Awesome I can barely wait for this new patch! This will enhance on a already terrific mod!! Thanks TR team!
Thrawn's Revenge: Future Plans and Criticisms Addressed
In the previous update we talked about some of the future plans for the mod, and some of the changes we intend to make. However, we did not address some of the other criticisms we've seen when we read discussions about the mod. This update is more or less dedicated to addressing those, because we do read everything we find, and we do consider it. This should give a better idea of the direction we want to take the project in in the near future, whether it's all addressed in patch 1.1, or more. We've already addressed the AI and SSD, so those won't be mentioned here.
The first two things really aren't criticisms, just technical issues that we apparently didn't address properly.
1. Every text entry is [MISSING]. Why? The mod is meant to be used on an English install, because we all speak English. If you speak another language, go into the mod's Data folder, then the Text folder, and change Mastertextfile_English.dat into whatever language your game is. The text will be in English, but it will at least be there. If you are fluent in both English and another language, and would like to translate the mod, please contact us by Pm or email at [email]ThrawnsRevenge@gmail.com[/email] . That is one thing we certainly can't do ourselves.
2. I have the game on Steam, and am having trouble installing it. Can you help me? We can. How can I make this mod run on the Steam version ?
Now, for actual complaints people brought up. These are drawn from public posts in both the English and German communities, on our MDB profile, forums, EaW Files news and download pages, and a thread about us on Steiner Modding Group's forums. If you have a different issue, and it isn't addressed here, please bring it up on our forums and we will address it.
1. Autoresolve sucks. We know. My mistake. We know what's wrong, and it's being fixed. Autoresolve is always going to be kind of sketchy because it's based on a bunch of stupid parameters, but it will be at least as reasonable as it is in EaW.
2. The mod lags when I play as or against the Empire of the Hand, or when K-Wings are on the screen. The Clawcraft is rather high poly, which is enough to cause many computers to lag when large numbers are on screen. This will be addressed. The K-wing has a shadow mesh that is extremely high poly, so even the best computers will probably lag with it. This has already been fixed, and will be in the patch.
3. The game is different and doesn't play exactly the same way it used to. I can't just bomber spam and win. Thank you. Goal achieved.
4. My ships are blind. They can only see about 10 feet in front of each other. Visual ranges have been greatly increased on all ships.
5. Are you going to do more eras? Probably not. We're happy to continue improving and adding on to what we have now, but there's really no other eras we could add as far as the scope of the mod goes, keeping the same factions. Anything else, if we do it, would not be under the Imperial Civil War name, at least.
6. Not every map was replaced, some vanilla ones remain, and some planets share maps. There are 120 planets in the mod, and 65 new ground maps. Mapping is extraordinarily time consuming, with each one taking around 15-20 hours, depending on type and specifications. We work on them as we have the chance, but really, there's always going to be some duplicates, unless we get a bunch of help with that.
7. FX are good, but they came from the FX mod. FX mod was started out of Thrawn's Revenge. The particles came from TR and went to FX. Both mods are made by more or less the same people.
8. Every reinforcement point gives you a unit capacity of 10 right off the bat. This was a conscious decision based on personal preference, and we're open to discussion on it. The way we saw it, the RPs are useful for getting different places to bring down units, and making you run around the map to capture them every battle isn't fun. Again, open to discussion.
9. Little unit diversity. The goal of the mod isn't to throw in every possible unit, regardless of whether or not the role is filled. We'll do what we can to diversify the Imperial leaders a bit more, but as far as the space aspect of the IR and Nr are concerned, we're happy with what we have. They'll get a few more units, but not many. The Empire of the Hand is certainly a work in progress though, so they don't have the same diversity yet, but we're working on it.
10. No campaign/tech progression, it is just kill one person and move on. We never promised a campaign, for one thing. Campaigns are a lot of work, and when the people who'd be making it are the same ones who make the art assets, it gets pushed really far aside. If people had suggestions or wanted to help make a good one, then please, post them. As for the GC progression system, we don't see anything else that could be done with it to make it more story driven without removing the sandbox aspect of it. We don't want to force the player to follow the Star Wars timeline in the Galactic Conquest mode, unless we made one specifically for that purpose. If you have ideas for random events and missions, and/or can help put them in, then please contact us.
11. Some stuff looks terrible, especially with the Empire of the Hand. I expect more from 4 years of development. We know. We make our own stuff, and started off just learning for the mod. So a lot of the time was spent redoing old stuff, which is what we're doing now to bring everything up to a higher standard. The majority of the art work in the mod was done by 3-4 people who had no previous experience, and we barely used any outside content, which is where the four years went. We also had major restructuring done, and were working on more than one thing at once.
We'd like to welcome Med8r back to the team as a mapper, and The Farseer onto the team as a modeler/skinner/rigger. You can see some of Med8r's maps in the mod (Exocron, for example). You may know of Farseer's Rise of the Mandalorians mod. The new Chaf and Phalanx skins shown here are by him, the models and new designs are by Corey, with the basic Chaf shape being by Valiyn.
