bigbadE

Slightly cooler than a n00b

50 XP

6th May 2008

0 Uploads

32 Posts

0 Threads

#1 10 years ago

i just got back into JA after a break and I've DLed a couple models that support NPC for npc spawning stuff and when I try to boot up a new game it tells me "Ran out of space before reading "npc name" You must make the .npc files smaller."

This has probably been posted a bajillion times but I really dont know what to do

thanks

Speer

GF's Cheerios Expert

50 XP

16th January 2008

0 Uploads

2,082 Posts

0 Threads

#2 10 years ago

Not quite sure what you mean, maybe the NPC name is too long?

-Try reinstalling

-Try downloading the Patch

Dunno what you mean though...

MagnaDoodle

Fear teh kittens!!!

50 XP

26th February 2008

0 Uploads

104 Posts

0 Threads

#3 10 years ago

I think one of this models/NPCs u downloaded may be the problem as the error is related to a NPC script. Take them out of base and try if the game works now. If so u may put them back piece by piece and try out which are working and which not.

bigbadE

Slightly cooler than a n00b

50 XP

6th May 2008

0 Uploads

32 Posts

0 Threads

#4 10 years ago

hmm well I took out some big ass yoda NPC and now It works..

So as far as you guys know there's no real limit to how many Models/NPCs/skins you can have in the base folder?

thanks for the replies

SiLink

(JAWA) Leader

50 XP

13th February 2005

0 Uploads

1,663 Posts

0 Threads

#5 10 years ago

I don't think theres a limit, if there is I've never hit the limit and I've had a lot of models and NPCs in my base folder.

I didn't make it!

0 XP

#6 10 years ago

Well , there is no real limit , but having too many models and / or skins in your "Base" folder isn`t such a good idea , especially if they have NPC support. You see , when you start the game , it automatically loads all models and skins which consumes RAM and prolonges loading time. NPCs might not even spawn if you have too many of them. Best thing to do is to keep in your "Base" folder only those models / skins that you often use / need.

MagnaDoodle

Fear teh kittens!!!

50 XP

26th February 2008

0 Uploads

104 Posts

0 Threads

#7 10 years ago

I also got the idea that 2 PK3s may interfere with each other as they are using identical filenames for some scripts, npc names or whatever inside the PK3s (???). I saw similar effects on maps using identical shader names...

Mikouen VIP Member

What?

145,602 XP

4th September 2005

4 Uploads

11,730 Posts

2 Threads

#8 10 years ago

In that case, the latter pk3 takes effect as an 'override'. C5.pk3 will load in lieu of C4.pk3, for example, if the contents are identical.

I don't know how, and I don't know why, but this is totally Sheep's fault.