since our 3D-GET modding team got together again, I'm reworking my last unfinisched map with other techniqes. Details and more screenshots see my blog: Working on new map for our addon… | Arth's Mapping Blog
Any constructive comments would be fine ;)
Hm, I think the trees need to have some random rotation on them, I could be wrong but it looks like they're all rotated the same way, their leaves should also be angled down a bit imo, I know some pine trees stick out almost straight like that but I think with some variety it could spice up the map a bit. I also think you should throw in some rocks/boulders. maybe even a little snow?
Also not knowing easygen (which I assumed you used) I also think you should add a net work of caves... then again I have no idea what the purpose of the map is so I'm just suggesting random things for a mountain-esque area.
Really digging the mood of the lightning there. Really awesome, the skybox compliments it too. I think the contrast of the trees is a bit distracting. I'd also suggest a different texture for the walkway. Something with a smaller pattern, or perhaps cleaner (e.g. two rows of squares that fit the width nicely)
I've heard about the 3D-GET from Wonko. Good luck =]
What Razor said. The lighting really does look great, with all the shadows from the trees and everything. But that texture on the walkway does look a bit weird.
Maybe u would like to add a trail or a road inside the forest shown in "shot0053" and u might also want to add some more trees to cover some terrains
Thy for the comments, the textures were drafts, also the models.
I reworked it a bit, but now I have the "safe_malloc failed on allocation of 207618048 bytes" error and not one of the known tricks works. :(
The mystery thing is, I did not change anything to the map structure or lights, just replaced the textures and reworked the tree models, which are lighted vertex only.
No idea, what's wrong ...
Any tips would be nice.
safe_malloc sucks... I wish you could clear up the memory and continue the compile.
Basically really big, complex maps end up requiring a lot of memory, thus when you run out of memory it gets an error. Use Q3Map2 GUI instead of GTK Radiant to compile, don't have anything open in the background, and uh, there's one trick Pande found, he uses a program called memory cleaner and every few moments he'll trim the processes' working set and clear the system cache, neat little trick.
Hope this helps.
Silverfang22;5561295Use Q3Map2 GUI instead of GTK Radiant to compile, don't have anything open in the background, and uh, there's one trick Pande found, he uses a program called memory cleaner and every few moments he'll trim the processes' working set and clear the system cache, neat little trick.
Uhm... He wrote Q3Map2 GUI, so I guess he uses it. ;)
Pretty sure it's the models. I guess I should give a 64 bit Q3Map2 version a shot. (As in: make one)
Yeah, I'm using q3map2GUI, since I wrote the first usable version with automated log-check ;)
About "safe_malloc...", It looks like the modified models caused the error.
It seems, it's a bug in q3map2. Because, I still had about 1,5 gigabyte free physical memory and had this error.
It think, it's q3map2 internal problem with memory reservation and huge levels. This engine was not build to handle that big maps.
I had to simplify the models once more.
Reworked the textures a bit and added more "chaos" to the tree-structure, for more realistic look.
Mr. Wonko;5561889Uhm... He wrote Q3Map2 GUI, so I guess he uses it. ;)
Well I feel stupid now...
Anyway the map is looking great, can't wait to see a better light compile to go with it :o