Oi, long time no see.
ATI HD 4870 Windows 7 Professional (64-bit)
Been trying to get JK3 to run today.
Had Cata 10.6 from the beginning, standard "encountered a problem, closed".
Updated to Cata 10.12. Still the same issue.
Tried with Cata 10.4 expanded ddl, I got GLW_StartOpenGL() - could not load OpenGL.
Eventually, I just followed xdarksykesx's fix (above), and it now seems to run fine.
Read the post directly above you. Download the Catalyst 11.1a hotfix drivers.
AMD Catalyst™ 11.1a hotfix for AMD Radeon™ HD 6900 and AMD Radeon HD 6800 series graphics cards installed in a Windows 7 based system
Last Updated 1/26/2011 Article Number GPU-96
AMD Catalyst™ Driver 11.1a Hotfix Features:
- Performance improvements for AMD Radeon™ HD 6900 & AMD Radeon HD 6800 series graphics cards
- AMD Catalyst Control Center – New Tessellation controls
- Gives users control over the tessellation levels used in applications
- AMD Catalyst AI Texture Filtering updates
- The High Quality setting remains unchanged: This setting provides reference quality filtering from AMD hardware
- The Quality setting now matches the High Quality setting in all respects but one: it enables an optimization that limits tri-linear anisotropic filtering to areas surrounding texture mipmap level transitions, while doing bilinear anisotropic filtering elsewhere. This optimization offers a way to adjust filtering performance without visibly affecting image quality
- The Performance setting has also been updated. It now provides a smooth filtering option that is designed to eliminate most shimmering while preserving the detail provided by anisotropic filtering.
Just ignore what it says about the hotfix being for 6xxx series Radeon cards, it's been working marvelously on an HD 5850.
I'm running the latest version of the drivers available to me, that is, the version that claims to be 11.1, but still shows up as 10.12 in the CCC.
File name is 11-1_vista64_win7_64_dd_ccc_ocl, posted on 1/26/2011.
I gave your link a shot. At first, it failed, but then claimed to have successfully installed. Game still won't run unless exe is named quake3.
Suppose the fix isn't meant to work for us oldies on HD 4870. D:
I'm getting the feeling that the drivers aren't updating correctly though.
Some people have said that they simply installed right after uninstalling previous drivers, but I'd be safe and say follow the full procedure -
1) Uninstall current Catalyst drivers 2) Restart computer 3) Install Catalyst 11.1a hotfix drivers 4) Restart computer
If they work as they should they you should be able to start Jedi Academy up with no problems.