N88TR

Old school pimp

50 XP

10th February 2004

0 Uploads

9,921 Posts

0 Threads

#1 12 years ago

I have an Antec PSU that is labeled up to "430 Watts" of power. I'm going to buy a new gfx card and it says it needs atleast 400 watts, am I cutting it too close? I know it's like any other piece of hardware, it get mis-represented in terms of power. I was on Newegg checking prices and some of the reviewers said it needed more than 400 Watts, some said they used 500, other 550.

Also, the manufacturers said in the gfx card's description that it "may not fit all AGP motherboards." How do I know if I have a capable one or not? I'll visit the gfx card's site to see if they shed any light on this...

MG42Maniac

A man of dubious moral fibre

50 XP

28th May 2003

0 Uploads

3,932 Posts

0 Threads

#2 12 years ago

What card are you getting, and what model is the PSU?

The Contender

no, i am not a girl,but thanks

50 XP

30th January 2005

0 Uploads

917 Posts

0 Threads

#3 12 years ago
Captain AmerikaI have an Antec PSU that is labeled up to "430 Watts" of power. I'm going to buy a new gfx card and it says it needs atleast 400 watts, am I cutting it too close? I know it's like any other piece of hardware, it get mis-represented in terms of power.

most full systems actually only need about 200 actuall watts so wattage now adays is not as important as amperage per rail. antecs are really good in that they usually have 2 or more power rails, wich means less chance in drop of constant amps. check your cards amp needs and reference to the amps being put out by the conectors. you want the psu to put out about 2 or 3 amps above what your card needs

C38368

...burning angel wings to dust

50 XP

14th February 2004

0 Uploads

5,013 Posts

0 Threads

#4 12 years ago

No you're not...

...as long as you don't get a unit that QA forgot to QA.

Or unless you have a very power-hungry set of graphics cards and/or processors.