Collision, Proximity, and Full 360 Movement Additions -1 reply

Please wait...

I didn't make it!

0 XP

#1 10 years ago

As we all know (and i would assume most of us hate) Legacy dose not have collision and damage detection between player ships and all other objects, or for that matter proximity detection to stars (suns). Plus as seen in Star Trek2 space is three dimensional (unless you believe legacy :uhoh: ). So my request\idea was that these imperfections in what could have been one of the best star trek games ever. But that is beside the point, all of the imperfections in the game related to the ship models and the game play have been if not solved then addressed well enough (for now :rolleyes: ) but I think it would be a serious feather in any moders\group of moders cap to fix, look into, address... what ever you want to call it. At the very least getting the idea flowing through the very skilled moders minds might be enough. The only problem I can see is that your team NPC Team mates are to stupid to avoid planets stars and other ships :naughty:!! See ya'll around the galaxy

I didn't make it!

0 XP

#2 10 years ago

I have this fixed :D...

But there is a specific reason why ships dont avoid objects in Legacy though, I stumbled across it only a few weeks ago but fixing it made a world of difference.

It just a way how Legacy is set up, it most likely a big sign of Legacy being rushed out the door.

dissembly

I don't spend enough time here

50 XP

13th July 2008

0 Uploads

21 Posts

0 Threads

#3 10 years ago

Interesting; how did you get this fixed? Would you consider writing a quick tutorial and posting it up?

I didn't make it!

0 XP

#4 10 years ago

All of a sudden, I think the balance of Star Trek Legacy is going to be turned up on its head! Im going to look into this too. See if I can find anything interesting.

I didn't make it!

0 XP

#5 8 years ago

i know im bumping a 2 year old thread but in all the time in between i have yet to see a mod or total conversion that addresses this... LOL.... but seriously tjoz said he found a fix and yet... NOTHING -_- if i knew more about the engine's language and (or any language) i might try to figure it out myself... but i dont so every time ive tried poking around in the game files i broke it...

is there ANY news at all about this? other than a 2 year old post that says he found the fix...??

MARKYNCC

NG-Mods Mission Creator

50 XP

27th May 2009

0 Uploads

148 Posts

0 Threads

#6 8 years ago

Daygall65;5296800i know im bumping a 2 year old thread but in all the time in between i have yet to see a mod or total conversion that addresses this... LOL.... but seriously tjoz said he found a fix and yet... NOTHING -_- if i knew more about the engine's language and (or any language) i might try to figure it out myself... but i dont so every time ive tried poking around in the game files i broke it...

is there ANY news at all about this? other than a 2 year old post that says he found the fix...??

What do you mean, ships do avoid each other, and if you get close to a planet you avoid it?

I didn't make it!

0 XP

#7 8 years ago

from most of my experience with legacy in missions -quick battle or campaign- ware there are many ships i have seen them just run into each-other and kinda do this weird "slide" off of themselves which is decidedly Unrealistic, same with planets, i could deliberately TRY to run into ANYTHING in this game and nothing happens. its like Star Trek + bumper cars....

I know im probably being overly picky, and im sorry for that.. but comeon.... your ship STALLS at a 90* angel, you cant run into things and suffer any kind of consequence...

JUST ONCE id love to be in battle with a tactical cube 1v1 with a galaxy, an knowing i was gonna die just KAMIKAZE them shouting "ASSIMILATE THIS!" but sadly i cant do that.... OR pull a complete 180* rotation and BLAST the crap out of an opponent with my froward torps.. no instead i have to try to get a galaxy, sovereign, any of the bigger ships to try to OUT TURN the other dude... lol

like i said before I know NOTHING about what im doing and i have tried for the past 2 years to find out what i need to know to do what i want but A i dont have a lot of time B i have no idea really ware even to begin, what had given me hope was that tjoz said he found something, but i have never seen anything

sorry if that was a little long winded

tj_hawk

Terran Emperor

50 XP

2nd April 2008

0 Uploads

731 Posts

0 Threads

#8 8 years ago

yeah about tjoz....don't expect to hear anything from him, im not gonna go into details, but he does not want to associate himself with Legacy Files. I have nothing but respect for him and i'm leaving it at that.

I didn't make it!

0 XP

#9 8 years ago

You haven't seen the kind of progress you want to see because it's not possible with the Game Engine. 3d flight (real 3d flight) is not possible with Legacy. There are no "bottom or top" thrusters to push your ship in those directions, there is no reverse. You can't pull up and do a 360 because the engine won't let you get those top couple % of the turn.

Collision damage wasn't designed into the engine, althought at one point it was supposed to be something they were looking at possibly doing. As they didn't put it in the engine it's not possible. Probably in part because the AI is so awful at "object avoidance". Now strides can be made in "Object Avoidance" and limit the "Glancing off each other" that is very prevalent. Tjoz said he found how to fix "Object Avoidance", and if he was still on this forum (which he left awhile back) he wouldn't likely go into any more detail than that he had fixed it for his mod.

To test how well he managed to fix object avoidance you can find Aftermath 2.0 and give it a run and see how much better it is for you.