500mb 12 replies

Please wait...

I didn't make it!

0 XP

#1 13 years ago

I have a file thats more than 550MB and I need to get it from my upstairs compute to my downstairs computer. I cant copy it to a cd cause my cd drive is broken, and e-mail didnt work. IS there any other way?

Komrad_B

Score Monkey

45,850 XP

2nd September 2004

0 Uploads

4,500 Posts

0 Threads

#2 13 years ago

Well, if you are desperate you can hook one of your hard drives to the other computer.

I didn't make it!

0 XP

#3 13 years ago

How do you do that? Would you be able to put it back after you do it.

UNDIESRULES

Waffle-Sprocket is broke

11,795 XP

24th November 2003

0 Uploads

1,097 Posts

0 Threads

#4 13 years ago

Id stick the working cd drive from downstairs in the upstairs pc, burn the disc off then put the cd drive back in the downstairs one. Assuming the downstairs pc has a cd burner.

C38368

...burning angel wings to dust

50 XP

14th February 2004

0 Uploads

5,013 Posts

0 Threads

#5 13 years ago
U-S of AHow do you do that? Would you be able to put it back after you do it.

Yes. 1) Turn off source computer, open cover and remove hard drive. 2) Turn off destination computer, open cover, and install hard drive from source computer. Disconnect an optical drive if you have to. 3) Boot up destination computer. 4) Once inside the OS, navigate to the drive from the source computer (in Windows, it will most likely be the last "Local Disk", unless you did something really weird). 5) Find the file to be copied on the source disk. Click on it, then go to "Edit" and select "Copy". 6) Navigate to wherever you'd like to put it on the destination drive, click on that location, go to "Edit" and click "Paste". 7) Once copied, turn off the destination computer. Unplug the source drive (don't forget to plug anything back in that you unplugged at first. Replace the cover and you're done with the destination drive. The file has been copied. 8) Plug the source drive back into the source computer, close the cover and boot back up. The file is still on that drive (unless you screwed up somewhere along the line). Congratulations, you've now copied a large file in the most cumbersome way possible, and are a better geek for it. The file now exists on both computers.

thirstyg

Slightly cooler than a n00b

50 XP

1st June 2005

0 Uploads

36 Posts

0 Threads

#6 13 years ago
C38368 Congratulations, you've now copied a large file in the most cumbersome way possible, and are a better geek for it. The file now exists on both computers.

Amen. Or, you could use yousendit.com

Revenge VIP Member

Shizzle my nizzle

117,165 XP

28th July 2004

0 Uploads

10,354 Posts

0 Threads

#7 13 years ago

Yeah, online web storage is an option, or if you have a terrible upload speed and the CDRW thing doesn't work you could try disk spanning and send each chunk by email (15 or so megabytes per section). PowerArchiver does it, as well as 7z (find it on Sourceforge).

t0m

.!?

50 XP

30th January 2004

0 Uploads

3,207 Posts

0 Threads

#8 13 years ago

Filefront offers free unlimited hosting and unlimited bandwidth if the file is legitimate and not copyrighted. You can sign up at http://www.filefront.com

I didn't make it!

0 XP

#9 13 years ago

I made a mistake, the file is actually 2.06 GB. That yousendit thing would have worked but it sayed up to 1GB. I think it was 500mb becuase it got compressed so I could e-mail it. The file im trying to send is battlefield 2 so I dont know if fileplanet will let me put it on there. I paid for it fair and square, its just that the cd drive on my good computer doesnt work but the one on my bad one does so i installed it on there but the slow computer is too slow to play the game.

Truce

Closer.

50 XP

26th November 2004

0 Uploads

2,729 Posts

0 Threads

#10 13 years ago

It probably wouldn't work anyway, then. Can you switch the CD drives between your computers?