mlapgw

I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

1st October 2005

0 Uploads

11 Posts

0 Threads

#1 13 years ago

I just bought a new computer with a 7800Gt graphics card. When surfing the net or doing documents the graphics card temp reads 47C after playing games it is 57C. Is this ok temps or should I be looking at finding more cooling? If this is ok is there a temp where I may want to start looking at cooling adjustments?

Asus A8N SLI Premiuim AMD 3500+ 2 GB Corsair XMS Gaming Ram 7800GT

Pethegreat VIP Member

Lord of the Peach

70 XP

19th April 2004

0 Uploads

20,892 Posts

0 Threads

#2 13 years ago

That is good condiering my 6800gt will idle at around 50c and go upto 60c during games.

No need to worry.

mlapgw

I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

1st October 2005

0 Uploads

11 Posts

0 Threads

#3 13 years ago

Ok thanks. I'm a newb when it comes to hardware. I never knew what temps those things ran at and I wanted to be sure I was ok.

I didn't make it!

0 XP

#4 13 years ago

this is my cooling system i made. computer.jpg a picture of it is comming asap i get a digital camera. OCed to 540 i get around 45c idel, 58c in games, i have no problems with it. cost about 200 bucks, and some trips to home depot and lowes. with a stock cooler i never checked temps, any card going over 60c is pussing it, except the 6600gt, it could take the high temps, but the 7800 should only go up to about 55c, no more.

carl4286

Revenge was here.

50 XP

14th December 2004

0 Uploads

1,605 Posts

0 Threads

#5 13 years ago

$200 bucks? You could get a complete water cooling system with a heat dissipation capacity of atleast twice the system you made for that price. But do the fans blow over some kind of heatsink, or just directly over the copper tubes? My 6800GT idles at around 65C and goes up to about 78C under load. When I overclocked it to 434/1180 it went up to about 83C under load, and at those temps I never saw the slightest hickup in a game (and no artifacts). I think I got lucky with my particular card (great core), but yours should have no problem.

Agentlaidlaw

Pie

50 XP

21st February 2005

0 Uploads

3,801 Posts

0 Threads

#6 13 years ago

my 6800gt idles at 46c and gets to about 54-60c when in a major 3D game and I'm on stock cooling.

carl4286

Revenge was here.

50 XP

14th December 2004

0 Uploads

1,605 Posts

0 Threads

#7 13 years ago

What kind of cooling do you have? I would love temps like that, but I'm in a small form factor case that might as well be air-tight. Some people get idle temps of 50C with an NV5 silencer, and I'm in the mid 60's.

Agentlaidlaw

Pie

50 XP

21st February 2005

0 Uploads

3,801 Posts

0 Threads

#8 13 years ago

I just have the fan/heatsink that came with my Evega 6800gt card. But I do have a crap load of fans in my case and have like 2 air vents underneath my card to get good air flow to cool it down.

I didn't make it!

0 XP

#9 13 years ago
carl4286$200 bucks? You could get a complete water cooling system with a heat dissipation capacity of atleast twice the system you made for that price. But do the fans blow over some kind of heatsink, or just directly over the copper tubes?

i have owned top of the line water coolers that cant compare to what iv built here. the 6 fans i have on it, front and back, are taken off radiator blocks available in a water cooling kit that a 80mm fan hooks onto. the 3 bulk heads are a copper radiator grid that have a fan on the front blowing back, and on the back blowing back, so its one direction straight through. total of 6 fans, its actaully not as loud as you think, i have cut the vibration and all you can hear is air moving through copper, which isnt loud. its better than having water in the case, and i diddnt feel like making de-ionized water, which dosent conduct. it wound up costing that much because i also had to include the pay for custom weilds, and the 6 fans, which are around 10 bucks each, thats 60 bucks alone there, 90 for the professional weilds, and the rest of it was for the copper i had to work and bend myself. the small hand tool i used to bend it was inexpensive. every water cooling device iv tested on cards dosent work as well as this. they are conveinent in other ways, like not weighing 30 pounds!