18th April 2006

0 Uploads

3,091 Posts

0 Threads

#2 7 years ago

I didn't make it!

0 XP

#3 7 years ago

sorry about that i was at school when I made this thread and there computers didnt allow me to copy and paste so i did my best to type it out letter for letter. ;)

>Omen<

Modern Warfare

50 XP

1st January 2005

0 Uploads

7,395 Posts

0 Threads

#4 7 years ago

Guru3D's review of it: Radeon HD 6990 review

It's definitely a beast of a card. Far as I can tell from what I've read the cheapest US models should be running around $600. Seems the main market niche is going to be those with 2560 displays, it really shines at that res. Not sure I'd want to put up with the noise and ATI drivers though.

Lately I've been pondering a U2711 after seeing my HDTV start to go out on me and TV prices not stabilizing very well. Monitors are always made more rugged than TVs. I'm also considering a hefty dual GPU card because it turns out dual video cards the way I'd planned could be tricky.

I discovered recently if I run two rear venting video cards I'd have to actually mod my case a bit if I place them far apart to accommodate the PCI sound card I've been considering. Although there's room for a GPU in the lowest Pci-Ex slot to hang down below the MB, there's no 8th expansion slot like some cases have to vent the heat out the back.

It would be a matter of drilling or cutting a vent slot there. So that 3yr warranty Antec puts on the case could very well be void by it. I'm not positive on that though, they are flexible with some things and might have the decency to understand that such a mod would not affect switches, fans, etc.

kow_ciller

Gettin' hardware chilly

50 XP

16th June 2004

0 Uploads

5,787 Posts

0 Threads

#5 7 years ago

Looks like a nice card, but ati needs to get their shit together when it comes to allowing volts on the core. Seems like they're completely giving up when it comes to the high-end market =/

*Daedalus

A Phoenix from the ashes

50 XP

18th April 2006

0 Uploads

3,091 Posts

0 Threads

#6 7 years ago

>Omen<;5476290Lately I've been pondering a U2711 after seeing my HDTV start to go out on me and TV prices not stabilizing very well. Monitors are always made more rugged than TVs. I'm also considering a hefty dual GPU card because it turns out dual video cards the way I'd planned could be tricky.

I discovered recently if I run two rear venting video cards I'd have to actually mod my case a bit if I place them far apart to accommodate the PCI sound card I've been considering. Although there's room for a GPU in the lowest Pci-Ex slot to hang down below the MB, there's no 8th expansion slot like some cases have to vent the heat out the back.

I have the U2410, and it's a wonderful monitor. Miles ahead of every other monitor I've used.

You could always watercool the cards. That'd give you the extra slots. Even just shoving an Omni on one of them or something.

I didn't make it!

0 XP

#7 7 years ago

I guess that card could appeal to ppl that are playing metro 2033 at 19x1080p becuaSE the 580 even struggles with that game

*Daedalus

A Phoenix from the ashes

50 XP

18th April 2006

0 Uploads

3,091 Posts

0 Threads

#8 7 years ago

Not really. I dunno what sort of framerates I get, but the game is pretty smooth for me maxed out.

I didn't make it!

0 XP

#9 7 years ago

download fraps and tell me roughly what your getting... you have a 580?

&gt;Omen&lt;

Modern Warfare

50 XP

1st January 2005

0 Uploads

7,395 Posts

0 Threads

#10 7 years ago

@Kow, I haven't looked at the specifics of the OCing on the 6990 yet, but it seems to me part of the reason the bench results show it being limited and maybe also why they didn't offer over volting if that's the case is because A) they didn't down clock it drastically like some dual GPU cards are so it's already performing closer to peak because of it, and B) it already consumes a massive amount of power even as is.

That being said it actually does fairly well regarding heat compared to the 400 series Nvidias, but from what is said it's hair dryer loud despite the dual vapor chamber cooler. Allowing overvolting might put it into the airplane db level, so maybe that should be a C) added to the above A) and B).

@Daed, I'm really not inclined to want to spend $200 on an Omni when I can merely get out the drill or hacksaw and solve the problem without spending anything. I may do that regardless of what Antec says if I even choose to ask them. I also might end up going with Nvidia's next dual GPU card vs two cards anyway, esp if they make a dual 28nm one anytime soon, which would simply rock big time.

On the display, it's to be my do it all monitor, so it has to serve for TV too. Previously I had entertained the thought of getting a PC HDTV tuner, like the OnAir GT, but those are fairly expensive and their rep recently left the company, leaving what WAS the only one with good software support hanging regarding customer service and needed updates.

I HAVE considered AverMedia though, whom also have top rated PC HDTV tuners, and they're more affordable too. I have to say though, TV is a love/hate affair for me and I often wonder if I'm fooling myself thinking I need a TV at all. A lot of the TV shows I like I end up watching recaps of via the net anyway, and there's not really that many shows I care to watch. Sometimes late at night I'll have the TV on while on the net and not even be paying attention to it.

On Metro 2033 I agree, it's not that hungry if you're sensible about settings. I play it at 1280x960 on High detail with just a cheap $70 GTS 250 and it looks quite good and plays smoothly. Admittedly I AM better off sticking to DX9 with this GPU though. I like the game for the most part but I wonder if it's going to piss me off when I get to that Biomass level where you have to babysit the Cpt through the gooey critters. That spot was pretty hard for me even on the easiest mode. I've yet to try upgrading or buying weapons though. Guess I have to study up on it more.

Oh, btw, Corsair said they ran out of the H50 fans when I told them I wanted an exact match for push/pull vs my slightly unmatched current setup. They said they'd send me a couple H70 fans free of charge though, which makes up for them leaving me hanging for over a month and not telling me they ran out of H50 ones. They're 2000 vs 1700 RPM, and 61 vs 59 CFM with around 1.75db more noise. Guess I'll see if it brings me any closer to the H70 performance.