We're also in a resource sharing agreement with the mod Freeworlds: Tides of War for Freelancer. Both mods give each other resources, and some of us work on both mods as well. The E-Wing model has been donated by them, as has the Neutron Star Freighter model.
If you have any further complaints or suggestions that you think we should address in the future, please visit our forums ( Thrawn's Revenge - Index ).
-The Thrawn's Revenge Team
Just a quick update for those haven't been paing attention to our Moddb page. We've been updating our profile quite constantly with new pictures so you kight want to check those out. Also it's that time of the yaer for the Mod of the Year contest on Moddb. We would love to have your vote as well as we would hope you would vote for the other great EAW/FOC mods in the contest (you can vote for as many mods as you want).
Miy'til Bomber - New Miy'til Bomber for the Hapans. Model and skin by Farseer.
A9 Viligance - The final fighter model for the next version. An Imperial fighter for Daala. Model by Davis.
Plasma Mortar - The Plasma Mortar; a tank/mobile artillery for the Empire of the Hand. Model by Davis. Design by Sgt. Rho.
Defender Starfighter - A late-game New Republic Starfighter. One of the more popular requests,and it was featured in the Hand of Thrawn Duology. Model and Skin by Corey.
Phalanx Under Fire - The EotH Phalanx under attack from an Executor-class
Galactic Denon and GUI - Don't mind the [MISSING] text, we're trying to put something special there that we just haven't finished yet.
Galactic Travels - More corvettes visiting exotic locations.
Hapan Assault - An Imperial fleet attacking some Hapans
Imperial Fleet Approaching - A New Republic station being hammered by the Imperial Remnant
From the Darkness - Profile of the new Chaf
Close Call - A battle between the New Republic and Imperial Remnant
Victory Under Fire - A Victory SD under attack.
Galactic Travels - This brave little lancer continues its voyage across the galaxy.
Galactic Voyages - "Intrepid, the Little Lancer that Could!" continues its journey across the galaxy.
Imperial Might - The New Republic doesn't stand a chance.
Sorry for the double post guys. I had to split this in two.
New Galaxy -A new galaxy texture Enceladus has been playing with. May or may not be used, depending on how we feel about it later.
Battle Lines - The view from inside an Imperial Fleet.
Below the Fleet - Observing Destruction from Below
The New Republic Strikes Back - Showing those Imperials who's boss.
Concentrating Fire - The winner should be obvious.
The Power of the Empire - Who doesn't like Imperial Remnant glory shots?
I like that new galaxy texture it looks pretty amazing. Keep up the great work!
I take what n0e says way too seriously
25th April 2007
Quick question for you guys, or anyone else that can help? I am not very good at galatic conquest, more or less cuase I feel its always way to much going on at once and is impossible to manage (as it is, not to say this mod adds like 500 more planets aka, places to worry about haha) but that aside...
There are alot of amazing maps in this mod, is there any way to take some of the galactic conquest maps and turn them into single player/skirmish maps? Mostly the land maps?
PS- Looking forward to the patch, when will it be out?
We converted some of the GC maps for skirmish in the initial release and we do plan to do more. When that will happen depends on pretty much when Corey and I have free time to dedicate to converting maps. At the moment we are both busy at University as well as doing the work we need to get done for the 1.1 patch/version. I will try to get some done in the future, although they might not make it into the 1.1 version. The one barrier that slows down this conversion process is that a vast majority of the GC maps aren't exactly prime for skirmish maps due to their layouts. Alot of them don't exactly have what I would call a balanced layout. If they were converted directly to skirmish one team would have a fairly significant advantage on maps. This means that any maps we convert generally have to be modified to a varying degree to make them more suitable.
So yes we will do that. The question is more a when we will do it.
As for a patch date, most likely sometime between tomorrow and the year 3010.
Enceladus;5430087As for a patch date, most likely sometime between tomorrow and the year 3010.
Heh, Valve time ftw.
And very great mod guys, made me play EaW (after all those months of other games) again. :)
I take what n0e says way too seriously
25th April 2007
But, this is a great mod, and like I said, felt more like EAW 2 then a mod lol.
So keeping that in mind, there are lots of little things that need some help, and I am sad that the most powerful team is now the New Republic instead of the empire... ( i keep getting my ass handed to me as the Empire :lulz: ) but who knows, maybe im just a bad commander?
But the game as far more interresting to play, and you've done alot of amazing work! And with all that you have done, there is still so much more you can do (cuase you guys have the best team of people working on a mod) so im sure you could turn this game into pretty much anything you wanted!
-and I'm hoping the patch comes before 2063! After that I'm using warp drive and moving to vulcan! :smokin:
Thanks for all the votes, we truly appreciate them. Because of your efforts we are now on the Top 100 list. We would love it if you would take the time to vote for us again for the MOTY. (Also vote for all of your favourite mods because you can vote for as many mods as you want.)
Again, thank-you for all the support. We hope our mod will continue to please you in its future releases.
Also be sure to check out our ModDB profile for new pictures. I'm too lazy to put them al here. :p