Mr. Pedantic

I would die without GF

234,620 XP

8th October 2006

0 Uploads

23,127 Posts

0 Threads

#51 9 years ago
For the pads there isn't really anything better you can get for a replacement. If you're going to stick with the stock heatsink thats about as good as your temps get. And im kind of suprised by the temps on my mem/vregs. They dont have any active cooling on them at all just the little ramsinks that come with the hr-03 and everything runs nice and cool.

Well, I run my 4870 with the stock heatsink. Which is sort of why I want to change. It's not that it's too hot or anything, but it's pretty loud, and I want to start trying to quieten my system down a bit. And first to go looks like the 4870 stock cooler.

*The.Doctor

Trust me, I'm a Doctor

102,440 XP

25th November 2003

0 Uploads

9,964 Posts

0 Threads

#52 9 years ago

kow_ciller;4915410I know its not the same card, but 45* gpu, 49* shader, and 49*mem. For my very heavily overclocked 4850.

For the pads there isn't really anything better you can get for a replacement. If you're going to stick with the stock heatsink thats about as good as your temps get. And im kind of suprised by the temps on my mem/vregs. They dont have any active cooling on them at all just the little ramsinks that come with the hr-03 and everything runs nice and cool.

Well, the VRAM and Vregs on a 4850 will never run as hot as they will on a 4870 anyways just by the way they are designed. The digital PWM circuitry and high clocked GDDR5 mem puts out a lot more heat than even a overclocked 4850.

It seems MEMIO temps like mine are common for 4870's. I've seen people getting even 100+ (even up to 120C) on them with the stock coolers. 80-90C seems to be where most of them are sitting at.

I may have to invest in a HR-03 GT if i can find a good deal on one and see what that would do for my temps. Too bad Newegg doesn't carry them.

kow_ciller

Gettin' hardware chilly

50 XP

16th June 2004

0 Uploads

5,787 Posts

0 Threads

#53 9 years ago
Mr. Pedantic

I would die without GF

234,620 XP

8th October 2006

0 Uploads

23,127 Posts

0 Threads

#54 9 years ago

Bugger. Doesn't ship to New Zealand. But that's okay, I've found an HR-03 for NZD 75 - that's roughly US$47 - not bad!

C38368

...burning angel wings to dust

50 XP

14th February 2004

0 Uploads

5,013 Posts

0 Threads

#55 9 years ago

*The.Doctor;4914819Touching those pads is not really that big of a deal. That crap they use is pretty durable. Hell, if one tears or falls apart you can just mash it back together and it will still work well enough. Sure it won't work as well as a new, but it will still be good enough. If you don't want to worry about getting oil off your fingers on them, just stretch a little piece of plastic wrap around your finger first.

Speaking of 4870 temps, does anybody else have a really high temp for "MEMIO" (use GPU-Z to see it) compared to the other temps? At full load with ATI Tool i get about 64-66C max on the display temp, and about the same for the shader core, but the MEMIO temp is way up at 88-89C. I've done some googling about it and can't find any clear info on that. I was wondering it this might be the reason my VRAM won't budge at all over 1000.

I honestly don't remember which chip it is any longer, but the original run of 4870s had on IC what ran absurdly hot. Like, burn your fingers hot. It was contacted by the stock HSF assembly, but the card would not run if this chip was not only sinked, but also under airflow.

If you have an early card, then this is probably it. Later revisions (which I believe are missing that giant VITEC IC) may have fixed this.

Just a thought... I can't vouch for the accuracy of my recollection at this point, and I'm much to lazy to go dig through XS' forums to find it.