Bs|Archaon

I would die without GF

50 XP

15th March 2006

0 Uploads

5,910 Posts

0 Threads

#11 12 years ago

Mess about with your TV's settings. LCDs (that I've used/seen) are never brilliant with black to be honest.

Shintsu

For the glory of Helghan

50 XP

9th April 2005

0 Uploads

12,926 Posts

0 Threads

#12 12 years ago

I'm just having a tough time deciding if I should keep it or return it and wait and spend a little more for a nicer Glass tube or Flat Panel. I spent $620 and after I send off rebates it'll only cost $480, but it's regularly $700. I was thinking about a Samsung or LG 30" Widescreen Glass Tube that both go for around $700-800. It's perfect aside from the sound (I can hook speakers and stuff up to it though) and the blacks. They look fine unless it's trying to make a dark area like horror games do a lot. So can a Glass tube HDTV look as good as an LCD HDTV? I know I can't see any lines or anything on this LCD but I can't remember if I could with my old Toshiba HDTV.

Bs|Archaon

I would die without GF

50 XP

15th March 2006

0 Uploads

5,910 Posts

0 Threads

#13 12 years ago

As a rule, CRT is inferior to modern LCD. It's good for HDTV on a budget, but that's about it. Sharp makes good stuff, we have a 32" Sharp Aquos but remember you still won't get 1080 unless you go for around 40" or larger.

Shintsu

For the glory of Helghan

50 XP

9th April 2005

0 Uploads

12,926 Posts

0 Threads

#14 12 years ago

So is there any LCD that is in the $800 or less range or so that can make almost true dark blacks? That is my only complaint and I know all glass tubes can do pure black.

C38368

...burning angel wings to dust

50 XP

14th February 2004

0 Uploads

5,013 Posts

0 Threads

#15 12 years ago

As far as proper black reproduction goes, the pecking order is more or less: CRT, plasma, LCoS, DLP, LCD. Three-chip DLP solutions give better color than their one-chip consumer cousins, but I don't know how they are for blacks (and you probably can't afford one, anyway).

Short answer: No. SED displays might make up the gap, but I've lost hope in that technology being released as viable anytime soon...

Shintsu

For the glory of Helghan

50 XP

9th April 2005

0 Uploads

12,926 Posts

0 Threads

#16 12 years ago

So would I be better off getting a Glass tube and dealing with slight imperfections or whatever or getting an LCD and dealing with somewhat crappy black production? Sorry to ask so many questions, but I plan on keeping this set for 5-10 years or longer.

Bs|Archaon

I would die without GF

50 XP

15th March 2006

0 Uploads

5,910 Posts

0 Threads

#17 12 years ago

Unless you're playing Doom 3 on it 24/7 I'd go for the LCD and live with the relatively poor black reproduction. I'd rather have better visual quality most of the time and dodgy blacks when blacks are being displayed; than better blacks and lower visual quality all the time.

Shintsu

For the glory of Helghan

50 XP

9th April 2005

0 Uploads

12,926 Posts

0 Threads

#18 12 years ago

So what is it that Glass tube HDTVs do so badly? The only problem I had with the Toshiba was some green/red ghosting and it cut off parts of the screen and I figured that was a problem with Toshiba and their set. Other than that it looked fine, but being I'm very picky I couldn't stand it and hence why I'm probably having this discussion about LCD sets.

C38368

...burning angel wings to dust

50 XP

14th February 2004

0 Uploads

5,013 Posts

0 Threads

#19 12 years ago

Are you feeding it a digital signal? If not, the LCD will look utterly horrendous.

Even with a digital signal, I still see way too much macroblocking for the cost. Far, far too expensive.

As an aside, why have you discounted plasma, DLP and LCoS sets?

Shintsu

For the glory of Helghan

50 XP

9th April 2005

0 Uploads

12,926 Posts

0 Threads

#20 12 years ago

Being I've never even considered digital signal, I seriously doubt I am using it. However, I can see some HD channels on this set my others cannot and I just pay for basic cable. I just have a standard RF cable connected to the back of my set and when I had my old JVC in here it looked just fine but this set looks grainer and has more lines.

Oh and there's only one reason I've never considered them: I want to stay in the $800 and less range ($900 is my absolute max) and every one of those sets is over 1k easily. I've seen both LCD and Glass Tube within my price range and thats why I've confined myself to them. Show me a DLP, Plasma, or LCoS that's in that price range and I might be interested, although I can't get much bigger than 32 or 34".