ok well im new at mapping and i have a few quetions so if any one could answer them that would be great! 1. how do you make a clear shader like a for example a clear glass window 2. how do you make mirrors 3. how do you put weapons in maps, I put a waepon or a npc in the map then when i enter the map its not there is there some kind of clipping error or am i just doing it wrong? 4. how do i set it so a door is locked and i can only open it with a key? well if any one could answer these quetions of mine that would be great thank you for your time.
1. Try opening one already supplied by Ravensoft.
2. Get a mirror shader, apply it to a surface, and place a surface_misc_portal (I think it's that) 1 to 64 units away from the surface.
3. Make sure you haven't placed it inside a brush or anything.
4. I think this is done via scripting.
Some if these may be incorrect answers. If so, sorry.
8th October 2005
To answer #3, make sure you also have all weapons enabled. NPC spawners are a little awkward to deal with, so I can understand why they don't show up.
To answer #4, oh boy, do I know THAT one well. That's exactly what I worked on in a current project. I'm not going to announce the project or anything unless you ask, but it has the same basic principle. It's not too complicated - it just took a lot of brain power to come up with. I'll help you out a bit if you want it.
ok thx for the answers but now i have a few others that i thoght of 1. how do you make trees like on jk2 2.is there a way to make water the color of red? 3.how do i use prefabs 4.how do you make water falls the resson i need trees and water falls is because im making the resident evil mansion map for jk2 well if you could answer some of these questions to that would be nice
1. Tree's are done with models. Create a misc_model and browse for an appropriate modek.
2. Done in the water Shader file, I think.
3. If the prefabs are in a .map format, just place them in your base/maps/prefabs folder.
4. This is an effect. I can go no to explain effects, but I wont.
ok thank you for the answers but my last few questions are 1. how come when i put a misc_model down in the map it dosent show up in the game? 2.how do i make fire? 3.is there a way to make fog move like a mist effect?
1. I wouldn't have a clue, sorry.
2. With an effect, same as the waterfall.
3. Hmm...I'm not entirely sure. You could have it work like water does, but I don't know what it will look like.