Odd Model/Skin Error Message -1 reply

Please wait...

JaedenRuiner

Crazy Coding SP Guy...

50 XP

27th December 2002

0 Uploads

168 Posts

0 Threads

#1 10 years ago

Okay,

I could go into the massive details but that would take WAY too much time to explain, so please bear with me, but here is the deal:

I've been working on a SP mod that utilizes some...additions to existing models, configuring them for SP play for use with the mod. I am so near completion it almost hurts, but I've come across a newer model, designed to work with the JKA skeleton, and I've configured some SP modification so that you can select this character in the Character Selection Menu of the SP game.

Anyway, this is the problem:

jedi_x/ jedi_x2/ original_x_model/ original_x2_model/

those are the directories in the models/players folder of the PK3, i naturally added the Jedi_x, and _x2 foldres, rewriting the skin scripts to work with the head_*, torso_*, and lower_* configuration. Now, ModView sees them all just fine. When i load JKA in SP and select that character i get these warnings:

WARNING: Couldn't find image for shader x.jpg

the funny thing is, the shader exists. In the past I have dealt with many models that were made with hard-coded shader textures within the model itself so even with the originally packaged model you would get some shader mapping errors. I fixed those by simply creating a "MyMod_Map.shader" which points the erroneous shader paths/names to the right location so everything is happy. However, with this model, there was not shader included, and all the skin scripts point to ACTUAL jpg images with the right paths and everything. To top it off, part of my mod works with the skins, and thus I could manually trigger in the menu system to set the appropriate UI_CHAR_SKIN_* cvars to the right skin values, and the model works fine. My question is simply, what would cause the character menu model engine to initially think the shader doesn't exist when in fact it does.

I'm not much of a modeler or a skinner, i'm a scripter and coder, so i'm a little confused when all the data says everything is accurate, and suddenly the game engine comes back saying the files don't exist.

Thanks for the help Jaeden "Sifo Dyas" al'Raec Ruiner

ps - for clarification, i debated listing this, but i figure for debugging purposes the model in question is Mars Marshall's MaulVM1.0 model.




=Someone=

MovieBattles II Modeler

50 XP

15th January 2008

0 Uploads

160 Posts

0 Threads

#2 10 years ago

JaedenRuiner;4394048the funny thing is, the shader exists.[/quote]

[quote=JaedenRuiner;4394048]However, with this model, there was not shader included

Contradicting, no? ;)

If the shader exists - which must be the case seeing the error message you get - you simply need to point it to the right folder to find it's textures. I'd guess you must've changed the folders somewhere around when you split the .skin-file up into head, torso and lower.

On a sidenote: There are no hard-coded shaders for models. No matter which engine, shaders are always purely engine-related, noone "hard-codes" them into a model - you can't actually do that.




CrashmanX

lol, I have my own Status

50 XP

5th March 2007

0 Uploads

1,092 Posts

0 Threads

#3 10 years ago

Well you could it would just Take FOREVER and be pointless. ANYWAYS you've got your Dirctories wrong Jaden. Ive tried this make sure that all 3 pieces it goes to have the shader in the .skin file (a direction to it)




JaedenRuiner

Crazy Coding SP Guy...

50 XP

27th December 2002

0 Uploads

168 Posts

0 Threads

#4 10 years ago

First: I always disliked that .Shader file and the concept of a "Shader" which could mean the elements depicted within a .shader file, the shader file itself, or the actual jpg/tga whatever. it seems you say "Shader" and 5 different possible meanings pop up. What I had meant was there was no ".shader" file with the model, but there were .jpg files included, and the skin scripts DID point directly to the appropriate .jpg files as there was no .shader file to reference. (perfect example is the Shadowtrooper, where there is a skin shader reference to "cloaktorso" but there is no cloaktorso.jpg file, it is a shader, but in the default skin there is a torso.jpg but no torso shader, etc, etc, etc)

The point is moot: The issue was that infernal playerchoice.txt which did not exist in the jedi_dm folder, and when i put it in there, voila the whole thing worked. Oops.

Jaeden "Sifo Dyas" al'Raec Ruiner