Hey guys, apologies again for the delay! Like I said in the recent announcement I had hoped to get this started in July, as obviously some people will be going back to school in September, but alas due to be being busy with a few other things that didn’t work out, so sorry for that! Anyway, now it is time for the details, the rules and other such things! Please read the information below carefully, as it is very important.
- The map must be created by the entrant. You may only submit your own work!
- You must follow the JKFiles submission guidelines as normal.
- Please do not use models or textures ported from other games.
- Your map MUST be a Small/Medium sized FFA map, for obvious time and practicality reasons.
- Your map can be for either Jedi Academy or Jedi Outcast.
- You MUST include [CONTEST] before your maps name in the name section when submitting your entry, to avoid confusion and possible accidental disqualification, since we may upload your map thinking it is a normal submission.
- Please be sure to tell us in the file description section what skill category you are entering in. It is up to you to decide which category you want your map to be entered in; Beginner, Intermediate or Advanced (details for these categories can be found below). If you do not tell us which category you are entering in, we will choose a category for you based on your apparent mapping skill, so don’t forget to make sure you tell us!
Please be aware however (as in previous contests) if there are not enough entries to use the 'skill category' method, all submissions will be grouped together, and the staff will pick the three best maps to be voted on!
- The theme for this contest is The Planets of Our Solar System. That said, you are not limited to just the main 9 planets (8 if you listen to scientists and consider Pluto a 'dwarf' pfft...) you are free to use other bodies in our Solar System as locations, such as dwarf planets/Kuiper Belt objects such as Eris and Sedna, asteroids, moons of any of the planets or even space stations orbiting the said planets (or the sun) should you so wish!
- If you need any info or inspiration, Google or Wikipedia are excellent sources of photographs from space probes and landers as well as lists of bodies in our Solar System and information on them!
- In the interests of fairness and continuity, if you wish to make a space station orbiting a planet you must include the planet in your skybox, otherwise said space station could be considered to be anywhere!
- You may include the source files (.map etc.) in your .zip file if you so wish, however these will be uploaded along with your map if you choose to include them in your .zip file, so please think carefully before you decide whether to include them!
- The files will only be posted after the contest deadline, and will only have a brief summary rather than a review to avoid biasing the voters. All maps will be fully re-reviewed once the contest has finished.
- The tentative length for the contest is until late September, although there is a possibility for a time extension if necessary. More info on the exact deadline will come as we see how many entries are being made and the contest is progressing, but think somewhere in the region of 6/7/8 weeks.
- Information on the voting procedure and how the finalists will be picked will be released nearer to the deadline of the contest.
- If you need any help or have any questions, don’t forget to check out our JKA Mapping and Modding Forums, or send me a PM via the forums (as we still have not gotten our new Site Email Address yet!)
Not sure what skill category to submit your maps in? Here is some information on each skill category to help you decide which one best suits your current skill level. Please note that in the interests of fairness, if you try to submit your map in a category that is below what is obviously your level of skill (an Intermediate mapper submitting in the Beginner Category for example) your map will be placed in the category that we judge to be the correct one for you to avoid any ‘cheating’. Beginner The Beginner category is for those who have a low/moderate understanding of Radiant and its functions, and basic architectural skills. First-time mappers and those who haven't used Radiant for some time are best suited for this category. NOTE: Only Base JKA resources may be used in the beginner category. Any submissions containing custom resources will be bumped up to the Intermediate category, regardless of map quality. Intermediate The Intermediate category is for those who have a good knowledge of how to use Radiant and its tools. They can create to some extent what they see in their imagination, but have not yet gained the finesse displayed by the more advanced mappers. Intermediate mappers should be proficient in the usage of Radiant and it's functions, and should have good design skills as well as strong architectural technique. Maps created by Intermediate mappers generally strike a balance between playability and aesthetics. Advanced Advanced mappers have an impressive understanding of Radiant, what functions are available, and how they can be utilised to their full potential. Their design and architecture skills are at a level all mappers aspire to reach. Advanced mappers push the engine as far as they can, and have the ability to create what they see in their minds-eye with finesse and detail. Mappers at the Advanced level often create their own textures, shaders and map-objects, although some prefer the challenge of working with what's already provided. Advanced level maps look great visually with lots of detail crammed in and have an excellent atmosphere. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Well that should just about cover everything. If you have any questions, don’t forget to comment in the forums or send me a PM via the forums and I will try and answer any questions you have! Also, dont forget to stay tuned to the JKFiles site for updates! Good luck with your mapping and we look forward to seeing all of your contest entries! :) Nozyspy JKFiles Manager
Sorry, but if you're map is impractical for serious gaming, you're a failed mapper, not an advanced one.
Fair enough, removed. :)
Any word on a deadline yet?
[SIZE="5"][COLOR="Red"]Deadline for the contest is Friday 14th of October, as voted for on JKFiles![/COLOR][/SIZE]
I'll definitely not finish my map on time, real life got in the way, so good luck to the others! I might release mine after the contest.
DuketheLuke;5571235I'll definitely not finish my map on time, real life got in the way, so good luck to the others! I might release mine after the contest.
Same here. :(