Hey guys, as I announced a few days ago, our Sith Hilt Themed Modelling Contest starts now! First of allthe details, the rules and other such things! Please read the information below carefully, as it is very important. And remember, the contest is Sith Themed!
- Your entry must be Sith Themed. However, if you want to create a Sith Sword instead of a Sith Lightsaber you may do so!
- The Hilt must be created by the entrant. You may only submit your own work!
- You must follow the JKFiles submission guidelines as normal.
- Please do not use model(s) or texture(s) ported from other games to make your hilt.
- You MUST include [CONTEST] before your Hilt's name in the name section when submitting your entry, to avoid confusion and possible accidental disqualification, since we may upload your Hilt thinking it is a normal submission.
- While we are still not sure whether we will get enough entrants to have proper skill categories, please be sure to tell us in the file description section what skill level you believe yourself to be anyway. It is up to you to decide which category you think your skill level matches; Beginner, Intermediate or Advanced (details for these categories can be found below). If you do not tell us which category you wish to put yourself in, we will choose a category for you based on your apparent modelling skill, so don’t forget to make sure you tell us!
- The theme for this contest is the Sith. Whether you want to make a Sith Lightsaber or a Sith Sword is up to you, since really they are both classified as 'hilts' and this also allows some more artistic freedom!
- The files will only be posted after the contest deadline, and will only have a brief summary rather than a review to avoid biasing the voters. All submissions will be fully re-reviewed once the contest has finished.
- The contest will last for around 2 weeks, the deadline for entries is Monday 22nd November, although there is a possibility for a small time extension if necessary.
- Information on the voting procedure and how the finalists will be picked will be released nearer to the deadline of the contest.
- If you need any help or have any questions, don’t forget to check out our JKA Modding Forums! Unfortunately however, our site email account is not working at the moment.
First of all I must point out that we haven’t decided for definite yet if we will use skill categories, as we are unsure if we will get enough entries to use this method. Please still say what skill level you wish to be in with your submission however, in case we get enough entries to properly use the skill level method! If we do not get enough entries to use this method, then the staff will pick the three hilts that we believe to be the most unique, interesting or skilfully made (not necessarily just the best looking) and allow the community to vote on those! Not sure what skill category to pick? Here is some information on each skill category to help you decide which one best suits your current skill level. Please note that in the interests of fairness, if you say that you are in a skill level that is below what is obviously your level of skill (an Intermediate Skill Level modeller submitting in the Beginner Category for example) your hilt submission will be placed in the category that we judge to be the correct one for you to avoid any ‘cheating’.
The Beginner category is for those who have a low/moderate understanding of modelling, or may only have started recently.
The Intermediate category is for those who have a good knowledge of how to use modelling programs to create their hilts and also how to use custom textures to make their creations look even better.
The advanced category is for people who have a very good knowledge of how to use their chosen modelling program in conjunction with custom textures, shaders, sounds and other resources to create truly unique and stunning hilts. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Well that should just about cover everything. If you have any questions, don’t forget to comment in the forums and we will try and answer any questions you have! (As I mentioned earlier unfortunately our site email account is not working at the moment, so we cant be contacted through those means. Apologies for any inconvenience!) Good luck with your modelling and we look forward to seeing all of your contest entries! :) Nozyspy JKFiles Manager
Good luck, have some fun =]
Nice to see some contests going again.
Mhm. Be Great If we have another mapping one soon.
I R Scary Eyeball
16th October 2006
How do you plan on judging hilt models? Would I be marked down for making a very detailed model when most of it is usually going to be hidden by the hand, for instance?
Yeah, but looks like cool when noone holds it :) I don't think you must make a hilt, where you should make the place of the hand semicolor :D
About damned time you started this. /rant
However, I am interested to see what turns up.
Hopefully this encourages some more people to try modeling. Plenty of tutorials, especially for sabers.
I R Scary Eyeball
16th October 2006
Oh, and one other point:
Are multiple recolors of a hilt model allowed? Different colored details for different blade colors, for example.
Can I upload more than one entry?
You should make it more like polycounts contests, have a poly limit based on the game engine, I'd say no more than 500 verts and all weapons must be a single object. Whoever can make the most of that wins more in the eyes of any modeler than someone who goes nuts with polies.