DarkKrucifix7

Geek on the Internets

50 XP

26th February 2007

0 Uploads

568 Posts

0 Threads

#1 10 years ago

[COLOR=Black]**Note: I put this here to hopefully get more views, an admin is free to move this if they deem it so.**[/COLOR]

Well, my 360 is going south pretty fast. Thankfully it is still under warranty under Best Buy.

Is there a way to get my old information to a new HDD, since I might get a new Hard Drive?

Mastershroom VIP Member

Frag Out!

153,685 XP

18th November 2004

0 Uploads

14,196 Posts

0 Threads

#2 10 years ago

Assuming you're going to be moving data from the 20GB hard drive to another 20GB, or a 120GB, they have a one-time transfer kit:

Xbox.com | System Use - Xbox 360 Hard-Drive Transfer Kit

According to the order form, it's apparently free, you just provide your console serial number. Looks like you're in luck.

Alternatively, you could use a memory card to transfer stuff over a little bit at a time. Transfer from the old hard drive to the memory card, plug in the new hard drive, transfer back, repeat.

DarkKrucifix7

Geek on the Internets

50 XP

26th February 2007

0 Uploads

568 Posts

0 Threads

#3 10 years ago

Thing is, I have to send the broken 360 back FIRST before i can get a new one....so there is not option of backing up onto an external or something?

Mastershroom VIP Member

Frag Out!

153,685 XP

18th November 2004

0 Uploads

14,196 Posts

0 Threads

#4 10 years ago

So you won't be having both hard drives at the same time...hmm.

Talk to your friends, see if any of them have a 20GB hard drive they might be willing to part with for a few days, and if they don't mind losing their save games. If you can do that, you can use the transfer kit to put your data on your friend's hard drive. This will erase everything that they had on it before, so they'll lose save games and downloaded content, but DLC can be re-downloaded later. Then, when you get your Xbox back with the new hard drive, you can transfer your data back from your friend's hard drive to your new one.

What kind of data are you trying to back up, and how much? If it's just save games, you can fit those onto a memory card and restore them to your new hard drive when you get it.

kow_ciller

Gettin' hardware chilly

50 XP

16th June 2004

0 Uploads

5,787 Posts

0 Threads

#5 10 years ago

Cant you just return the xbox without the hard drive and get one without a drive?

Bs|Archaon

I would die without GF

50 XP

15th March 2006

0 Uploads

5,910 Posts

0 Threads

#6 10 years ago
kow_ciller;4797428Cant you just return the xbox without the hard drive and get one without a drive?

Yep, this is normal as far as I'm aware? Just like how you wouldn't normally send back your controller or cables my friends that have had to return their 360 havn't had to send back their drive unless it's the drive that's actually failed.

DarkKrucifix7

Geek on the Internets

50 XP

26th February 2007

0 Uploads

568 Posts

0 Threads

#7 10 years ago
kow_ciller;4797428Cant you just return the xbox without the hard drive and get one without a drive?

The "Product Replacement" plan requires ALL accessories that came with the 360...

I know, I asked if i could keep it.

Mastershroom VIP Member

Frag Out!

153,685 XP

18th November 2004

0 Uploads

14,196 Posts

0 Threads

#8 10 years ago

I see. So, what are you trying to back up? If it's downloaded content like map packs or anything that you had to buy, you can just re-download them from the Marketplace when you get your new hard drive. If it's save games, you can transfer those with the memory card.

DarkKrucifix7

Geek on the Internets

50 XP

26th February 2007

0 Uploads

568 Posts

0 Threads

#9 10 years ago
Zamamee;4797547I see. So, what are you trying to back up? If it's downloaded content like map packs or anything that you had to buy, you can just re-download them from the Marketplace when you get your new hard drive. If it's save games, you can transfer those with the memory card.

I'll most likely have to try this, thanks Zamamee

Mastershroom VIP Member

Frag Out!

153,685 XP

18th November 2004

0 Uploads

14,196 Posts

0 Threads

#10 10 years ago

Glad to help.