Mikouen Advanced Member

What?

145,654 XP

4th September 2005

4 Uploads

11,732 Posts

2 Threads

#11 12 years ago

Nobody's fucking with you. We're saying that modelling takes practice, and if you're willing to stick with it, you'll get as much support and assistance from us as we can offer.

Simple fact is, there just aren't enough modders to go around any more. That's why requests rarely get answered - too few modellers with too little time on their hands.

Modelling is a lot simpler than it looks, actually, you just need to stick with it and learn the tools.

On the left, is my first model, with a random texture plastered over it. On the right, is my second model, a saber hilt I modelled last week, untextured. I tried again. I failed again. But I failed better.

gladiusfinal7vv.jpg orillionjq5.jpg

I also learned a lot in the process.

The moral of my story is that the more you try, the closer you'll get to being on the level of Inyri, HapSlash, Gir, etc.

The help is here, if you want it. All you gotta do is ask.

I don't know how, and I don't know why, but this is totally Sheep's fault.

Isla Kamamee

Awkward? You bet!

50 XP

28th August 2006

0 Uploads

1,179 Posts

0 Threads

#12 12 years ago

yes. Odds are that it wont get done unless you do it yourself. And also, it doesnt look overly complicated, as theres no muscles to be modeled or anything on most of the body, which is imo, the hardest part of making playermodels. At least getting the loops to follow the muscle structure is. After you do that, pulling them out is easy.

Pasha

mmeh?

50 XP

12th October 2007

0 Uploads

39 Posts

0 Threads

#13 12 years ago
Isla Kamamee;4181278yes. Odds are that it wont get done unless you do it yourself. And also, it doesnt look overly complicated, as theres no muscles to be modeled or anything on most of the body, which is imo, the hardest part of making playermodels. At least getting the loops to follow the muscle structure is. After you do that, pulling them out is easy.

Well I guess I'm going to try again after all :D. What do you recommend? XSI mod tool? I have tried it but pft it was complicated and I watched some tutorials too.. and still didn't get a heck of it :s

So now I'm asking if someone knows a very good tutorial for beginners, please post it here, that doesn't mean that I wouldn't be looking for tutorials myself..

Mikouen Advanced Member

What?

145,654 XP

4th September 2005

4 Uploads

11,732 Posts

2 Threads

#14 12 years ago

I'd personally recommend 3DS Max 7, but unless you got a couple of thousand bucks, that's outta the question. :uhm:

If you want to make player models for free, then there's only one piece of software available to you: XSI Mod Tools. Of course, you could make the model itself in Gmax or something, but you wouldn't be able to compile it for in-game usage, hence... XSI.

It's confusing at first, but mindblowingly straightforward once you get the hang of it. Every new program is like that. Just gotta learn the interface.

Eclypse is our resident XSI expert, but... I haven't seen 'im around in a while. :uhm:

I don't know how, and I don't know why, but this is totally Sheep's fault.

Kyross

Always there, always watching.

50 XP

18th January 2005

0 Uploads

856 Posts

0 Threads

#15 12 years ago

And I'd personally recommend XSI. It's just preference, you can try them both but either way the one you get comfortable is the one you work on. If you do decide to try xsi mod tools, this is the tutorial I used to start so long ago: Basic Modeling in XSI, Star Wars Battlefront 2 Downloads, Star Wars Battlefront 2 Tutorials With XSI geting more attention around here lately though I'm thinking of doing my own, more comprehensive tutorial on modelling and getting them ingame.

Pasha

mmeh?

50 XP

12th October 2007

0 Uploads

39 Posts

0 Threads

#16 12 years ago

I downloaded XSI mod tool, and this basics tutorial for it. Haven't yet watched it though, but thanks for your tips!