in total it ranks pretty high. But there were also a bunch of stereotypical movie elements that make me a cringe a little bit every time I see them - like the dramatic close-up on the oh so powerful enemy ship. Or drones. Or magical plot devices borrowed from some sort of Marvel superhero flick.

In the end what makes a movie work is the conversation and chemistry between the actors. I think they did pretty well in that regard.

RadioactiveLobster Forum Admin

Jeff is a mean boss

565,402 XP

28th July 2002

0 Uploads

53,121 Posts

1,330 Threads

#9 1 year ago

I should probably get around to watching this at some point

If there is no image, Mikey broke something...

FileTrekker Über Admin

269,301 XP

15th December 2002

85 Uploads

22,518 Posts

1,747 Threads

#10 1 year ago

"Mr. Matt"Actually, it is commonly accepted that the Constitution-class could *always* separate, but it was an irreversible procedure reserved for emergencies:

We just never saw it happen. Mostly because who was going to blast an expensive studio model apart in a low-budget 1960s TV series.[/quote]

Well, the more you know. I actually like the film better now.

"Mr. Matt"Franklin predates the NX-class. Obviously. The 'more advanced' bit can be explained away, unfortunately, in the same manner as it could with Enterprise - special effects got better. Although personally, I always preferred Matt Jeffries' interpretation of starship design and found it more believable - why would starships have bits of crap hanging off them in the 23rd century? It'd all be internal to avoid space walks! They should be clean and smooth, because it makes them easier to maintain.

To be honest (and everybody here knows my thoughts about Enterprise by now, so this is saying something), I thought that Franklin was perhaps the best treatment of a Prime universe ship in the entire reboot. It was a clear homage to the era, and you didn't need it to be explained to 'get it'. Of all of the horrific ship designs the Abramsverse has given us thus far, this is by far the best and most thoughtful design.

Agreed. Although you could argue it had extensive refits over the years too.

[quote="Mr. Matt"]There was plenty of crap. Star Trek is now Star Wars - which would be fine, as I quite like Star Wars too, but this isn't meant to be Star Wars. I remain surprised that they don't measure time in parsecs.

Not quite on the same scale I felt - but care to name examples? The diving off a cliff bit in a raggidy old starship was a bit far for me mind,