ive been busy with GoldenEye and the graveyard, but back to rainbow road from mario kart 64, ive fixed the shader on this map as well, but im putting a very early rebuild that still 80% original that i made back in 07, five years ago,the original was 15 years ago so an anniversary is in order, first off lets compare 1997: 2007: 2011/2012: Download Rainbow Road N64 early rebuild: [COLOR=red]rainbowroad.pk3[/COLOR] The reason im doing this is for feed back purposes, the textures are new, the star rail I made personally using macromedia flash mx, a glow shader was added to the road, and the classic N64 neon lights were added on the first bend in glorious HD remake. what I would like is for anyone whom tests drives it, to tell me what they think of the progress thus far, in my opinion the difference is like night and day now :p
Another feature in this version will be an attempt at adding the Chomps that roam the track, hopefully will either push you out of the way or see if I can make them launch a player into the air, the map is my largest map overall to date, to race it as is, takes roughly 6 minutes for 3 laps, almost the same as the original Mario kart 64 track. I cant make it 100% true to the original, but I will do my best to make it as close as possible artistically
I highlighted the download in red, it is a very early rebuild showing from starting line to the first large bend with Neon lights, then the overpass without the star railing then a gap (which can be jumped with boost) back to the 2007 first version I made, however is there any more input I should do, eg, should I remake the rainbow texture as a TGA with alpha so the course is semi transparent?
I'm going to comment on the seemingly finished portion of the track before the jump and not bother with the after as it is both very annoying to get to and to race on (due to the bumps catching the swoops). I have not played your original version.
1) I cannot make that jump :/ Boosting or not I either cannot get high enough or long enough, please make it easier.
2) Overall the visuals are nice, I like the floating heads and the star barriers seemed fine.
3) At several points there are very obvious texture seams, breaking the otherwise smooth rainbow effect
4) It could do with a lot more detail to smooth out the corners (having not played the original I cannot say how they were in the N64 version)
5) Falling off is a bitch, make it so instead of death and restart you are teleported to a nearby part of the track and make it spawn a swoop upon you spawning (if the teleport doesnt teleport your swoop too). Set it far back along the track if you like to give a penalty for falling but restarting is more than a little harsh.
Yeah I just noticed that, I gotta fix the texture issue, the original was smoother tbh, but all those levels were modeled, and im still working on a possible teleport sector system, so if you fall off you'll be placed on the track again, the falling portion is still original so ive gotta fix a few things still, I plan to flesh out the texture on the road more using patches etc so far my priority has been the physical layout, the 2007 version has the basic layout im basicly going to follow this and smooth it out and make it less lego blocks Download: only minor fixes, railing repaired, and course no longer needs a jump from new secton to the 2007 section [COLOR=red]http://www.mediafire.com/?8yns9cg3sfcsb39[/COLOR]