Stark98

I would die without GF

138,935 XP

25th March 2005

0 Uploads

13,416 Posts

0 Threads

#31 12 years ago

well, to akula. They if we take the disc example, they put the disk in but they burn all the data all the memory of it on the disc. Meaning, they download all the knowledge of the collective in the drones.

Tommy MK1

At ease, Cadet!

50 XP

11th April 2006

0 Uploads

704 Posts

0 Threads

#32 12 years ago

I don't think all the knowledge is shared within the collective. Seven of Nine on occasions didn't know particular info and had to consult the Borg database in Voyagers' cargobay. And other knowledge and data, like some very important tactical data is protected by the Queen herself. Somehow it seems that the Queen acts on her own and uses the Collective for her own evil purposes, but that's besides the point. The collective has collected and assimilated countless amounts of data and needs to organise and proces it. I don't think a single Borgdrone is capable of processing that enormous amount of data and store it inside his/her brain/harddrive and still be able to perform duties (or be alive for that matter). The brain may be one of the most powerfull supercomputers around, but it still has its limits.

Psychokenesis

I'm too cool to Post

136,505 XP

16th October 2003

0 Uploads

13,428 Posts

0 Threads

#33 12 years ago

That's correct. Drones only know information that pretains to past they are to do or have done in the past.

Nittany Tiger Forum Moderator

Feel me. Do I feel pretty?

289,182 XP

15th September 2004

0 Uploads

27,142 Posts

0 Threads

#34 12 years ago

You know, their brains could act like RAM in a computer, only storing memory that is needed at the time and then transferring it somewhere else and picking up new memory for the task at hand. They could also store the memory they need for the tasks or general stuff. That way, they know only what is needed then plus some extra stuff of importance.

EDIT: They also have their past memory erased when assimilated, which frees up more space (though this memory wipe isn't exact so the past memory actually remains).

Psychokenesis

I'm too cool to Post

136,505 XP

16th October 2003

0 Uploads

13,428 Posts

0 Threads

#35 12 years ago

I don't know about that Killer Kyle. I don't think there is a memory wipe I think it's a bypass.

akula2ssn

I follow teh Moo!

50 XP

24th June 2005

0 Uploads

829 Posts

0 Threads

#36 12 years ago

Unless 7 of 9 had an entire memory download into her brain before she was disconnected, about who she was, I'd have to say that a drones' prior memories are simply just partitioned off within their brains and repressed. Each drone may have a lot of basic information put in their brains about what is going on and what they need to know to function as a drone. However other information may not be directly stored within the drone's brain. When you think about it, it's not necessary. With the way the Borg function, a single drone can just plug in and access the ship's computer(s) or another drone like a PC connects to a server to view other information.

Oh God...The collective is a bunch of WoW players. Got the basic game software on the PC, but have to access the server where the specifics of the game are stored.