Okay, not sure at all what's going on with this.. I have Windows 7, because my XP finally broke and father decided to put Windows 7 on here..
When I try debugging with Visual Studio (Professional edition), I can get to the menu, and my FPS is something like 80.. Then, when I try and connect/devmap, it loads the cgame module (So it's still at the 'Awaiting gamestate...' or whatever) and then completely freezes. The console, main game window, and Visual Studio just completely lock up. I have to end the processes through Task Manager.
However... When I run jamp.exe by itself, my FPS in the menu is about 6, I can connect/devmap without a problem, and my FPS in-game is about 60.
This all happens on every modification (So it's not code-related) I've tried every variation of compatibility mode, desktop composition, etc on both jamp.exe and devenv.exe Also, I can debug other applications perfectly.
Anybody got any kind of idea what's going on with this?
18th September 2008
Like always windows is a pain with backwards compatibility.
Now when you mean debug other applications perfectly are you referring to anything relatively new(since Vista) or are you referring to anything older then XP.
I mean custom applications, like an encryption algorithm i'm working on. It was to prove the debugger itself works.
Resident programmer guy
3rd May 2016
I'm guessing you've already thought of this, but maybe it's a driver issue? Try updating your graphics drivers.
Already updated - I can run fine without debugging, but attaching to the process or setting up the debugger will halt everything when it loads cgame on any mod.
8th November 2005
Did you talk to bobafett about it Raz0r?
Not yet, but I spoke to Deathspike and he was baffled..
Some more insight; My linker was crashing repeatedly earlier o_O
EDIT 1: Ok, so this hotfix stopped my linker crashes. I cleaned my solution again and could finally do a clean build on the first try..
But, I still can't debug JA!
EDIT 2: It appears when I press F12 while JA has focus, it takes about 20 seconds, but it still triggers a breakpoint - The call stack tells me it's in ntdll.dll!774a3540()
I was testing with a few hooks earlier (Called from an auxiliary library loaded on UI_Init, and also some hooks in CG_Init). I disabled these hooks, and it made absolutely no difference. (By hooks, I mean, hooking into jamp.exe through inline assembly)
Compiling and debugging simple applications is no trouble at all. Loading uix86.dll, auxx86.dll and jampgamex86.dll is no trouble. It doesn't appear to be code-related, because all of this works fine on Windows XP, Vista, and Ubuntu (That's all I'd tested on) The culprit seems to be cgamex86.dll, but I don't know why..
EDIT 3: Uh, it seems to be getting stuck in trap_G2API_InitGhoul2Model trying to initialise the jetpack model...I believe it was doing something with the jetpack model in va that caused a halt too...hmm Going to try this on the vanilla SDK in a bit o.o
EDIT 4: Okay, kinda freaky..It appears installing the 1.01 patch again has fixed it. Maybe Windows 7 does some behind-the-scenes stuff whilst installing...But yeah, installing the patch again appears to have fixed it.