Does anyone know anything about the Tau caste system and how it is layed out? And if it is similar to the caste system used by the Hindu religion?
17th May 2006
fire=milatary water=govermet earth=builders and i think im missing somthing
I would die without GF
8th October 2006
Air do transport, air exploration, and general space transport and stuff - everything involving flight and spaceships.
Fire = Military (Prefix: Shas) Earth = Building, construction and research Water = Diplomats, merchants, polititions (also carry forth the words of the Greater Good, caused an Imperial Heresy on the Eastern Fringe approx. M39 this is one of many things that caused the Damocles Crusade) Air = Escorts, transport, battleships. Equivelant to the Imperial Navy. Ethereal = Mysterious caste, origins unknown even to the Tau (Prefix: Aun)
- Fire (Shas) -- The Fire Caste are the military of the Tau Empire. It is their duty to defend the other castes, and as such are the Tau most often used in the tabletop game. They are slightly shorter than, but as broad as, a human. They have relatively large muscles compared with the rest of the castes, an evolved trait from their time as hunters on the Tau homeworld. Fire caste Tau are motivated by a code of honor, and prefer to use careful maneuvering and their advanced weaponry to defeat opponents rather than brute force.
- Earth (Fio) -- The Earth Caste is primarily made up of farmers, labourers, and technicians; responsible for building the machines, cultivating the food, and erecting the dwellings that allow the Tau to survive. The Earth caste also includes artisans, scientists, and engineers. Members of the Earth caste are stout of build, and tend to have calloused hands and a pragmatic outlook on life.
- Water (Por) -- The Water Caste is made up of merchants, diplomats, and administrators. They are responsible for maintaining effective interaction between the castes, as well as communicating with and supervising the integration of alien species into the Tau Empire. Members of the Water Caste tend to be taller and slender than other Tau, and their features are softer and more expressive. Water caste Tau will frequently adopt mannerisms and cultural habits of the races they deal with, although this is often done to promote communication with other races.
- Air (Kor) -- The Air Caste of the Tau traditionally functioned as messengers, but now fill the ranks of the Tau Navy (Kor'vattra), working as pilots and starship crews. The Air caste lives almost entirely off-world, and as such have developed long, slender limbs, but possess a skeletal and muscular structure of reduced strength. Prior to the unification of the Tau castes, the Air caste were said to possess membranous wings, allowing them to glide on warm aircurrents.
- Ethereal (Aun) -- Aun is translated as either Ethereal or Celestial, and describes the mysterious Tau subspecies that ended the intertribal warfare of the Tau and established the doctrine of the Greater Good. The Ethereals are the leaders of the Tau, and appear to combine the roles of priesthood and royalty in Tau society. Ethereals resemble the Fire and Water Castes in build, but are marked by a diamond-shaped ridge of raised bone in the centre of their foreheads. Ethereals are obeyed without question by the other castes, and the Imperium suspects that this control is the result of a latent psychic or pheromone-based power.
The Tau have many ways of addressing each other. To the Tau, the most important part of their name is the caste that they are born into and this forms the first portion of their identity. With the caste of a Tau established, the second portion of the name refers to their rank within society; there is no stigma attached to any rank or profession- each Tau has his or her place in society, and enjoys the respect of their peers no matter how menial the tasks that they perform. Each role is recognized as being part of the greater whole and a furtherance of the common good. There are five major levels of Tau rank, each of which has a subtly different meaning dependent on the caste to which it is suffixed. In ascending order of seniority, these ranks (and loose translations) are as follows:
- 'Saal = Cadet
- 'La = Warrior
- 'Ui = Veteran
- 'Vre = Hero
- 'El = Knight or Noble
- 'O = Commander
Following the Tau's caste and rank is his planet of birth, and then his given name(s). So, for example, the famous Tau general Commander Farsight's full name is properly rendered thus: Shas'O Vior'la Shovah Kais Mont'yr (Fire caste commander from planet Vior'la with the given names 'Farsight Skilled Blooded'), although it is frequently shortened to simply O'Shovah ("Commander Farsight"). There are also similar name constructions for certain buildings, such as Aun'bork'an'retha (an Ethereal Caste shrine/university on Bork'an) and run'al (a static observation post).
Awesome, thanks guys. This is actually for a school project on caste systems. ill tell you guys what grade i get once i get it back.
The Carbon Comrade
14th July 2004
Table Top & Hobby Discussion :moved:
hey guys, i got an A. Thanks again!
All Praise To Tux!!!
16th January 2006
cool, well done:cheers::rofl::nodding:
For the Emperor! Knights of Caliban!
16th March 2004
so wait you did caste system on the Tau for a skool project? uh okay...
[color=#000000][size=2][b][i]Heralds of the coming doom, Like the cry of the Raven, we are drawn, This oath of war and vengeance, On a blade of exalted iron sworn, With blood anointed swords