8600m vs 9550 8 replies

Please wait...

WindowsVistaGeek19

Cum catapultae proscriptae, erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

50 XP

10th November 2006

0 Uploads

1,322 Posts

0 Threads

#1 11 years ago

I know it may seem like an awkward comparison at first, but I need to compare the 8600m GT to my current desktop card, the ATi Radeon 9550 (amazing card in its day.) I'm considering buying the Dell Vostro laptop. My configuration is as follows: 1.6 Ghz Core 2 Duo, 800 Mhz FSB, 2 Mb Cache 1 gb 667 Mhz DDR2 SDRAM 120 gb 5400 RPM HDD 8600m GT The rest is really irrelevant to the topic at hand. I'm going to be doing some light gaming on it (light as in "every so often", not as in "playing games that don't demand much of your system"). The other uses are just general school work and internet use, which I know it can handle easily. The question is about the video card. This particular model uses GDDR2 memory, not GDDR3. The memory is clocked somewhere between 400-700 mhz, as well as the core. I want to know how well it will perform with modern games, such as TES: Oblivion, CS:S, F.E.A.R., BFME2 (and ROTWK), C&C3, Supreme Commander, Halo 2 Vista etc... as well as how it can be expected to perform in Directx 10 enabled games, such as Crysis (note: that before I would play Crysis with this, I would upgrade the CPU and RAM to 2.0 ghz and 2 gb at least.) All of games would be running (unfortunately with only 1 gb of RAM [will probably upgrade]) under Vista. What settings will I be able to play under? Will I be able to use medium-high? How will the performance rank in comparision to my old ATi Radeon 9550? (DDR memory). Obviously it would perform better, but how much? The video card performance is basically the deciding factor between me buying the Vostro 1500, or the Inspiron 1520, which comes automatically with 2 gb's of RAM, and has the option for the 8600m GT with GDDR3 memory for a couple hundred dollars more. Please state your opinions if you can.

Rookie VIP Member

128,030 XP

3rd May 2005

0 Uploads

11,953 Posts

0 Threads

#2 11 years ago

WindowsVistaGeek19;3825900I know it may seem like an awkward comparison at first, but I need to compare the 8600m GT to my current desktop card, the ATi Radeon 9550 (amazing card in its day.) I'm considering buying the Dell Vostro laptop. My configuration is as follows: 1.6 Ghz Core 2 Duo, 800 Mhz FSB, 2 Mb Cache 1 gb 667 Mhz DDR2 SDRAM 120 gb 5400 RPM HDD 8600m GT ...

I want to know how well it will perform with modern games, such as TES: Oblivion, CS:S, F.E.A.R., BFME2 (and ROTWK), C&C3, Supreme Commander, Halo 2 Vista etc...[/quote] With that configuration, very well indeed. The 8600 may be a midrange card but it's certainly no slouch. Some higher end variants can even oustrip the top-end cards of the previous generation. [quote=WindowsVistaGeek19;3825900]as well as how it can be expected to perform in Directx 10 enabled games, such as Crysis (note: that before I would play Crysis with this, I would upgrade the CPU and RAM to 2.0 ghz and 2 gb at least.) All of games would be running (unfortunately with only 1 gb of RAM [will probably upgrade]) under Vista. What settings will I be able to play under? Will I be able to use medium-high? How will the performance rank in comparision to my old ATi Radeon 9550? (DDR memory). Obviously it would perform better, but how much?

Well, DirectX10 is a non-issue when compared against your 9550, since it doesn't support it anyway. =p

However, I would expect that the card itself should be capable of at least medium performance in Crysis, for example, although I really would recommend upgrading to 2gb of RAM. In any case, it would seriously trounce your old 9550, in several orders of magnitude.

WindowsVistaGeek19

50 XP

10th November 2006

0 Uploads

1,322 Posts

0 Threads

#3 11 years ago
In any case, it would seriously trounce your old 9550, in several orders of magnitude.

