4870 Temperature 54 replies

Please wait...

I didn't make it!

0 XP

#41 9 years ago
kow_ciller;4914574 But make sure to NOT touch the pads that touch the vmem/vregs or they dont work as well due to sweat messing with the rubber-like compound.

I hate to be a pain, but by saying sweat, did you mean grease/oil?

*The.Doctor

Trust me, I'm a Doctor

102,440 XP

25th November 2003

0 Uploads

9,964 Posts

0 Threads

#42 9 years ago

Touching those pads is not really that big of a deal. That crap they use is pretty durable. Hell, if one tears or falls apart you can just mash it back together and it will still work well enough. Sure it won't work as well as a new, but it will still be good enough. If you don't want to worry about getting oil off your fingers on them, just stretch a little piece of plastic wrap around your finger first.

Speaking of 4870 temps, does anybody else have a really high temp for "MEMIO" (use GPU-Z to see it) compared to the other temps? At full load with ATI Tool i get about 64-66C max on the display temp, and about the same for the shader core, but the MEMIO temp is way up at 88-89C. I've done some googling about it and can't find any clear info on that. I was wondering it this might be the reason my VRAM won't budge at all over 1000.

Mr. Pedantic

I would die without GF

234,620 XP

8th October 2006

0 Uploads

23,127 Posts

0 Threads

#43 9 years ago

Nope. With rthdribl I get about 55 for MEMIO and about 49 for the others.

kow_ciller

Gettin' hardware chilly

50 XP

16th June 2004

0 Uploads

5,787 Posts

0 Threads

#44 9 years ago

Dr-- Your gpu most likely doesn't have sinks on the memory which can be a big reason why you cant push it more. Might want to buy some low-profile ramsinks and throw them on there.

And yes, the HR-03 GT is the sink to get along with a 120mm fan and some zip-ties. Also, to compnerd, I was talking about AMD paste so what does an intel chip have to do with anything? Everyone knows that intel uses horrible paste.

Andron Taps Forum Mod

Faktrl is Best Pony

261,803 XP

10th September 2007

4 Uploads

21,761 Posts

1,754 Threads

#45 9 years ago

You said that amd used better paste, and you were basically saying that intel paste is worthless crap, and I was simply stating that I never use the stock paste that comes with my intel chip, I always use aftermarket paste.

"I'd shush her zephyr." ~ Zephyr.

*The.Doctor

Trust me, I'm a Doctor

102,440 XP

25th November 2003

0 Uploads

9,964 Posts

0 Threads

#46 9 years ago
kow_ciller;4914833Dr-- Your gpu most likely doesn't have sinks on the memory which can be a big reason why you cant push it more. Might want to buy some low-profile ramsinks and throw them on there.

Actually it does. The ram uses the same sink base as the core, the only difference is that the core base is copper. This card has Sapphire's Vapor-X cooler, not the reference cooler.

Since i posted that i took it out, popped off the sink, and put some OCZ Freeze on it instead of the stock stuff. I didn't help a whole lot though, maybe only a 1-2C difference at most. I guess whatever Sapphire uses on their Toxic Edition cards is some pretty good stuff.

Can you buy anything better to replace the thermal pad stuff on the ram though?

Nope. With rthdribl I get about 55 for MEMIO and about 49 for the others.

At full load though?

Mr. Pedantic

I would die without GF

234,620 XP

8th October 2006

0 Uploads

23,127 Posts

0 Threads

#47 9 years ago
At full load though?

It might not be 100.0%, but it's pretty close, 99.5% or so.

*The.Doctor

Trust me, I'm a Doctor

102,440 XP

25th November 2003

0 Uploads

9,964 Posts

0 Threads

#48 9 years ago

After doing a 30min ATI Tool run at 100% load, i topped out at 67 display, 71 shader core, and 91 MEMIO.

Mr. Pedantic

I would die without GF

234,620 XP

8th October 2006

0 Uploads

23,127 Posts

0 Threads

#49 9 years ago
After doing a 30min ATI Tool run at 100% load, i topped out at 67 display, 71 shader core, and 91 MEMIO.

My temps top out after about five minutes or so, even after an hour it only gets maybe 1 degree higher.

kow_ciller

Gettin' hardware chilly

50 XP

16th June 2004

0 Uploads

5,787 Posts

0 Threads

#50 9 years ago

I know its not the same card, but 45* gpu, 49* shader, and 49*mem. For my very heavily overclocked 4850.

For the pads there isn't really anything better you can get for a replacement. If you're going to stick with the stock heatsink thats about as good as your temps get. And im kind of suprised by the temps on my mem/vregs. They dont have any active cooling on them at all just the little ramsinks that come with the hr-03 and everything runs nice and cool.