I'd appreciate any help with the following questions: 1. How do I edit/add/delete tga icons? Say I wanted to add a new icon for a new unit. What would I need to do? 2. Is there any way of adding a hardpoint to a unit without changing the model? Say I wanted to allow an X-wing to fire both lasers and proton torps, or if I wanted additional hardpoints on a capital ship (not substituting old ones for new ones). How would I do that? 3. This actually has to do with Question 2. If that doesn't work, could I use like a special ability type thing on the X-wing, where it fires proton torps as a special ability? 4. Which file do I edit to change what the enemy AI builds in skirmish? Say I created a new unit 'Rebel Star Destroyer' copied off the ISD. I've added it to the starbase build list. How do I make the Rebel AI build these new ships? 5. This has to do with Question 4. I generally prefer larger capital ship battles, and in my own mod the Empire can't build TIEs in skirmish (they're spawned from hangers, since they don't have hyperdrive). How do I change the AI to build less fighters and more capital ships? 6. Which XML file do I go to edit skirmish colors? And what are the numbers for the colors? I know it's 3 numbers separated by comas, but I have no idea of the combinations. Or if I wanted them all to be uncolored (white)? 7. Related to Question 6. I know how to edit projectile colors, but I have no idea of the color combination numbers. 8. How do I change it so that the Executor SSD spawns all fighters at once like every other capital ship instead of having to activate it every time? 9. How do you change the garrison forces of different levels of skirmish starbases? Say I wanted X-wings for Lvl1, and MonCals for Lvl5. I know how to edit the basic starting units, but can you change it so that it is different for every level? 10. Can I import a unit from one mod to my own? I'm guessing that I'd need to import the model and textures, and edit the objectdatafiles list, and set the tga icons (this was addressed in Question 1). But I'd like clear clarification on whether this is doable, and if there's something else I need to do. I'd appreciate any help here, thanks a lot!! Even replying to just a few of the questions (I know I gave a hugeass list) would be deeply appreciated!!:lol:
1. Use the MTD editor.
2. No, you'd need to change the model.
4. Not sure.
5. Again, not sure.
6. I think it is gameconstants.xml.
7. Probably projectiles.xml. For the colors just google it.
8. Remove its ability and copy the spawning code from something else.
9. Not sure.
10. It is possible. But can be glitchy if done incorrectly, you may have to edit some things in the original code.
6. the xml file is game constants. For the colors go into paint, then click edit colors, the 4 numbers wich make up a color are: e.g. 37,7,205
sorry pressed wrong button 37, 7, 205 red green blue a 4th set of numbers is alpha leave that at 255 same for projectiles
Sorry to tag on to this thread with my own question but I dont think my question warrants its own thread since its no doubt stupid. I just for FOC and installed it but I am looking to find the XML folder where I can edit it to my own likes. Where can the XMLs for FOC be found ? I know that the original EAW had a folder full of them and it was a simple case of editing them but I cant find the XML folder in the FOC dir.
Download the FOC map editor found on this site, it will create a folder inside your game folder called "mods\source\data\xmls" look there for all of the xmls. Search the download section for the following tools: MTDeditor(icons), DATeditor(text), ALO model viewer, EAW Extractor(extracts files from .meg files. Models, sounds, textures, xml, etc), DDS Converter. Question 2: You could use the switch weapon command, I'll show you when your a little more familar with the xmls. Questions 4 & 5: After you donwload the map editor, goto the mods\source\data\scripts\ai\landmode\, and open "Tacticalmultiplayerbuildlandunitsgeneric.lua" this tells the AI which units to build during skirmish battles. Question 6: White is 255,255,255, and black is 0,0,0. Just open up Paint, and select a color, then you can find out what it's RGB value is. Question 7: You have to reskin the w_laser_small.alo model, for a new color. You can use photoshop cs1 with .dds plugin, or gimp with the dds converter. Question 9: Starbases.xml, search "skirmish" until you find the starbases used in skirmish. Then look for , here you can list units available for that level starbase.
2. You can allow fighters to fire projectiles other than their lasers. Create a hardpoint for them, set the fire bone to one of the Muzzle_A##, Muzzle_B## bones (the ROOT bone might work,) make it non targetable and add it to the unit entry. I won't go into too much detail because I can't be arsed (and I don't have EaW installed at the mo') but check out the already existing bomber hardpoints to get an idea of how it works.
4. Just off the top of my head I believe the lua file to edit is called SpaceBuildablesSkirmish.
6. HERE is a color chart.
EDIT: Here is a link to help with 9 (I think it is the same with EaW and FoC) also I don't know if it works with skirmish. http://forums.filefront.com/showthread.php?t=298225&highlight=replace
10. Can I import a unit from one mod to my own? I'm guessing that I'd need to import the model and textures, and edit the objectdatafiles list, and set the tga icons (this was addressed in Question 1). But I'd like clear clarification on whether this is doable, and if there's something else I need to do.
If you do, and you want to put your mod on the internet, you MUST give credits to the author(The author, not necassarily the person who put it up)