Yes it would, though my old 9550 still stands up to Oblivion on high, will some lag. (no AA or filtering though :p) So even with the GDDRII memory instead of GDDRIII, it will perform well on high settings on most of those games (exluding Crysis)? (And me upgrading my RAM was a given, it's just that Dell charges $150 for the RAM upgrade to 2 gb's. :p

*The.Doctor

Trust me, I'm a Doctor

102,440 XP

25th November 2003

0 Uploads

9,964 Posts

0 Threads

#4 11 years ago
WindowsVistaGeek19 So even with the GDDRII memory instead of GDDRIII, it will perform well on high settings on most of those games (exluding Crysis)?

You need to be looking at the clock speeds of the memory. GDDR2 and GDDR3 is the type of memory installed on the card. GDDR2 and GDDR3 clocked at the same speed are going to give you virtually identical performance on the same card. The advantage to having GDDR3 is its ability to be run at higher clock speeds than GDDR2 or DDR.

If the GDDR3 version is clocked at good bit higher, go for it. If its clocked the same, or only a few Mhz higher than the GDDR2 version, its probably not going to be worth a few hundred more.

WindowsVistaGeek19

50 XP

10th November 2006

0 Uploads

1,322 Posts

0 Threads

#5 11 years ago
Well, DirectX10 is a non-issue when compared against your 9550, since it doesn't support it anyway. =p

[sarcasm]No, really?[/sarcasm] lol, thanks again for the help.

If the GDDR3 version is clocked at good bit higher, go for it. If its clocked the same, or only a few Mhz higher than the GDDR2 version, its probably not going to be worth a few hundred more.

But is it worth the extra money? (several hundred dollars) I don't think so.

*The.Doctor

Trust me, I'm a Doctor

102,440 XP

25th November 2003

0 Uploads

9,964 Posts

0 Threads

#6 11 years ago
WindowsVistaGeek19 But is it worth the extra money? (several hundred dollars) I don't think so.

Uh, No. Not for several hundred dollars more just to get GDDR3, No.

Unless the Inspiron has better base specs, or a bunch of extra features, the Vostro looks better.

(note: that before I would play Crysis with this, I would upgrade the CPU

Not with a laptop your not.

WindowsVistaGeek19

50 XP

10th November 2006

0 Uploads

1,322 Posts

0 Threads

#7 11 years ago
Not with a laptop your not.

With Dell laptops, you can send them in for upgrades.

Uh, No. Not for several hundred dollars more just to get GDDR3, No.

Unless the Inspiron has better base specs, or a bunch of extra features, the Vostro looks better.

But I do have the coupon for the Inspiron, which would bring down the price to equal the Vostro's. Plus the Inspiron comes automatically with 2 gb's of RAM and a 160 GB HDD. Additionally, I just read that the deal on the Vostros that made them $215 cheaper ends tomorrow. :( Seems like I'll be getting the Inspiron, unless they come up with a coupon for the Vostro's soon. (My coupon for the Inspiron expires some time in August. The deal on the Vostros end August 1st.)

*The.Doctor

Trust me, I'm a Doctor

102,440 XP

25th November 2003

0 Uploads

9,964 Posts

0 Threads

#8 11 years ago
WindowsVistaGeek19With Dell laptops, you can send them in for upgrades.

Ah, i wasn't aware of that.

How much is the upgrade then? It might be cheaper just to get the faster CPU right away.

But I do have the coupon for the Inspiron, which would bring down the price to equal the Vostro's.

Well then that changes things. Since you have a coupon for the Inspiron that would match the Vostros price, and the deal on the Vostro is ending, then the Inspiron would be the best choice. Plus you get 2GB ram and a larger hard drive and the GDDR3 8600.

WindowsVistaGeek19

50 XP

10th November 2006

0 Uploads

1,322 Posts

0 Threads

#9 11 years ago
How much is the upgrade then? It might be cheaper just to get the faster CPU right away

I don't have the money for that, lol.

Well then that changes things. Since you have a coupon for the Inspiron that would match the Vostros price, and the deal on the Vostro is ending, then the Inspiron would be the best choice. Plus you get 2GB ram and a larger hard drive and the GDDR3 8600.

I was incorrect. The way I configured the Inspiron with the coupon turns out to be 100 dollars more. This is still worth it, in my opinion, but I have to save up now. :(