Metall_pingwin

Call me Pingwin

50 XP

25th May 2005

0 Uploads

7,238 Posts

0 Threads

#1 10 years ago

For a long time Ive been craving to upgrade my computer, but never did it for two reasons. Partly, because i wasn't quite ready to dish out $300, but mostly, because I couldn't use Dx10, as I had no Vista. However now I know that within the next month or two, I will have Vista on my computer. I might have to end up buying it myself, in which case Ill probably go with the very basic edition, or my dad's company might get him one, which Ill get, in which case any version comes into play. And now that I know I will have Vista, I'm ready to buy a new graphics card, which I decided will be the Ge Force 8800 GT, thanks to which Ill get a great card, and Dx10. But I have two dilemmas. First, I notice that there are many different brands, or manufacturers for the card. All of them seem to be priced around the same, but I doubt that they are all perform equally. What are the differences, and which is the superior brand? Second, when it comes to Vista, I need help on picking out the version to buy. The main question arises between the 32 and 64 bit versions. What are the differences, pluses, and downsides of both? I believe that RAM comes into play here, so just for future reference, I have 3 Gigabytes. Also, what are the true, not Microsoft advertised ups and downs of the different Vista editions?

Oblivious

I tawt I taw a puddy tat...

50 XP

30th December 2002

0 Uploads

2,806 Posts

0 Threads

#2 10 years ago

Get 32 bit Vista, no question about it. 64 bit is seriously lacking in mainstream support (like video drivers). The 3gb of ram you have now is good as 32 bit is limited to just beyond that.

On which 8800GT brand to get, EVGA, BFG, XFX are some of the highest regarded brands, with Asus and MSI being decent as well. As far as their performance goes, they should all be relatively close to the same. The main differences with the brands is typically the warranty, the QC, and the quality of the fan/heatsink assemblies.

SteVen

"World's Best Boss"

50 XP

14th August 2004

0 Uploads

3,254 Posts

0 Threads

#3 10 years ago
Metall_pingwin;4011183 But I have two dilemmas. First, I notice that there are many different brands, or manufacturers for the card. All of them seem to be priced around the same, but I doubt that they are all perform equally. What are the differences, and which is the superior brand?

You'd be fine with any of them really, the more popular brands (and most reliable I suppose) would be EVGA, XFX, or ASUS. You'd probably want your answers about Vista from someone else who uses it, I've still yet to.

Metall_pingwin

Call me Pingwin

50 XP

25th May 2005

0 Uploads

7,238 Posts

0 Threads

#4 10 years ago
Oblivious;4011195the quality of the fan/heatsink assemblies.

For the fan I would still use the one I have right now. The stock fan on my Readeon X800XL Would continously fail, and the card melted on me twice, so I bought a new metal fan, witch a neat LED and separate power source. Needless to say, though i don't get to see the LED, the fan works like a charm.

SteVen

"World's Best Boss"

50 XP

14th August 2004

0 Uploads

3,254 Posts

0 Threads

#5 10 years ago
Metall_pingwin;4011214For the fan I would still use the one I have right now. The stock fan on my Readeon X800XL Would continously fail, and the card melted on me twice, so I bought a new metal fan, witch a neat LED and separate power source. Needless to say, though i don't get to see the LED, the fan works like a charm.

I highly doubt the fan you have now will fit on a 8800GT.

Cap'n Rommel

The Good

50 XP

7th August 2004

0 Uploads

8,766 Posts

0 Threads

#6 10 years ago

For the card I got a review for you here :

Literatur | Zotac 8800GT UK | Hardware-TEST Portalen

Metall_pingwin

Call me Pingwin

50 XP

25th May 2005

0 Uploads

7,238 Posts

0 Threads

#7 10 years ago

Well, looks like ill be holding off on the purchase after all. It seems that every model of the damn card is sold out. :p

Oblivious

I tawt I taw a puddy tat...

50 XP

30th December 2002

0 Uploads

2,806 Posts

0 Threads

#8 10 years ago

Give it a few days; the GT's will be back. Just keep your eye on the websites as they'll keep selling out quickly like this for a month or so, so you'll need to be ready to pounce on it. ;)

jimbo_0002

Yep

50 XP

2nd August 2007

0 Uploads

450 Posts

0 Threads

#9 10 years ago
Metall_pingwin;4011723Well, looks like ill be holding off on the purchase after all. It seems that every model of the damn card is sold out. :p

haha bummer isnt it, i couldnt find one anywhere!! i ordered one today though so should have it by next week :) I aslo purchased 32bit vista and 4gb (2x2gb) i know it cant read it all but i didnt want the 64bit because of driver issues and some game issues!

Jeff Über Admin

⬆️⬆️⬇️⬇️⬅️➡️⬅️➡️🅱🅰

184,624 XP

6th April 2000

0 Uploads

14,591 Posts

1,534 Threads

#10 10 years ago

I was the one that made it more common knowledge that 32bit couldn't address all 4gigs of memory. After further research I found out it can, but that's it's absolute maximum, including graphics ram. So, the more graphics ram you have the less of that 4 gigs of system memory it will read. If you have a graphics card with 1gig of ram on it, your system will only read 3 gigs of system memory for example.

Everyone should stop being scared of that dreaded 64bit number. Seriously, I've encountered no issues that I didn't encounter in 32bit vista. I have [legit] copies of 32bit ultimate and 64bit business. I run this just fine and haven't encountered any crashes or errors that weren't related to an nvidia driver issue in the past. I haven't had a system related issue since its install and a game related one in months and none of the issues was directly a result of running a 64bit OS. Not one of them.

People need to stop feeding the paranoia train and just try it before making an assessment instead of listening to impatient friends who couldn't be bothered with trying to diagnose an issue and simply said vista sucks. You'll do everyone a favor then.

Product Manager | GameFront.com