All was fine till the new patch came out. I downloaded it and installed it. However I got this error:
"processing file: worldbuilder.exe" then comes up with the error
"patch error. old file not found however file of the same name was found. No update done since file contents do not match."
Since then: 1. I uninstalled/reinstalled ZH tried patch again
2. uninstalled/removed doc folders and prog folders/reinstalled ZH
3. uninstalled/removed doc folders and prog folders/removed registry entries/reintalled ZH
4. unistalled ZH and generals/removed all folders and registry entries/ reinstalled generals and ZH
5.Wiped clean hard drive reinstalled windows/Generals and ZH
I have also tried downloading the patch from within the game and from different websites but all are the same error.
Since wiping clean hard drive the same error occurs when i tried to patch Generals 1.7
I have started taking time off work and havent had any sleep since the patch came out. please help me or i'm going to shoot somebody, probably myself thanks in advance.
hmm...seems u went and did very heavy attacking on trying to fix it eh? it might just be better if u shoot urself ;)
only think you could do is to contact EALA about it, since you've tried all other options:uhm:
I just got a reply from EA. I did as the email suggested and ran the uninstall program then i deleted the folders and re-installed Generals.
I ran patch 1.1 that worked and I thought problem solved. I have ran patch 1.2, 1.3 and 1.4 they all worked too. Then I got to 1.5 and the same problem again. "Old file not found." So I went to the CD and extracted worldbuilder.exe from worldbuilder.cab and replaced the one in the ea folder. Ran the patch again but it still did not work.
I then tried to run Worldbuilder but it came up with the error: "abnormal program termination".
I remember when i first had generals i had the same problem and to resolve this I replaced the existing file to get it to work but i cant remember where I downloaded it from. I know it has worked as I have modded many maps.
I right clicked on worldbuilder.exe and clicked on properties.
Under the "general" tab I got this:
Size: 6.47 MB (6,787,072 bytes), 6,791,168 bytes used. Created: 13 January 2003 18:59:24 Modified: 13 January 2003 18:59:24
and under the "version" tab I got this:
Product Version: 0, 8, 0, 0 Special Build Description: $
If any1 has the Generals CD could u please extract the worlbuilder file (to a different folder) and check it's properties to see if they match and if u could tell me if u have had problems patching. Once again thanks in advance.
wow....ur a great troubleshooter! is ur cd scratched maby? it can be scratches on the cd where worldbuilder is...
||PC|Gamer|Mofo||wow....ur a great troubleshooter! is ur cd scratched maby? it can be scratches on the cd where worldbuilder is...
My first cd1 for Generals had a massive scratch on it and the CDROM could not even read from the CD so I when i tried to re-install it it didnt work. I went out a bought another one as I couldn't install Zero Hour either without it. but this 1 is not even 2 weeks old and is mint condition.
I got another email from EA and this time the patch worked. The guy suggested to reinstall generals without any background programs running and then run the patch right after. It worked!!!!!!!!!! boy its a miracle!!!!!!! santa came early for me.
I think the main thing that may have made a difference though is that i clean wiped the hard drive upgraded from win98 to winME and i did not install direct x before installing generals. i also cleaned out the TEMP folder in windows as suggested.
Thanks for everyones help and i think i can put the gun down now (and get some sleep at night!!!!!!!!)
PS i'm gonna go grovel to my boss tomorrow!
wow....never would of thought! well...im happy for u. enjoy the game!