Dragokatzov

GF is my bext friend *hugs GF*

50 XP

24th January 2005

0 Uploads

1,363 Posts

0 Threads

#1 12 years ago

I'm not impressed with this so called computer I have. Maybe its the preformance junkie in me coming out, but its just not up to snuff in my opinion

So, I am seriously considering putting together a new box here in a few monthes. I want an AMD CPU, but is AM2 any good at all? I know current DDR2 ram has latency issues which are slowly but surly being resolved, so i read. But also, there are no 1meg cache cpu's for AM2. except for the FX line, and i would like to save some dough here. so... what it all boils down to is.... if you were building a new AMD rig now, would you go with AM2 or S939?

DesChut3s

The Internet ends at GF

50 XP

6th July 2006

0 Uploads

137 Posts

0 Threads

#2 12 years ago

Personally, I would go with the 939, mainly because their interest and community support is still boiling. Though, you have to live with the concern that in order to upgrade to any new AMD processor, you'll need to upgrade the motherboard as well. I haven't heard much about performance differences with 939 and AM2 - but my guess is it's just a redesign. In any case, 939 WILL be cheaper.

Bs|Archaon

I would die without GF

50 XP

15th March 2006

0 Uploads

5,910 Posts

0 Threads

#3 12 years ago

I'd go AM2, 939 will limit you in the future unless you go for a low end CPU like a 3200+ and plan to upgrade it to, say, a 4000+ later. Motherboards and RAM are not the most expensive things to buy, but it's money you won't be able to spend on a more meaningful upgrade in the future.

dysfunctional

I work too much

50 XP

25th August 2003

0 Uploads

174 Posts

0 Threads

#4 12 years ago

I would go towards AM2 for two reasons: 1. I like the fact that it can use DDR2-800. 2. I love playing with new technology. There's no real reason to make the switch quite yet, as far as I know.

C38368

...burning angel wings to dust

50 XP

14th February 2004

0 Uploads

5,013 Posts

0 Threads

#5 12 years ago

AM2 doesn't benefit much at all from DDR2; the memory controller on the S939 CPUs is just that good. AM2 is also a new product: most price points haven't been switched over yet, so there's a lack of choice on that front.

Verdict: Stay with 939 for now. Re-evaluate AM2 in three or four months.

Agentlaidlaw

Pie

50 XP

21st February 2005

0 Uploads

3,801 Posts

0 Threads

#6 12 years ago

I would go AM2. They can upgrade to any new AM2 processor that will come, runs cooler, uses less power, and newer. Speed wise the S939 and AM2 are the same as of right now. In Winter 2006 AMD is post to come out with some new AM2 lines but we shall see...

Aristotle13

My karmas' my armor

50 XP

29th December 2005

0 Uploads

428 Posts

0 Threads

#7 12 years ago

what kind of proc and mem are you running now? if your mobo and mem is willing, OC the chit out of it now, by the time it burns up you'll have more choices with AM2. I say if you can hold out wait for 1st-2nd quarter next year to go AM2/DX10/Vista. for me I'll go Conroe/DX10/Vista

Dragokatzov

GF is my bext friend *hugs GF*

50 XP

24th January 2005

0 Uploads

1,363 Posts

0 Threads

#8 12 years ago

right now, i have a dell deminsion 8400, with a P4 640 @ 3.2Ghz, and 1 gig of dual channel DDR2 memory at 400Mhz. I don't think i can upgrade to faster ram, every time i ask them, they do not seem able to understand the question, also i bet the motherboard is probably causing a few bottel necks as well becasue "its not ment for gaming". thats what i am told, atleast.

Bs|Archaon

I would die without GF

50 XP

15th March 2006

0 Uploads

5,910 Posts

0 Threads

#9 12 years ago

You can upgrade it with faster RAM but there's no real point. What I'd do is format it with a clean version of Windows to remove all the junk that comes on their comps. That should make it run faster.

If you're interested in gaming then, uhm, you havn't listed the video card which is probably the most important factor for gaming so I'm guessing it's rubbish.

Aristotle13

My karmas' my armor

50 XP

29th December 2005

0 Uploads

428 Posts

0 Threads

#10 12 years ago

My 2 centabos, I think even if you went with a s939 system now with a decent VC, you would be gaming with your jaws dropped compared to that system, and be doing so for at least the next year, maybe sooner depending on how hungry that tech bug on your shoulder is. I seem to hold a different view than most. To me, right now is the very best time to get a s939 system. There are so many options, great prices right now with all the trend chasers dumping their gear for next to nothing. I feel most jump the gun in an effort to stay ahead, to me it's built around my current requirements. s939 is rounding it's peak and is not quite hit it's axis if you ask me, how many s754 Mobos are still be made and sold. Yes it's coming, just not quite there yet, but that point is arguable. I just put together a modest little s939 system for my wife to game on, and it blows her old dell out of the water. And all I heard that night was "whoa, i never noticed that before". You can live in the "now" or live for the future. "Now" has been doing it for me. At one point or another you have to stop chasing and enjoy the flowers around you, your happy now and you retain your sanity.

My .02